Which Tubes Do You Use In Your Dual Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JCDenton6 said:
@ YellowJacket, I'd say this preamp tube combo is very aggressive:

V1 - Tung Sol gold pin
V2 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V3 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V4 - Shuguang 12AX7B
V5 - JJ gold pin ECC83

I played around with non NOS tubes for a while and nothing sounded more aggressive then this combo :twisted:

Power tube choices are up in the air, as I'm using Svetlana EL34's in my 2 ch Triple.

Interesting. Tung Sol RI, I'm assuming?

The Cocktail at Dougs Tubes is almost identical to what you've specified except that the JJ ECC83 is in V2 instead of the Shugang 12AX7B and there is a Sovtek12ax7LPS for the phase inverter.

I'm definitely thinking of trying a Tung Sol RI in v1 to start and I may swap the PI with something as well. Of course, the Shugangs aren't terribly expensive either. All 5 preamp tubes could probably be had for under $70 including shipping.

Is the lifespan of the Shugang 12AX7B somewhat short as I have heard? I also hear they are rather loud.

Do you notice a difference between standard and gold pin tubes? It smells like a marketing gimmick to me!

For Power Tubes, I think I'll have to swap out my 5881s with something as they are pretty old. I'm inclined to hold onto my STR 454s as long as possible ^__^

I currently have:

V1 = Tung Sol 12AX7
V2 = JJ ECC83S
V3 = Stock Mesa
V4 = Stock Mesa
V5 = Stock Mesa

I'm looking forward to try a Brimar NOS CV4004 and a Telefunken ECC83 in the first two positions in the near future.

@ YellowJacket

Tung Sol in V1 seems to be pretty standard upgrade for metal more oriented people.

In my experience Sovtek 12AX7LPS becomes microphonic rather quickly if you run your head on top of the speaker cab as it doesn't take speaker vibration too well. I've tried them now twice in two different amps and within few months I've started getting rather unpleasant high pitch clangy noises.

According to my local tube shop Mesa 12ax7 Chinese tubes are relabeled Shuguangs so I don't believe they're that much worse.

Is any Tung-sol 12ax7 ok for V1? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for, or are all Tung-sols 12ax7s I see out there the same? :?

V1 - Tung-Sol 12AX7
V2 - Mullard Reissue 12AX7
V3 - Mullard Reissue 12AX7
V4 - Penta 12AX7
V5 - JAN Phillips 12AT7

Tung-Sol 6l6GC STR Power Tubes <--- LOVE THESE, such creamy breakup!!!

guitarslayer said:
Is any Tung-sol 12ax7 ok for V1? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for, or are all Tung-sols 12ax7s I see out there the same? :?
I'd say just get the regular Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7. That's practically what most people are using.

If you wanna try NOS Tung-Sol, by all means go ahead. They seem to receive pretty good comments overall, but I haven't bothered to try them yet.

I don't find any difference with gold pins and would call it a marketing gimmick.

YellowJacket said:
If I repurpose my 2 CH Dual Rectifier Rev F entirely for metal (Electra Dyne covers all other styles with ease) I'm wondering what would be suitable tubes to use for this? Basically, I'd want more aggression and high end definition overall. I currently have all stock mesa 12ax7s as well as 2 6L6 STR454s paired with the Mesa 5881s.

Right now, I'm thinking of trying a Tung Sol in v1 and seeing how that works out.

I've posted and lurked on this forum for about four years at this point, and finally got around to trying a Tung-Sol in V1. It was whatever standard 12ax7 they sell on MusiciansFriend. It definitely gives more aggression and high end definition. I actually find that the sound is more defined and clear even with a lower presence setting than I was getting out of the stock Mesa 12ax7.

Interesting.

Does anyone have experience with Dougs Tubes? I'm wondering if there is an appreciable difference between his standard 12ax7s and his 'high gain' 12ax7s?

Ive have no experience with Dougs tubes but technically a high gain tube should provide your preamp section with more gain. You shouldnt need more than a couple for V1 or V1+V2. Only get High gain if you find you have your preamp gain maxed out and you would still like more.

YellowJacket said:
Interesting.

Does anyone have experience with Dougs Tubes? I'm wondering if there is an appreciable difference between his standard 12ax7s and his 'high gain' 12ax7s?

I'm no expert, but I agree with the poster below you. Besides, aren't JJ 12ax7s (and thus Mesas) considered to be rather high gain in the 12ax7 world? Either way I think for more gain your money would be better spent on a boost. IMO anyway.

Yes, this is a funny thing. I am the guy who really loves the dynamic Vintage Lo channel on the Electra Dyne and I really like being able to control the amount of gain saturation as I play. However, I started playing in a Metal band and I'm finding that **GASP** the Recto isn't so high gain when playing metal. This is probably because the guitars I have don't have massively hot pickups. They're pretty hot, great for a phat chunky rock tone. But, the phat chunky rock tone just doesn't cut it for crazy single note riffing. I am thinking this is partially the guitars and I will have to try some different settings on my amp to see how things work out. I mean I COULD play really heavy on my right hand but that is just a recipe for tendonitis and this is not something I want to deal with again.

I'll have to get a Tung Sol in V1 and see how it works out for me. If anything, I'd change the phase inverter as well and call it a day.

I get all of my tubes from Doug's Tubes. His shipping is fast, and his RMA process is quick and easy. Very easy to deal with.

Tubes are packed well and shipped via USPS priority 2-3 day in very sturdy boxes. I wish the shipping options were better, but it's not like UPS has any better reputation for package handling.

Thought I'd bump this one up.

I just finished rolling some preamp tubes in my Multi-Watt Dual Rec.
I have a Tung-Sol in v1, Gold Lion in v2(awesome tube), an older Mullard in v3 (gives channels 2 n 3 raunch!), mesa JJs in v4-5.

I want to try a reissue Mullard in v3, but am afraid of frying it. I know that a Tung-sol would probably die there. Can anyone confirm if a Mullard reissue will last in v3, and how does it sound? Anything has to be better than the JJs. ugh.

LPMojoGL said:
Thought I'd bump this one up.

I just finished rolling some preamp tubes in my Multi-Watt Dual Rec.
I have a Tung-Sol in v1, Gold Lion in v2(awesome tube), an older Mullard in v3 (gives channels 2 n 3 raunch!), mesa JJs in v4-5.

I want to try a reissue Mullard in v3, but am afraid of frying it. I know that a Tung-sol would probably die there. Can anyone confirm if a Mullard reissue will last in v3, and how does it sound? Anything has to be better than the JJs. ugh.

I've been using the Mullard Re-Issues all over the place. Any position they sound good. I've even used them as P/I tubes to success. They are a great sounding smooth and full tube. They are made by NewSensor who makes the TungSol re-issues also.

I have a TungSol in V3 in my DC3 (preamp is based on a recto preamp). Oddly enough I have a JJ in V4 (Clean channel last 2 stages) and it sounds fantastic.

Cool thanks for responding. I'll try the Mullard ri in v3 tonight.
Any time I've tried tungsol in any other position than v1, it's fried. Sounds good, but doesn't hold up well.
Ever try the gold lion, also a new sensor tube?

Nah, more money than I am willing to spend on a tube. I don't need black magic for what I play.

bendo said:
Nah, more money than I am willing to spend on a tube. I don't need black magic for what I play.

I got one at a discount. I'd now pay full price. It's full, poeerfull, balanced and clear across all frequencies.

is there somewhere I can order matched tubes?

I went to my local place and they're all unmatched and the guy said that I would need a tech to install them even though it's fixed bias boogie, so I had to buy the mesa tubes. I really wanted to try something new :(

ChrisRocksUSA said:
is there somewhere I can order matched tubes?

I went to my local place and they're all unmatched and the guy said that I would need a tech to install them even though it's fixed bias boogie, so I had to buy the mesa tubes. I really wanted to try something new :(

dougstubes.com

tubedepot.com

thetubestore.com

The Tung-Sol 6l6GCs kick ***.

Back