Which pickup for Mark IV poll!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which pickup for a Mark IV?

• DiMarzio EVH Custom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seymour Duncan, Invader

• Seymour Duncan, Geaorge Lynch

• DiMarzio Tone Zone

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chris_EIT

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to get an idea of your thoughts on this subject thanks :)

chris_EIT said:
I don't understand the purpose of this question at all.
Do you somehow think that a Mark 4 will sound better with one pickup compared to another?
And what sound are we talking about? Clean? Dirty? Lead?

Learn to dial in the amp and it will sound great with every kind of pickup.
I have 5 electric guitars and no two have the same type or brand of pickup (no actives though, yuk), yet apart from when I use my Jazzmaster I don't need to adjust anything on the amp for it to sound great.

Well how bout just, which is your favorite pick up for your style of music in the Mark IV... better?

Pinweaver said:
chris_EIT said:
I don't understand the purpose of this question at all.
Do you somehow think that a Mark 4 will sound better with one pickup compared to another?
And what sound are we talking about? Clean? Dirty? Lead?

Learn to dial in the amp and it will sound great with every kind of pickup.
I have 5 electric guitars and no two have the same type or brand of pickup (no actives though, yuk), yet apart from when I use my Jazzmaster I don't need to adjust anything on the amp for it to sound great.

blech. I have NOT gotten a good tone w/ the duncan designed pickups that came in my schecter. Sounds SO unsmooooooooth. dfkjsdkj icky

theaero said:
blech. I have NOT gotten a good tone w/ the duncan designed pickups that came in my schecter. Sounds SO unsmooooooooth. dfkjsdkj icky
I only play high-end guitars so I can't really judge your duncan designed pickups.

I like Duncan Distortion/JB in my R8 Les Paul, but both are from the mid 80's and sound a lot different than ones made today. I have a Strat loaded with a Voodoo 59 PAF and it rips!!!

I really like this Seymour Duncan Combo:

Alinico II Neck
Custom 5 Bridge

But, My favs are from Suhr:

HSS combo: V60's (not the LP's) in Neck and Middle
SSH in Bridge

HSH combo: DSV in Neck, V60LP in Middle, and DSH+ in Bridge

HH combo: DSV in Neck, DSV+ in Bridge

Give em a try....

The MkIV (and all the Marks for that matter) makes any quality guitar and pickup sound it's best and is also unbeatable for any style of playing and music. I play in a very diverse cover band and switch from an Ibanez with Duncan HB's to a strat with emg's and never have time to fiddle with the amp settings which stay the same. Your question is a bit open ended: this could end up with the same "ask three guys and get ten answers" as the "great tube debate". Perhaps asking about getting a very particular sound with an example would get responses more to your liking.

EMG 81. I find it just right for the style of music I play and how I pick against the strings.

Pinweaver said:
theaero said:
I only play high-end guitars so I can't really judge your duncan designed pickups.

As do I. Current guitars = LP Standard w/ burstbucker pros (my gigging guitar), and PRS hollowbody II, w/ the piezo. (which I am scared to play and accidently scratch.. lol.. its my pride and joy, usually the guitar I take to the studio), then I got a schecter s-1 elite w/ upgraded pups, and a schecter omen-6, w/ crappy pickups.

I play shitty guitars when I'm trying to fun things, like guitar spinning and what not, or if I just feel like having a crazy drunken jam session which is obviously going to end in some chipped paint, dents, and hangovers.

You know how it is

My Mark IV has sounded fantastic with any pickup I've thrown at it. My favorite being PAF style pups in my Les Paul. R2 sounds fantastic with tele pickups. Lead is a madman with EMG actives.. I prefer the 85 or 707 because I run my Mark IV super bright (so I'm told) as it is and the 81 is too ice picky for the way I dial mine.

Latest posts

Back