Which speakers for a 4X12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dual rec

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get an avatar cab. I read on their website that a lot of people are putting the G12H's on the bottom and Vintage 30's on the top. I was wondering what type of sound that would be for. I know vintage 30's are good for the metal/rock sound but what about the others. What would be the advantage of 2 different pairs of speakers.

I got my avatar with 4 V30's and the tone is amazing. From what Baba says, the G12's add a high end that really isn't necessary....IMO, the V30's alone are great speakers.

I run V30's and Greenbacks in my cabinets. I play anything from Modern to Punk. I get a very modern sound (from the V30's) along with the extra bit of nasty vintagy grunt from the Greenbacks.

You really do get the best of both worlds when you combine.

dual rec said:
Thanx Ibanez, anyone else have an opinion on these things.
Rather than two on top, and two on bottom, you may want an X pattern! :idea: :wink:

my all time favorite is an X pattern of Vintage30s and G12t75s
this is the same set up that is stock on the matching 4x12 for the almighty Bogner Uberschall

Definitely best suited for classic rock and everything or anything more agressive
If was playing traditional blues, jazz, or country, Id look elsewhere.

Otherwise its an amazing well ballanced set up, which works great with many many different high gain amps.

vintage 30s are famous for their midrange push, which for modern guitar stylings is important because this is what you need to get your guitar through the mix (though using the midrange knob well works wonders too)
however, vintage 30s are known for flubbing out a bit on the lows, and not having the greatest defined highs.
This is where the g12t75 comes in. By comparison its low end is very tight, focused and the highs are much more defined and shimmering.
The result is a very very balanced yet dynamic sound regardless of where you are playing on the fretboard, or playing crunchy rhythms or singing leads.

Whats funny for me, is I actually discovered this combination before ever hearing about it being done. I was once just messing arround in my studio a few years ago and ran both my 1960 (g12t75s) and Trad Recto (v30s) at the same time with my single rec. I was amazed at howmuch more ballanced and defined the sound seemed than using either caby by itself. I started having my suspiciouns that maybe I just liked it more because of all the extra being pumped arround by the fullstack, but I started doing some homework and found that many people were using this combination.

I really cant speak enough good things about this combo!

Thanks a lot guys. That helped quite a bit. I still am not sure, because this will be a hard desicion so any one else with anything would be greatly appreciated.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I got my avatar with 4 V30's and the tone is amazing. From what Baba says, the G12's add a high end that really isn't necessary....IMO, the V30's alone are great speakers.

I have a Legacy cab with V30's and it sounds great. I agree that the v30's alone are great speakers. I just ordered a Avatar G112 with a Hellatone 30. I just wanted antoher speaker to hook to my LSS 1x12 that was small and light weight. I'm sure it will sound fine. Let's just face it, like Dave from Avatar says on his website, no two speakers even of the same make and model are gonna sound exactly alike. I probably wouldn't notice or care unless they just sounded really bad with my setup. IMHO V30's are good, safe purchase for just about any style of music. :)

I had an Avatar with the V30 and G12 H30 (Heritage) combo. I actually liked dual V30s better. Yes, the combo had a bit more clarity, but there was something rich about the V30s that I liked. Since then I've become adicted to Weber Silver Bells, which are similar to V30s, but I think sound better when driven hard.

Latest posts

Back