which sound better simul or 100/60 for Mark IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what you want to hear. I prefer the Simul, because I like using EL34's in it, or at least having the ability to do so. I think it's also a little warmer and smoother which suits me better, but if you're after aggression the 100/60 might be better?

Ah lionel69, that is like asking if green is better than blue! :)

Ok, a non-cryptic response:

I own both and I like them both very much but they're quite different. It's actually shocking how much of a difference there is despite them being almost the same amplifier. Here are some of my observations.. these are personal opinions and are quite subjective as such.

1) The 60/100 has more shred, no question. It has a sharper attack and an amazing chunk to the tone in the 100W setting. It's very brutal when dialed in and turned up. As a result I believe the clean suffers slightly when compared to the Simul. The cleans are amazing, don't get me wrong, but they lose a bit of 'life' if that makes sense.

2) The Simul is much smoother yet still crushing. It's a very very hard thing to capture in words but it's got a smoothness to the notes that is just unlike anything I've ever heard/played. The cleans are almost better than the gain in this guy. It's got that awesome dumble-esque feeling to the notes that I've heard reproduced in stuff like fuchs or two-rock yet never duplicated. The gain channel is a madman but not really as gainy as the 60/100.

So here's how I think about usage... if I want to get into some Metallica or very rhythm centric guitar work I will unquestionably go with the 60/100 (shocking I know).. if I am into a more classic rock or lead state of mind I will go for the Simul. I choose the Simul for clean tones hands down as well.

Each one of these C+ 's is very different despite being nearly the same amp. Furthermore, two 'identical' C+'s one serial number apart on the line with the same features will sound different. I am sure someone will have an opposite reaction to mine depending on the amps themselves but these are my findings with my two pieces of the grail.

Hope this helps you.. I would say if you've been bitten by the C+ bug, any of them will floor you. I would get ahold of one at all costs if possible. I know some will also disagree with me on this statement but I would definitely get a model with EQ and Reverb. I've found that while great without these, it's just not the same. I have heard good things using an EQ in the loop but I have not done so myself so I cannot comment.

Platypus said:
So here's I would say if you've been bitten by the C+ bug, any of them will floor you. I would get ahold of one at all costs if possible.

I agree completely with that statement. And will also say that the 60/100 compared to the simul is more about "feel" than tone. You can use the 100 watt mode with the combo speaker plugged into the 4 ohm jack to "soften" the 60/100's attack somewhat. 8) All this talk has made me plug into "Old Smokey" for an afternoon hearing check. :lol: .

... although in direct comparison of a KRG, DRGX, HRGX and SRGX I still think the SRGX has the most "in your face" tone. these seem to be brutally underrated in my opinion.

bigmouth said:
... although in direct comparison of a KRG, DRGX, HRGX and SRGX I still think the SRGX has the most "in your face" tone. these seem to be brutally underrated in my opinion.

Definately nothing wrong with a 60 watt C+, for sure. It's not as if they lack volume. :shock:

Platypus said:
Ah lionel69, that is like asking if green is better than blue! :)

Ok, a non-cryptic response:

I own both and I like them both very much but they're quite different. It's actually shocking how much of a difference there is despite them being almost the same amplifier. Here are some of my observations.. these are personal opinions and are quite subjective as such.

1) The 60/100 has more shred, no question. It has a sharper attack and an amazing chunk to the tone in the 100W setting. It's very brutal when dialed in and turned up. As a result I believe the clean suffers slightly when compared to the Simul. The cleans are amazing, don't get me wrong, but they lose a bit of 'life' if that makes sense.

2) The Simul is much smoother yet still crushing. It's a very very hard thing to capture in words but it's got a smoothness to the notes that is just unlike anything I've ever heard/played. The cleans are almost better than the gain in this guy. It's got that awesome dumble-esque feeling to the notes that I've heard reproduced in stuff like fuchs or two-rock yet never duplicated. The gain channel is a madman but not really as gainy as the 60/100.

So here's how I think about usage... if I want to get into some Metallica or very rhythm centric guitar work I will unquestionably go with the 60/100 (shocking I know).. if I am into a more classic rock or lead state of mind I will go for the Simul. I choose the Simul for clean tones hands down as well.

Each one of these C+ 's is very different despite being nearly the same amp. Furthermore, two 'identical' C+'s one serial number apart on the line with the same features will sound different. I am sure someone will have an opposite reaction to mine depending on the amps themselves but these are my findings with my two pieces of the grail.

Hope this helps you.. I would say if you've been bitten by the C+ bug, any of them will floor you. I would get ahold of one at all costs if possible. I know some will also disagree with me on this statement but I would definitely get a model with EQ and Reverb. I've found that while great without these, it's just not the same. I have heard good things using an EQ in the loop but I have not done so myself so I cannot comment.

I have to say that Platypus' explanation of the 60/100 vs. Simul differences is, in my opinion, is dead on accurate. I couldn't have said it better. A 60/100 feels harder edged while the Simul is smoother but still very much aggressive. This holds true for Mark II's and III's. When comparing my blue stripe Mark III 60/100 to my IIC+ that's how they sound A/B'd against each other.

They're making them out of bear bones now!!??!! What does the animal protection lobby say? I know there's an illegal trade in tiger bones but bear bones!? -

I know this is about IIC+'s, but my Mark III is simul and has a 1/2 power switch which, as far as I know, is the 60/100 switch...which shuts off the inner pair of tubes. I dont have a class A switch either.

Back