Who gigs with a 2x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Who gigs with a 2x12 cab?
Do you miss not having a 4x12? What type of music do you play?
How is the bass response? How does it sound in general?

Post pics too.

I just started practicing with one ( a Recto Traditional 2z12 cab) and it sounds great.

I'm actually in a rage against the machine tribute band, and kinda like the sound I'm getting. The bass response is so good, I'm thinking about keeping this instead of getting a 4x12.

I gig with a vertical 2x12. The main reason I started doing it was because it's protected by a flight case and my 4x12 isn't. Now, I actually prefer the sound of the 2x12 over that of the 4x12. My band plays pop rock/alt. rock, and I personally play rock, jazz, and blues too. The bass response is great! I only run the bass around 10:00 on the dials.

I don't miss using the 4x12, and am considering getting another vertical 2x12 if we start playing some bigger venues.

I have both the 4x12 and I also have two 2x12 cabs. The 4x12 is overkill for most venues. I take it out once a year to remind myself how much I hate lugging it around. I tried to trade it in but $300 just did not cut it for me. I also sometimes bring both 2x12 cabs but I have found that using 1 cab sounds better because I can push the speakers more. I will go a step further with this and say that I even prefer my 50watt single rectifier better than my Dual rec in many situations. It's hard to push the dual rec without tearing people's faces off in most clubs. My preferences here are all based on practicality. I play with bass player who collects Ampeg SVT heads with 8x10 cabinets. It is awful when you play with ego instead of common sense.

I honestly recommend the 2x12 cab hands down.

I currently use a 1x12 combo..... well, 2 of them - but I A/B them so they aren't used at the same time. I have the Roadster combo and a Vox AC30 1x12 combo. Before that, I used 2x12 combos for a couple of years and before that I used a couple of 2x12's and sometimes a 4x12 in conjunction with one or both 2x12's. To be honest, the 1x12 sounds just as good out front as 2, 4, 6 or 8x12's. In all reality, if you are in a "gigging" band then the lower the stage volume is the better the mix can be out front and it's hard to control your volume with a 4x12 on stage. Even if you're using a 4x12, you're only putting a mic on one speaker.... so in theory, a 1x12 will sound just as good through a PA as two 4x12 cabs.

As for bass response, you're gonna hate part of this comment..... through a mic, a 1x12 or even a 2x12 will still have the same bass response as a 4x12 but it won't feel like it on stage....and actually, you really shouldn't need a lot of bass. If you use too much bass, you start treading in on the Bass players tonal pallett and your amps bass gets burried in the mix...... or when you go to take a lead break (if you're a lead player), the bass disappears and leaves a big gap. So really, you don't need a lot of bass.. It's more for the player, but I bet any soundman will dial out some bass if your tone is too bass heavy.

So to answer your question, a 2x12 will be just fine. It'll give you a fuller sound on stage than a 1x12, but won't be as loud as a 4x12. But in all actuality, a 1x12 is enough.

hope this helps.

Oh yeah, I play everything from country to hard rock (Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Johnny cash to Puddle of Mudd, Creed, Metallica, Alice in Chains, Shinedown, ect...)

tele_jas I really like your musical taste.
Do you think you can post a clip of a Creed song done with your Boogie?

The 2x12" should be perfect. 2 Speakers to move a significant amount of air, while being just compact enough to fit in the backseat of a Mustang. :)

+1 on everything TJ said above.

I also use a 1-12 Roadster Combo now and I don't miss the 2-12 or 4-12 set ups. I certainly don't miss lugging them around.

As far as being heard? Not a problem. I jam with guys who play masa's and marshals through 4-12's and my little 1-12 Roadster has absolutely no problem being heard or cutting through.

That being said, I DID order the roadster 1-12 extension cabinet (yesterday). It's going to be a $450 amp stand for the roadster. Just joking (sorta). Need to wait 'till it comes to see how it sounds at practice/gig volumes. I'm sure it'll be cool but it was a little pricey for a small 1-12 ported cabinet. Actually I think the cab and speaker cost $200 and the mesa boogie badge on the grill cost $250. :)

Gotta love a Mesa!

2x12s sound like crap when on the floor?
Ive seen most people use them on stands or slanted back. Why?

Had two Recto 2x12s (horiz and vert), sold them, bought a 4x12, liked it but it's overkill and actually forces me to turn down (which affects tone). So I re-bought another horizontal Recto 2x12 (the vertical didn't do much for me, apart from being easier to move around).

As far as having it on the floor, I actually prefer the tone of mine that way. It gives the cab some low-end oomph that lets it compete with my 4x12 (without as much loudness).

barneyc4, you can search on e-bay for "amp stand". I have a few of them and they work well for getting your amp up off the floor and angled back a bit. Don't buy a cheap one. I think mine are made by on-stage or pro-line (I probably have both).

Also, a little tip. Turn the upper brackets around (the ones that the amp actually sits on). I don't know why they do this but if you set it up like they're show in the pictures, the amps center of gravity is out too far and is prone to tipping. If you turn the brackets around it shifts the amps center of gravity more towards the center of the stand and it's much more stable.

Or, you can buy a $400-$500 amp stand called the "extension cabinet". I've got oneof those coming too.

Mine sounds great on the floor.

I find that whenever I stack an amp - the treble cuts too much.

i use a 2x12 combo and have it on a stand tilt back so i can hear what the croud is getting for sound. i had a 4x12 cab and would get into all kinds of trouble with volume as long as you are loud enough on stage for the band i like the 2x12 because i like the the sound of a 2x12 but if you are miking your amp a 1x12 will do i use a lss 2x12 class A 30watts and find it plenty loud enough for me. i think most bands mike there amps so you really don't need 4x12 and big amps

I run my F50 thru a Vox 2 x 12 with celestian Neodogs... never fails to impress me, don't understand why anyone would bother with a quad other than for p3nis envy.

For those of you considering buying Mesa amps, cabinets, etc....A 2x12 set-up is the most you need about 95% of the time. I've been a gigging pro in Atlanta for 30 years (first call status for the last two), all styles (except for metal massacre) and hundreds of venues and stages.
I have a 1x12 Studio Caliber 22watt combo that covers me most of the time (usually miced). I have a 1x12 matching ext. cabinet that I bring when I need to move more air for the large stages or loud rock shows. It's kind of like a "mini-stack".
Expandable small combos are the way to go in the long run. The soundmen love it, you're back will thank you, and your bank account will not suffer as much from trying different cabs, speakers, re-tubes, etc. Fine guitars, a versatile amp, and a handful of effects are all the serious player should ever need. Use your head and your hands.

For those of you considering buying Mesa amps, cabinets, etc....A 2x12 set-up is the most you need about 95% of the time. I've been a gigging pro in Atlanta for 30 years (first call status for the last two), all styles (except for metal massacre) and hundreds of venues and stages.
I have a 1x12 Studio Caliber 22watt combo that covers me most of the time (usually miced). I have a 1x12 matching ext. cabinet that I bring when I need to move more air for the large stages or loud rock shows. It's kind of like a "mini-stack".
Expandable small combos are the way to go in the long run. The soundmen love it, you're back will thank you, and your bank account will not suffer as much from trying different cabs, speakers, re-tubes, etc. Fine guitars, a versatile amp, and a handful of effects are all the serious player should ever need. Use your head and your hands.

I have a mint, never-used Avatar Vintage 212 closed-back cab with Hellatone 60L's on hold. Can't wait to get it. $335 shipped. Not a bad deal.

I've only ever gigged with my F-50 combo. I once played through a Recto 212 cab with my F-50 and it sounded awesome. Looking forward to it.

Back