Which wah??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksime1

Reaction score
I know this is a common question and it has been covered before but I'd like to hear other opinions on wah pedals.

I currently use a Dunlop Crybaby which i purchased back in the mid 90's, it is great for classic rock and some funk, however I very rarely play that type of music. I'm looking for a wah which is perfect for metal, I'm talking screeching solos, think Slayer, Machine Head, Metallica et all !

I am after something that is really expressive and has a wide sweep and range to it, my crybaby just can't do it!

I'm considering a Bad Horsie (original or II) or a Dunlop Crybaby from Hell (Dimebag's model). Has anyone tried these?

Cheers

I have the Bad Horsie and I only use it with my practice amp. It does not have a very wide range and it seems to compress my tone a bit when not in use. The switchless aspect of the pedal is excellent but I prefer the Teese Wizard Wah on my pedalboard. It has a boost when engaged which is awesome as it cuts through really nice. It is true bypass so it will not color your tone. Furthermore, you can adhere the pedal to your pedalboard via an insert sold by Stompin ground. The Bad Horsie wah is not mountable like this. It is also rather large and takes up a lot of room even if you did find a way to mount it on a board.

That's my 2 cents. Happy searching!

I have an early 90s Cry Baby that I was thinking about replacing. Instead I sent it off to Keeley and had a bunch of mods done. It screams now. I do not play metal, so YMMV, but whatever those guys did opened this thing up big time. He's got a whole menu of things he can do to your wah, and will respond to any questions you have. Very pleasant operation to deal with and fast turn-around.

i love my crybaby from hell with my triaxis/2:90 rig. but i too are on teh hunt for a new pedal, but i'm keeping teh cbfh, i just want a pedal with a different sound completely to use on my peavey combo rig.

just a word of advice, i bought my crybaby from hell from guitar center at cost, which was only $75 new, so you may be able to haglle pretty good on this item if the salesguy is any good.

You will hear tons of opinions about which wah to get: The ones i can tell you not to get are:
Ibanez wheeping demon - Its too digitally
Orginial Crybaby - It just doesnt have enough sweep.

I really dig the zak wylde wah, its real thick.

Personally i would stick with a vox, dunlop, or even fulltone.
Im a huge wah nut and just got done ordering the dunlop 2sr rack wah to replace my zakk wylde.

You can mod your Crybaby yourself, if you have any sort of soldering skills. I can't remember the website, but there's a place online that shows you how to do it.

I have mine modded for true-bypass, increased the sweep, and made it more toward the lower bassier frequencies, and I love it now.

Wah's are like guitars, just depends what feel and sound you like out of your wah. Test as many as you can on YOUR setup or a setup similar to yours- talk to a manager at GC and see if you can plug as many wah's as you can into an amp similar to yours. I love my Bad Horsie II and it does what I want when I want, and I love the switchless on/off.

The Zakk Wylde wah is awesome for metal.

I myself have the Hendrix wah (The one with chrome), and I play metal.. sounds fine to me, though I've never compared it to anything in a band situation.

I'm thinking of getting an LED mod so I know when it's on though...sometimes I can't tell!

Just try as many as you can, I’m a bit of a wah nut and really find they are different to a degree but all yield their own certain magic. Factors like amps, guitars and your style will bring out the best or worse in them.

My personal favorites: DCR-1SR (rack mount wah) as you can see above me Nathan28 has ordered a 2SR, the real difference between the two is the 2SR has a “Q” control. So I’m a bit jealous :D
Next favorites would be (in no particular order) Dunlop 535Q, Morley Bad Horsie II and Budda. My picks from what you described would be the 535Q but you might also want to check out a Morley Mark Tremonti model.

i use a vox wah-wah pedal, i like the tone very much, though i havent really played around with any other wah's, so im not sure how it compares with others

Ibanez Demon Wah WD7. Not enough sweep but makes up for it for being highly configurable.

I want to try a FullTone & VOX though.

Latest posts

Back