Which Graphic EQ for a Mark Series Amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
hi, i've got a studio pre and i'm gonna buying a Mesa 50/50 soon. Since i can't reach exactly that scooped Metallica's tone even with the built-in graphic EQ set to the classic V (the tone is still too sweet and juicy), i was thinking about buying a graphic eq and put it in the loop of my pre or eventually between the pre and the poweramp... i want something not too expensive and i thought for example of a MXR 10-band eq.. what do you suggest? 8)

I use the MXR 10 band (M108), works great. I don't like the loop of the TriAxis though so it sits in one of the loops in my GCX switcher which is after the output of the TriAxis and before the 50/50.

The Mxr is nice.

If you are really looking for the Metallica sound you need to remember that Their tone is somewhat complex. In addition to their Mesa tone they have that sound miked and eq'd then slaved into a Marshall. This is something that a lot of people forget.

Also if you want their earlier stuff just get an old Plexi that has the Arrendondo mod and a Proco Rat or a Tube Screamer. Those guys were both using "the" Marshall in the studio. After Ride James quit the Proco Rat. Kirk still loves his Tube Screamer.

Oh yeah....

...and from the mouth of James himself,

"I like to keep the mids up but just cut certain frequencies out..."

If you check out the picks of his IIC+ heads from back in the day you will see exactly that. He didn't use a classic V.

Russ said:
Oh yeah....

If you check out the picks of his IIC+ heads from back in the day you will see exactly that. He didn't use a classic V.

I don't like the classic V sound, I don't get why so many people like it so much. I guess it's good for metal, but for classic rock and blues, I don't think the V eq works. Just my opinion

jamme61 said:
I don't like the classic V sound, I don't get why so many people like it so much. I guess it's good for metal, but for classic rock and blues, I don't think the V eq works. Just my opinion
I agree!

I like using the MKIV eq as a volume boost for leads and rhythm. It's great to add dynamics to rhythm parts, with the eq, at least it works well for me, that way.

jamme61 said:
Russ said:
Oh yeah....

oh yes i can definitely get many great tones for rock and other genres by setting the eq not to the "V", but i play mainly metal and this is the reason for my question! bye and thanks to all for replies!

Latest posts

Back