Who cranks the mids?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cisspcism

Reaction score
I have a Mark 3 without graphic eq and I find that these are the best settings for me

presence off
treble 2 (pulled)
mids 6
bass 2
input gain 8
Lead drive 10
master and drive master at 4

I get some serious fat thich crunch tone this way, the clean channel suffers a bit from the boosted mids range, but the whole lead tone sounds so much fatter this way

The mid knob is where it's at man. All amps voice it differently, but on my RKII and my MKIV, I always ride my mids very high. I turn them down a bit if the volume is loud because it gets a bit boomy if you got em cranked when it's loud. But it's not uncommon for me to dime the mid knob if I'm just jammin'.

I do! I do! Cranked mids will make you more virile and attractive to the ladies.
And your house will catch fire.
But sacrifices must be made!

I have a Mark IV so I can't really comment on the cranked mids of your III but I have to agree with the OMG!! on the master on 4. haha It wust be peeling the paint from the walls! haha I don't think i've ever needed my IV past 2. 4 would kill me. haha

GIG4FUN said:
hehehe! oh yes I am all in for cranked mids BUT drive 10! and Master 4! OMG !!! haha... "Burnin' Down the House" haha

JPM90th said:
I have a Mark IV so I can't really comment on the cranked mids of your III but I have to agree with the OMG!! on the master on 4. haha It wust be peeling the paint from the walls! haha I don't think i've ever needed my IV past 2. 4 would kill me. haha

GIG4FUN said:
hehehe! oh yes I am all in for cranked mids BUT drive 10! and Master 4! OMG !!! haha... "Burnin' Down the House" haha

yep! My green stripe is wired 25/85 too, pentode and yep that's what I was talking about. My drummer would stick a stick through my eye if I backlined that loud!

I bet it sounds awesome driving the power tubes like that though. I am going to take mine to "4" tomorrow just to celebrate the 4th! 4 on the 4th it is...

Hell man.. I just got done playing my MKIV at lead channel/master both set at 10, class A, pentode, full power.

**** me sideways, if that isn't the gnarliest **** on the face of the earth, I don't know what is :lol:

My house is still intact, but I think I hear the sounds of tomatoes and eggs hitting the side of my house from my neighbours 8)

GIG4FUN, you gotta try that amp dimed man... at least once... !

mrd said:
Hell man.. I just got done playing my MKIV at lead channel/master both set at 10, class A, pentode, full power.

f%&# me sideways, if that isn't the gnarliest sh!t on the face of the earth, I don't know what is :lol:

My house is still intact, but I think I hear the sounds of tomatoes and eggs hitting the side of my house from my neighbours 8)

YOU my friend have big balls. I commend you.

I will tomorrow then, BUT I am putting it in a 4x12 cab that has four evm 12L's. I fear I'll need the weight to keep it from kicking back and I do not want to wreck the combo ev or Thieles.

I'd write more BUT I know...we are kind of highjacking the thread (my apologies to OP) and I know **** well you are deaf and can't hear a thing I'm typing.

peace

My mark 3 only has 2 6l6s so having it on 4 is loud but not too loud, but then again I am in a basement and my neighbors cant here it.

cisspcism said:
My mark 3 only has 2 6l6s so having it on 4 is loud but not too loud, but then again I am in a basement and my neighbors cant here it.

ok, gotcha now. I bet it sounds sweet then (you may actually let your ears work without trying to shrivel into your head). You have the plan down to really dig. Great post!

I still say though not only boost the mids but roll off the treble to about 2 or 3, makes the lead tone more smooth and not so ear peircingly bright. There will still be tons of highs left.

GIG4FUN said:
mrd said:

f%&# me sideways, if that isn't the gnarliest sh!t on the face of the earth, I don't know what is :lol:

YOU my friend have big balls. I commend you.

I will tomorrow then, BUT I am putting it in a 4x12 cab that has four evm 12L's. I fear I'll need the weight to keep it from kicking back and I do not want to wreck the combo ev or Thieles.

I'd write more BUT I know...we are kind of highjacking the thread (my apologies to OP) and I know **** well you are deaf and can't hear a thing I'm typing.

peace

I was playing it in my Soldano cab: two Eminence Legends 75 watt speakers, sounds great. Playing my MKIV that loud in my Recto 4x12 creates air pressure that is painful if I'm too close. I don't mind the 2x12 that loud cuz I play it on the floor and when I stand up and wear earplugs, it's actually just fine. The volume maxes out at 5/5 anyway, anything beyond that is just the power tubes compressing the **** out of your tone :lol:

If you have a 4x12 with EVMs 12Ls then ****.. I envy you. Try it out!

Hey, it's July 4th. Everybody crank it to 11 and play the "Star Spangled Banner".
Where's my whammy bar?
And my bourbon?

i do... mids around 5 usually, but my graf eq got a W shape... with my rat it sounds awesome...

Hell yeah! I keep my mids between 5 & 7.

I use the GEQ in a ramp shape with the highs slightly lowered but accenting the mids a lot for a solo boost on my DC's. It works better than a Solo button because I can change the tone of the lead boost too!

Back