Which volume pedal to get for a Mark IV.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enc3f4L0

Reaction score
I'm ordering an Ernie Ball volume pedal along with my Musicman guitar and I don't know which to get.

They have a few, depending on passive/active signals you'll use them with...

The thing is... the guitar has passive pickups... But from what I heard, if you plug the VP in the loop you have to get the active one.

Here's where I need your expertise... I'll be playing with a Mark IV. Later on I plan on getting a Road King, but for now just a Mk IV...

Is it advisable to use the VP in the FX Loop? How will that work/sound?

Thanks.

...Just a Mark IV?

C'mon man, this is a killer amp. That is like saying, "Oh yeah, and I got this Mark IIC+ thingy laying around..."

The Mark IV has got to be Mesa's best amp for tight low end and most versatile tone-wise. Not to mention that it just sounds better than any Recto. Don't get me wrong the RK is a nice amp but I am not selling my Mark IV to get one. I wouldn't even sell my 800 or JMP to get one. I might sell my Ampeg though.

As far as volume pedals go, try them out with your guitar and see what you like. Be sure to take your amp to try it in. You can use it in front or in the loop. It all depends on what you are looking for.

LOL... that came out wrong...

I didn't mean it that way... What I meant was... I'll be playing thru the Mark IV ONLY...

So then you guys know what are the amp specs and what VP will fit best with it.

The MK IV is IMO the best amp in the world.

I won't be able to test pedals. I won't be buying it in my country, otherwise I'd surely test everything out. That's why I need some experienced opinions from this forum.

BTW, when I meant I'll be getting a Roadking I didn't mean I would sell the MkIV in the process... I'll have both.

That was just mentioned so the choice of VP was focused on the Mark as my main amp.

Ok, it's cool....

I thought perhaps you were snubbing your nose at the Mark IV is all. I can't get enough of it. I am a relatively new convert from the old gold and black.

Get the pedal from Musician's Friend.
They have a 45 day return policy!
No Hassle!

I actually have someone I'm ordering it from...

I'm only in doubt which specific MODEL to get. Thanks.

I used to use an Ernie Ball 6166 VP in my set-up but my FCB 1010 doesn't have an external expression pedal output, so I'm using the two Behringer provides. However, I know EB makes a VP for active instruments (6167 I believe). Check it out on the EB site (www.ernieball.com) and if you're interested, go for it. Personally I love the grip on it and it's durability (the thing is built like a tank), however, it's a bit heavy for an expression pedal, but that's no big deal.

So go check out/read about the 6167 if you want, I highly recommend the EBVPs.

Back