Which Mesa is good for me? Please Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoshiii

Reaction score
Hello

I want to buy a Mesa but not sure which one would be good for me. I love all kinds of music, rock, jazz, r&b, metal, Alt, indie, blues, etc.

Some of the groups that I like are The Cure, New Order, Soundgarden, Metallica, Led Zepplin, U2, Lush, Dinosaur Jr., Tool, Van Halen, AC/DC, The Police, BB King, Foo Fighters, etc.

I am looking for a amp with good sound, doesnt have to be super clean, but I want to be able to get good rock and distortion tones. Nothing buzzy or thin sounding. I use pedals such as Big Muff, different overdrives, choruses , delays, etc.
I have a Vox Ac15cc now. I have a Gibson 335, Jazzmaster, and soon to buy a tele or strat or paul.

Please help me find a amp that would be good for me. The groups that sound who I really like now and use as blue prints are, The Cure(Wish album sounds), The Police, Led Zepplin, and Rage Against the Machine

Please help me learn more about Mesa

:roll:

Roadster or MarkIV, or if you don't have a lot of cash look for a F50. Great first Mesa, good gain and clean channels, and takes pedals very well and of course, built like a tank.

fishyfishfish said:
Roadster or MarkIV, or if you don't have a lot of cash look for a F50. Great first Mesa, good gain and clean channels, and takes pedals very well and of course, built like a tank.

Will check. What about the Stiletto series or Dual Rec series?

yoshiii said:
fishyfishfish said:

Will check. What about the Stiletto series or Dual Rec series?

agreed, even though i would never buy a stilleto, they're still pretty decent amps. I like you cuz you have a diverse music taste :D

well mesa amps in my opinion were made for generally diverse players. One way you can think of the stilleto is a beefed up marshall with much better tone. For extreme crazy versatility, check out the triaxis. You pretty much get all the Mark Tones (I, II B and C+,IV, etc) in one rack piece

I would however prefer the road king or roadster for versatility. The roadster is a beefed up dual rectifier and the road king is a beefed up Roadster (beefed up is my phrase of the day). If you have about 3000 bucks to spend, GET THE ROAD KING. The Road King's progressive linkage is an awesome thing allowing you to switch up your power tube configuration to get a plethora of sounds. Theres so many other features in the Road king that you can read about in other places like the official mesa boogie website. You should check it out. I'm thinking of getting the roadster myself and i play almost all the styles you play.

good luck man!

stiletto would be a good choice. I just traded my recto for a stiletto and tho they are both great amps the stiletto suits my style better.

yoshiii said:
Hello

I want to buy a Mesa but not sure which one would be good for me. I love all kinds of music, rock, jazz, r&b, metal, Alt, indie, blues, etc.

Some of the groups that I like are The Cure, New Order, Soundgarden, Metallica, Led Zepplin, U2, Lush, Dinosaur Jr., Tool, Van Halen, AC/DC, The Police, BB King, Foo Fighters, etc.

I am looking for a amp with good sound, doesnt have to be super clean, but I want to be able to get good rock and distortion tones. Nothing buzzy or thin sounding. I use pedals such as Big Muff, different overdrives, choruses , delays, etc.
I have a Vox Ac15cc now. I have a Gibson 335, Jazzmaster, and soon to buy a tele or strat or paul.

Please help me find a amp that would be good for me. The groups that sound who I really like now and use as blue prints are, The Cure(Wish album sounds), The Police, Led Zepplin, and Rage Against the Machine

Please help me learn more about Mesa

:roll:

you can nail most of those tones with a RK II or a Mark IV

For ACDC, Zepplin, Van Halen, U2, The Police the MKIV or the Rectifiers cannot touch the Stiletto. The Stiletto is designed for these sounds and they rag doll the other Mesas all over the stage in this genre. I mean it's like a pit bull against a kitten for classic rock. However, for Jazz, R&B, and Blues I'd go with a MKIV, Roadster, or a Road King. The MKIV especially cannot do the nice dangly EL34 smooth grind yet articulate sound required for Van Halen or U2. It's a very dry sounding amp. It is way too tight and clunky. For the metalica stuff & jazz, it'll kill the Stiletto though. The Stiletto's can also get a very nice Voxish clean sound in Tite Clean. The Roadster and the Road King will do nu metal better. The Stilettos need a 4x12 to get enough bottom end to chug.... the 2x12 aren't enough IMO. If you get a Stiletto get a Graphic EQ for the loop and that will enable you to do a better jazz/blues rendition. Most of the groups above are what Mesa designed the Stilettos for.... It is THE MESA to use for these sounds.

Latest posts

Back