Which Hot Plate for my Lone Star Special?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Nachman

Reaction score
I've been told to get the 8 ohm one (to match the load of the cabinet), but I want to be sure. With the different power options on the LSS and the different speaker outs on the back, I'm a bit confused. Any help would be appreciated.

From the manual:

The Lone Star Special provides one OPTIONAL / 35 WATTS (8 ohm) and two MAIN /30-15-5 (4 ohm) speaker outputs and this enables you to use many different combinations of speaker setups. The MAIN jack is preferred for most vintage inspired sounds where a smoother, warmer character will be noted in all three power selections and an impedance correct match will be achieved for the 15 and 5 watt selections and a slight mismatch will occur in the 30 watt setting where maximum power will be about 30 watts. Using the OPTIONAL jack will produce a correct match for the 30 watt selection boosting overall power to about 35 watts and producing a slight mismatch in the 15 and 5 watt settings (which is fine and may be preferable) giving all three selections a little more punch in the midrange frequencies.

The 1x12 combo uses an 8 ohm speaker while the 2 x 12 combo uses two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel and this harness connects to the OPTIONAL (8 ohm) speaker output.

The 1x12 combo uses an 8 ohm speaker
8 ohm hot plate

while the 2 x 12 combo uses two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel and this harness connects to the OPTIONAL (8 ohm) speaker output
8 ohm also. Make sure you are running speaker cables only in and out of the hot plate.

Thanks for the reply. Can you help me understand a little about why I use the 8 ohm Hot Plate when I'm running out of the 4 ohm out? I'm a bit unclear on that part.

Thanks,
Brett

Latest posts

Back