Which Tubes Should I buy for Triple Recto??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R_ADKINS80 said:
To me, now matter how small someone might say the difference is, tubes turn a good sounding amp into a phenominal sounding amp. Stock tubes sound good in my Triple. My current tube set-up sounds phenominal.

Im glad you have a good combination in your Triple. A great sounding amp has always inspired me to play to the best of my abilities as Im sure it does for you also!

R_ADKINS80 said:
To me, now matter how small someone might say the difference is, tubes turn a good sounding amp into a phenominal sounding amp. Stock tubes sound good in my Triple. My current tube set-up sounds phenominal.

Im glad you have a good combination in your Triple. A great sounding amp has always inspired me to play to the best of my abilities as Im sure it does for you also!

I dunno man. I A/B different tubes and I certainly can hear a difference. The other way to look at is if I buy 10 tubes and they all sound great, then I've got 10 great tubes. If I buy 10 tubes and 5 sound good, now I'm stuck with the rest that I won't use - point being, I don't think money or justification has anything to do with it.

That's not to say tubes are going to make a crap amp sound great, but they can certainly add that extra something to make your amp sound the best it can. I think if you don't hear a difference between most tubes, you're not listening hard enough or you've lost too much hearing!

As for 6L6s, which you definitely want for a heavy high gain metal tone IMO, Mesa sounds alright. I've heard of people getting better results with SED or TAD brands, but if you want to stick with Mesa out of safety, I believe they're the same as Ruby, which sound pretty good.

Heres a picture of my Triple with a new toy.

A mid 80s Les Paul Studio, my singer had it and wants me to play it some. Sounds awesome on the Triple, Notice the Weber Mass on top of amp. I think a good attenuation device is essential if you own a hi-wattage amp like a triple.

IMG_7356.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the stock tubes are for the Triple Rec and how many of each you need..?

Preamp tubes are just plain Mesa 12AX7s - 5 of 'em. Not sure which ones they are. The stock TR tubes are 6 matched Mesa 6L6s; they're the same as Ruby 6L6GCMSTR.

I'm confused. Appologies again for being a retard when it comes to this subject, but there are 9 tubes on the back of the amp. You've said that I would need 5 pre-amps and 6 matched 6L6s... There are three rectifier tubes too if I'm not mistaken (5U4GBs)... There are only 9 tubes in the pic below. Could you just point out (left-right maybe) which tubes are what because I'm getting really confused here, lol.

http://mysite.verizon.net/omacdonald1/images_2/rectoback.jpg

Acesulfame said:
I'm confused. Appologies again for being a retard when it comes to this subject, but there are 9 tubes on the back of the amp. You've said that I would need 5 pre-amps and 6 matched 6L6s... There are three rectifier tubes too if I'm not mistaken (5U4GBs)... There are only 9 tubes in the pic below. Could you just point out (left-right maybe) which tubes are what because I'm getting really confused here, lol.

http://mysite.verizon.net/omacdonald1/images_2/rectoback.jpg
No problem. Sorry, forgot the recto tubes - imagine that - cause I usually don't use them. The left 6 tubes are your 6L6s. The right 3 are the 5U4GBs. Behind those are your preamp tubes, which are much smaller in size. The only ones that need to be replaced every 6 months to a year depending on use are your 6L6s.

Ah, see that clears everything up. So I'll replace my 6l6s then. I wasn't sure whether one of my recto tubes has blown or not as one of the three was very dim and only had a small glow to it and the other two had the sort of blue flame... When you say you don't even use them what do you mean by that?

Also how easy is it to fit 6l6s...

Oh sorry, just noticed someone has already responded to my recto tubes not glowing up properly question..

God.....Now I'm reading up on all the different colour 6l6s and different placements and ****...It just never ends does it? I just want to order 6 6L6s...It's a bloody nightmare.

Don't worry about any of that. Just order 6 6L6s from Mesa. Call them and tell them you want a matched sextet, and you can pop 'em right in. That's it!

TheMagicEight said:
Don't worry about any of that. Just order 6 6L6s from Mesa. Call them and tell them you want a matched sextet, and you can pop 'em right in. That's it!

+1. Don't worry about the color, as TME said, just get a matchet sextet and you're good.

For support, you said the UK...hit up these guys:

Westside Distribution
Tel +44 (0) 141 248 4812
Fax +44 (0) 141 248 4813
Email: [email protected]

http://mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/exp_select_2.php

I got a response but that is a hell of a lot of money! £160! That's a lot of my British pounds...Does that seem like a fair deal?

"Hi Andy,

I can supply you new tubes. The Tubes are £50 per pair. Delivery is £9.78.

If you would like them please email me your delivery address and call me Thursday on 0141 248 4812 for payment.

Thanks
Oreste"

You could try contacting these guys: http://thetubestore.com/

I bought tubes for my Ecstasy there. Just tell them the tubes are for a TR. If I'm correct, they'll ship overseas.

Back