Which Mark llC+ would you buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you buy? C+ question

• Mark llB hardwood DRG converted to C+

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Mark llC+ HR black tolex with thiele ext. cab

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Markedman

Reaction score
There are two amps I'm looking at locally, one is a hardwood simul-class, reverb, graphic eq Mark llB converted to C+ combo and the other is a hundred watt no GEQ combo with a thiele extension cabinet that is a factory Mark llC+ in black tolex. Both are sub $2000. Which would you buy and why?

I've asked for photos and haven't received any, I'm not sure he's knows I'm cashed up and serious. No wiggle room in his price of $2000.00, so I may pass as I've seen a few C+'s this year not sell for $1500.00 around here and this is a llB, they do not command the same resale value, although I imagine sound as good as a C conversion or C+. Here's the ad and no, he won't ship. http://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/4855620528.html

Markedman said:
No wiggle room in his price of $2000.00, so I may pass as I've seen a few C+'s this year not sell for $1500.00 around here and this is a llB, they do not command the same resale value, although I imagine sound as good as a C conversion or C+.

If the amp has the correct preamp board, then it would be a better choice, based on the number of options that it has. The sale price of fully loaded models is way different than some of the stripped down versions. Do you mean to say that you have seen fully loaded models not sell for $1500?

This is tax refund season, someone will buy it, for sure.

Being that they are local and (I assume) can be demo'd, I'd buy the one that sounds and feels better. All things equal, I like having the on-board GEQ. Hardwood cabinet is also a plus. Get the serial numbers and call Mesa to see if they have any records. An amp upgraded by Mike Bendinelli is a positive. For under $2k, it's hard to go wrong with either one.

BTW, my C+ is a IIA upgrade that Boogiebabies said is among the best he's played.

Play both if you can...It's a tough call either way, and if it were me, I'd be very indecisive and have buyer's remorse unless I got my hands on both. On-board EQ is nice, and in my opinion, what gives the Mark series it's unique sound. However, Mesa now sells the EQ pedal...So, I would say, it comes down to resale value (if you anticipate selling) and deciding between Simul and 100/60 tones.

I agree with dodger916 on each and every points. :D

I highly prefer the built in EQ rather than the use of an EQ pedal.
I feel that the use of an EQ pedal may deviate from the classic IIC+ tone with built in GEQ.
The loop, where the EQ pedal would stand, is before the last preamp gain stage, whereas the built EQ is after, just at the poweramp input. So it may differ from the typical IIC+ sound. I emphasis the term "differ", I don't pretend it may be worse.
And the EQ pedal may not have the headroom of the built in EQ, as it is supplied by 9v instead of approx. 50V for the built in EQ. Here again, it may still be OK as the effect loop, where the EQ pedal would stand, take care of adapting the signal to effect pedal level.
But still...

I am buying the llB. I called Mesa and at first Chris said they never converted any llB's but then I told him the serial number and he said, "yup, it's a C+, it was here in 2011." I mentioned dodger916's llA and from my research there seems to be around 10 llB conversions out there. I'm just waiting for some pictures to make sure it's not all beat up. One man's mint is another's "well that's an easy $5 volume pot and Mesa said they could fix the GEQ" mint. Not kidding, I see "mint" Boogies constantly being sold as mint missing pots, EQ sliders, etc. and it's always a $5 fix. This amp has been on CL for some time and he won't budge on the price, bummer. When I bought my stratocaster as a kid, everyone thought I was crazy. 35 years later, if I didn't love that guitar more than money….. I still own ENRON stock and was laughed at when I wanted to buy 100,000 shares of Apple @ $12 (it went down the next day).

Still no pictures of the llBC+ but I've found this - http://ithaca.craigslist.org/msg/4856599061.html 60 watt 10/84 factory C+ and have tried contacting this guy. This is what I was going for in the first place although I may buy both.

Markedman said:
Still no pictures of the llBC+ but I've found this - http://ithaca.craigslist.org/msg/4856599061.html 60 watt 10/84 factory C+ and have tried contacting this guy. This is what I was going for in the first place although I may buy both.

Did you PM on this thread? http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69342

There was a "I PM'd you" post on that thread that is now gone; just wondering if it's you. Member Bluelena is brand new, so he may not have seen the PM message. I will let him know there is some interest.

Either way, as you can see from the thread, I demo'd this amp for ~ a week and it's great. If I didn't already own "Cold Sweat", I would definitely have bought it, but I can't justify another C+, especially one that is so close to mine. :D . The amp was recently re-capped and re-tubed by Trace at VooDoo amps (local to Ithaca).

Thanks, your input is actually what swayed my decision to get this amp. I'm buying one or the other, hopefully. For some reason this llBC+ is calling my name, I had a llB once and it was pretty awesome. The Serial number was close to this amp's.
So as I'm writing this he emails me saying he can't do tomorrow, maybe next week. I'll call the guy with the SRG and grab that one first.

So in the end of my quest to own a C+, I never bought either of those two amps. I believe I actually got the best deal as far as resale value, and if the 10/84 SRG 13,xxx was in the poll, it would have won hands down. Thanks to all who voted, it made my decision a no-brainer.

Latest posts

Back