Which IIC is this? "+", "I", ????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonarobb

Reaction score
A friend of mine is selling this but I wanted to ID it, and doesn't fit the normal Mark IIC criteria. It has the newer faceplate, RP11A Board, built in 1/84, but it has a low serial number and doesn't pass the loop test. It sounds amazing and the gain, from all the descriptions I've read on here, is more akin to the IIC+.

It has a weird dot, or quotation mark above Mike B's initials???

Here's some shots:

DSCN0265.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

DSCN0266.jpg

DSCN0262.jpg

DSCN0261.jpg

DSCN0260.jpg

Do the loop test:

Mark IIC+ Effects Loop

To have the definitive proof that an amp is in fact a IIC+ claim, one must first ascertain the above, but to prove beyond a doubt, there is a simple effects loop play test.

1) Plug your guitar into the fx return with the amp in LEAD mode.

2) Play a chord and let it ring out.

3) While it is ringing out, adjust the lead drive pot.

If there is a change in sound as you adjust that lead drive control - it is NOT a C+, it must be a Mark IIC. Reason is because the lead voice was placed entirely in the pre amp section in the C+ whereas the original C had some shaping after the pre amp which is why that lead drive would effect the sound when you plug your guitar into the fx return (bypassing the pre amp section).

That's really the only way to know for sure. It looks like it's an early IIC made right around the time when they came out with the upgraded "+" model. I believe they called everyone who ordered a "C" and offered the upgrade to "+", those who took the "+" upgrade get a "+" over the power cord and those who declined the "+" upgrade got a "dot" above the power cord.

I would guess that it was originally a "C" do the loop test to see if it's a "+", it may have been modded, right?

Someone here can probably tell you by looking at the chassis pics you provided, but that's my guess.

#2121313 said:
Do the loop test:

Mark IIC+ Effects Loop

To have the definitive proof that an amp is in fact a IIC+ claim, one must first ascertain the above, but to prove beyond a doubt, there is a simple effects loop play test.

1) Plug your guitar into the fx return with the amp in LEAD mode.

2) Play a chord and let it ring out.

3) While it is ringing out, adjust the lead drive pot.

If there is a change in sound as you adjust that lead drive control - it is NOT a C+, it must be a Mark IIC. Reason is because the lead voice was placed entirely in the pre amp section in the C+ whereas the original C had some shaping after the pre amp which is why that lead drive would effect the sound when you plug your guitar into the fx return (bypassing the pre amp section).

That's really the only way to know for sure. It looks like it's an early IIC made right around the time when they came out with the upgraded "+" model. I believe they called everyone who ordered a "C" and offered the upgrade to "+", those who took the "+" upgrade get a "+" over the power cord and those who declined the "+" upgrade got a "dot" above the power cord.

I would guess that it was originally a "C" do the loop test to see if it's a "+", it may have been modded, right?

Someone here can probably tell you by looking at the chassis pics you provided, but that's my guess.

Read his post again, he said it didn't pass the loop test. That means it probably is a regular IIC.

Boogiebabies said:
From the components in the preamp it's IIC, not a +.

Cool, thank you. The date and faceplate threw me off. Is there anything special about this IIC that makes it a good candidate for the + upgrade? It has the 100 transformer.

It has become evident that late non EQ IIC's have the pull deep face plate.
If it had an EQ it would have used the remaining gain boost face plates.
This amp has everything required for a + upgrade and their is nothing wrong with the 100 PT.

Boogiebabies said:
It has become evident that late non EQ IIC's have the pull deep face plate.
If it had an EQ it would have used the remaining gain boost face plates.
This amp has everything required for a + upgrade and their is nothing wrong with the 100 PT.

It actually sounds quite good as is. It's for a friend of mine who wanted me to just give it the thumbs up or not. He'll decide about the upgrade after he hears it. Thanks again for the confirmation. Appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back