Which is the bigger beast-Krank or Dual rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesanomad100

Reaction score
Alright folks!Over here in the UK its pretty hard to get great amps in the same shop to demo so I have to ask,which head do you guys think is more brutal,tuneful,tone drenched and overall the bigger beast,a Krank revolution or a Mesa Dual Rec,I waiting on my new dual rec 3 Channel which should be here tomorrow or thursday but I would also like to know about the krank series of amps as they are pretty rare over here!

cheers guys

Euan

I've jammed on the "Krankenstine" head and it sounds like garbage to me. It's a pity that Dime's name is associated with that heap.

rabies: Dime 'supposedly' used the Krank heads on the New Found Power album. I have good, reliable sources who say that the Krank heads on stage were dummy heads... and that the Randalls were still kickin' in the background :wink: But, only he and Grady know the secrets behind that tone.

It really depends on the sound that you are after. I know that the Dual can sound great for rhythm but it may not necessarily be the lead tone that you are looking for. I was at a show locally for F5 (Dave Ellefson of Megadeth's current project) and their guitarist Steve got some very tasty lead tones from his Krank Revolution. His set up was Bad Horsie, Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, Krank Revolution and G-System. He was playing a Custom Shop Tele and his tone was absolutely beautiful in the context of what they were playing. Take it for what it is worth. I am not looking to rain on anyone's parade here or start a flame war.

Brutal in the context of distortion would have to go to the Dual. Tone I think would have to go to the Revolution. Tuneful? I am not sure what you mean. I cannot comment on having heard any other Krank amp live. As far as not hearing the Revolution in the mix goes, I certainly heard it and actually liked it a lot. True it didn't sound intimidating by any means but the tone it had was great.

when i saw arch enemy micheal amott and the other guy both had kranks onstage, but amott`s weren`t even on and his sound blew the other guitarist away! everytime i go to the paladium in worchester ma. there is always at least 1 band useing Krank, and they get lost in the mix every time. mesa`s and marshalls always sound awesome live!! hell even 5150`s blow away the krank`s

The Krank Revolution is a pretty nice sounding head. The Krankenstein is not. I saw Bury Your Dead and they were bothing using the kranks and they don't jump at all. They have a bruuuutal tone, but its just too bad you can't hear it.
My other guitarist in my band plays a krank and I really wish he wouldn't. My Dual Rec spanked it and the mark IV is going to show it up even worse. Its dumb when people say the head has no bass, though. You have a bass player for a reason, and if he can't double your guitar parts you aren't ever going to sound that good. You need the crunch and bite, leave the bass for the guy with the instrument built for it.

The construction quality of the Mesa is far superior. Mesa all the way!

3124+ said:
The construction quality of the Mesa is far superior. Mesa all the way!

I've played through the revolution and theStien. Made me want to kick the thing over and take a sledge hammer to it. Sounded like pure gargabe. This was when I was shopping for a new amp. Tried the Boogie and NEVER looked back!!! go Meas man...You will NOT be disappointed!!

I'll agree with the majority (all) that Krank's don't sound as good as Boogies......... But remember, you're on a "Mesa Boogie Forum", so the opinions are a little one sided. I'd aske this question on a "general board" like HCAF or TGP.

Aw....whadda you know...it's not like you've had 23 amps in the last 3 years or something :D
tele_jas said:
I'll agree with the majority (all) that Krank's don't sound as good as Boogies......... But remember, you're on a "Mesa Boogie Forum", so the opinions are a little one sided. I'd aske this question on a "general board" like HCAF or TGP.

tele_jas said:

Well, while I do want the 5:50, I don't own one yet, so I am not a diehard Boogie fanatic as I'm sure some of these gentlemen are :lol:

So I can tell you that Mesas (as well as Marshalls, Peaveys, and Riveras) sound way, way better than a Krank.

I was dismayed to see Dime's name on such a shitty, vibrating-cardboard sounding amp as the Krankenstein. It sounds absolutely horrible, and I'd happily play a modeling amp instead of one.

My current $450 Peavey ValveKing sounds better, and it's got no right to, since it's a fraction of the cost and made in China.

Back