Which Mesa tubes for Mark IIB?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMcNibbnles

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has tried Mesa 6L6 STR-440, 5881 STR-425 or 6V6 STR-417 tubes. I'm going to be replacing the Groove Tubes that came in my Mark IIB and I was hoping someone could give some insight into how these three models of tubes will affect the tone.

Basically, I LOVE the smooth, round tone of the IIB, so I don't want to turn it into a Rectifier and get a grainy, crappy distortion with no smoothness. Problem is, I'm not sure how much different tubes will affect the tone of the amp. I was considering the 6L6 STR-440, but any suggestions (even other models or brands) are completely welcome!

good question, i'd like to know this as well.

i've got my original tubes, that i only put in on during tracking of certain songs while recording...

and i've got some late model boogie branded tubes in it now..

what's the general concensus for current brands that aren't NOS?

Hello, IMHO, if you need 4x6L6 - the best is a matched quad of Russian Svetlana Winged "SED" - these valves are verrrry similar to Sylvania, "MB company" valves of early Marks years.
You'll get full sound with a lot of harmonics, great dynamics and natural colour.

Preamp valves are important as well - try Tung Sol 12AX7 as V1, V3

(e.g. from www.tubestore.com)

Dalibor

Congratulations on your llB.
The sound of those amps were built around the original Sylvania 6L6 tubes,according to Doug West, I'd recommend those.
You can buy the original tubes from a good place who has first grade old ones. They were real durable tubes I understand.

Back