Which Lonestar???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I think that I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Lonestar, for an amp that does everything that I need and has the tones that I want.

I would like to get some opinions on which Lonestar is best for my situation.

I love Clean tones, and play mainly Strats. But, I like to get really dirty and mean tones out of my amps too. I am looking for a good amp for a cover band that will do everything from Alman Brothers to ZZ Top. Mostly Classic Rock. I can use a pedal for heavier stuff.

Which Lonestar gets the best Clean tones?

Which Lonestar gets the best Dirty tones?

Which Lonestar has the most sustain in both channels?

Which one keeps up with a moderately loud drummer?

Which one is better for small to medium size gigs? I can always mic it.

Can the Classic get great tones at bedroom levels in the 10 watt Class A setting?

Weight is not a factor, I work construction and am in pretty good shape. I have no problem moving my Heartbreaker around, although I ***** about it when I do.

I was leaning toward the Lonestar Special in the 1x12 combo because it's smaller than the 2x12. If I went with the Classic, I would just get the 2x12 since it appears to be the same size as the 1x12. The specs say that it only weighs 3 pounds more than the 1x12.

I would think that I need a combo because my kids are always unplugging things and trying to climb things, so my heads are always in disarray.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't really need another amp, I have several, but you know how the GAS bug is. I just finished a huge job and will be getting paid for it next month. The urge is filling me. Plus, my Heartbreaker doesn't have the Solo function.

I recently purchased a LSC 1 x 12. I played every lonestar in the shop; LSC 1 x 12 and 2 x 12, the LSS 1 x 12 and 4 x 10.

I really dug the LSS Class A 5 W feature, however I decided on the ugliest amp there (the blue / silver face LSC 1x12) because it was 300 bucks off the list last years model (w/o the 10 W option), and because It simply sounded the best. It was way more responsive than the 2 12 LSC, and sounded great on both channels. The 1 x 12 seemed way more responsive.

The LSS sounded great too, but I enjoy the bias select on the LSC and the added 100W headroom.

Both amps cost the same more or less, I got the LSC for 1299, and that extra cash i saved I picked up a LS extension cab to trun my 1 x 12 into a 2 x 12 if need be.

I would play them both and see what you like!

Also check out your local dealer, they might have the old LSC on sale there too to make room for the new 10W LSC. in the end for me that one extra feature did not merit me paying 3-4 hundred more.

I play the LSC at home in my garage at 2 am, and although it sounds better loud, I can still get a managable voulme out of it. that being said, I am sure the LSS is better for home use, with the 5W option.

Hey Monsta Tone, I would recommend the LSC, because the LSS will wear out tubes really fast in gigging situations. The LSC has awesome cleans and enough grit for what you are playing. There is a brand new one at Rockit in Brea that is discounted but it is in crocodile red. It is definitely a "lounge lizard" but for the price, I could live with it.....

My Mark IV was the Crocodile Red. It really grows on you after a while. The only thing that I can't handle is the white snakeskin, too '80s for me.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering about that. The venues around here (all 5 of them) are fairly small, maybe 2000 square feet at the most.

i would suggest a LSC. You'll have more headroom on the clean channel and a meaner and thick lead tone. LSS is supposed to have a great rich overdrive, but Class A and lower power reserve wouldn't allow you to get mean and big distorted tones.

I would go for the LSC. Maybe get the new version that has the 10 watt class A mode. With the LSC you can use 6L6, 6V6, EL34, and EL84 (with Yellowjacket adapters) power tubes.

Mesa has updated the LSC & there's a new amp line out now: the express...

the express 5:50 may have some bearing on your decision.

well i have a 2x12 lss and have been playing in a six piece band we play mostly country, classic rock and blues. play in bars,halls,week-end stuff and in the summer outside gigs in the parks and rodieo's
the good side to this amp is it's class A and is plenty loud for these gigs and the sound of a lss with single coils it just's sings and will cut through the band mix. i have mine plugged into the optional speaker jack for 35 watts it gives it more of a puncher sound its a very good amp
the down side i have found playing gigs with it i find you have to tilt the amp back i have mine on a amp stand tilt back one i can hear what the croud is hearing and two i find this amp if you don't put it on standby between sets its gets too hot and i find it gets muddy on channel 1 so putting it on a amp stand gives it more circulation. i use a tele deluxe with this amp. i found this amp is not very good with humbuckers it breaks up on channel 1 in wrong way for me but in ch 2 it will just sing for you
this is where i am at cross roads for my les paul the lsc is also a very good amp every bit as good as the lss and sounds good with humbuckers
but does not have the chime the lss has.too bad they are only given it 10 watts class A and not 30watts class A to the new lsc now that would be a great amp for any gig.so i am going to either get the new lsc or the rkII for my les paul and keep my lss for my tele.

Monsta-Tone said:
Also check out your local dealer,

I live 5 hours from my local dealer.

The 5 watt setting on the Special has my attention for home use, especially since I have small kids.

I definitely want to try the 5:25 as well.

Thanks for the info.

You might be surprised how loud that 5 Watt setting is......not my idea of bedroom level. It sounds nearly as loud as the 30 watt mode. I know I owned this amp twice in the past year.

On the other hand, the 5W setting on both the 5:25 & 5:50 is much more subdued -- bedroom level worthy.

I'm biased as I own a LSS, but it's a very versatile amp that just sings.

Retube it with JJ's, and you can get wonderful clear Haynes-like sustain and OD.

Thanks for all of the input guys, please keep it coming.

I'm planning on spending a day or two in the Mesa dealers in Phoenix. I want to play all of their stuff, old and new, before I actually make a decision. Otherwise, I am stuck ebaying things.

I just walked in from the Mesa dealer, after playing every amp he had, for me, hands down the LSS. (they didn't have a LSC, so I cant compare). The classic had really sparkly clean, and several nice overdriven sounds. The 5 watt option is tone for DAYS!!

Monsta-Tone said:
I was also thinking about the fact that you can use EL34's in the Classic. I like the tones that some of my Mesas get with 34's vs the 6L6's.

I would go for the LSC . Ive heard the LSC with EL34s and i prefered it over the 6L6s .

Just to be clear though, and you would think that I would already know this, the 10 watt setting on the LSC just came out this year?

So, I probably would not want to get an older one?

I really like the idea of this setting. Years ago, I sold a cabinet to a guy with a THD Univalve. He brought it over to my house and I was thinking, "What is this little thing going to do?" It only had 1 power tube, and a couple of preamp tubes.

The thing flat out rocked the house. It had the sweetest overdrive and was loud as hell through my Marshall 2x12.

I didn't play it, but it looked to me from the way he was playing, that it had some serious touch response, and the sustain was incredible.

I have both; I play my LSC head thru a Dr Z 2 x 12 cab and I have a LSS 1 x12 combo that I usually play with a 1 x 12 ext cab.

IF you can A/B them ( I know its tough), my guess is the answer will become clear to you fairly quickly.

Features on the two amps are pretty much a push; although older LSC's only have a 50 watt and 100 watt setting wherein the LSS's have the three settings.

To me, the LSC is all about Fender clean and Fender blackface distortion. It's dark, heavy, thick, SRV, with tons of headroom in channel 1. I think it is MUCH better than the LSS in terms of producing a good "heavy" distortion (Santana) although I rarely dial in that much gain. It's great with single coils or humbuckers (like a blackface Fender).

The LSS is "airier", its "whispy" or more jangly. I actually prefer the cleans of the LSS to the LSC. To me, its REALLY tough to dial in with a humbucker unless you're staying EXTREMELY clean. But with single coils, its wonderful. LOts of time I use just channel 1 with the gain at about 2:00; it produces a great clean and just the right amount of dirt for soloing.

If you're coming to Phoenix, talk to MAtt Brown at the Guitar Center at Metrocenter. He's tough to track down, but he's great. I'm pretty sure the Guitar Center in Scottsdale DOES NOT carry Mesa but the ones at Metrocenter and Tempe do. Call ahead to be sure. Meteocenter usually has at least one of each in stock.

I also have a Dr Z Maz 38 (which is EL-84 powered just llike the LSS; the LSC is 6L6 powered). Listen to the Buddy Whittington clips on the Dr Z website (or, better yet, buy the John MAyall 70th birthday CD where Buddy is the featured guitar player). THAT'S VERY CLOSE TO WHAT THE LSS SOUNDS LIKE WITH A STRAT.

Compare that to SRV, or Chris Duarte, or Kenny Wayne Shephard, or Johnny LAng (who generally played strats thru 6L6 blackface based Fender amps). I think you'll hear the "airier" or "whispier" or "lighter" nature of the EL-84 amp over the 6L6.

To me, that's the difference.

You mentioned the ABB and ZZ Top; if you're looking for the thick Duane/ Dicky/Billy tones with Les PAuls, I think you'll want the LSC.

One other thing-think about heads and cabs. If I had it to do over again, I'd have the LSS head, an LSC head, and an Avatar 2 x 12 cab with the Celestion Blues.

Anyway, good luck.

Can you really get Tremoverb gain with the LSC?

I had a friend who had one. He plays Blues and Classic Rock. He hated the Gain channel because he couldn't get a good Carlos tone with his PRS.

Monsta:

The Santana like tone out of the LSC is significantly better than trying to get it out of a LSS, although neither are as good as a MK IV.

I hope Picnic can elaborate, but I think his references are to Twin Reverb and Deluxe Reverb Fender amps.

Picnic??

Back