Which Cab Should I Get For My Rack?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyntyr

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I finished my rack a few weeks back (Mesa Recto Preamp, Mesa Studio Preamp, Mesa 50/50, TC G-Major and a custom midi looper) and now im looking for an upgrade to my cab (just a cheapy 2x12). Unfortunately in Ireland there isnt much of a Mesa range so i'm not in a position to try out any of the cabs im after prior to ordering online so I'm relying on any information I can obtain off the net to help me make my choice.

As this rig is just going to be for home/studio use ive decided to go for a 1x12. My current options are;

Mesa Boogie Lone Star 23 1x12

Mesa Boogie Open Back 112 WideBody (I have never tried C90's or an open back cab)

Mesa Boogie Rectifier 1x12 (This would be my least favourite aesthetically since the width of the cab is smaller than the width of my rack which would be sitting on top)

Mesa Boogie Roadster 1x12 (This cab is currently not in stock with any online retailer I can find in Europe so I would have to wait a few weeks for it to arrive)

If it helps I would be looking to play Progressive Hard Rock/Metal. Any advice?

If you're only going to have one 1x12 cab most people would say get a Thiele or similar ported cab, Mesa or otherwise. Way more versatile...

If you have money to spend you wouldn't regret going with two 1x12s instead of just one. That rig is begging to be run in stereo, especially in the studio, mic the cabs separately and you can have endless amounts of mixing fun. Also, that way you can get one open- or partially open-back cab and one closed back.

You might even want to look into a custom cabinet. Might not be any more expensive than ordering one in, since you're an ocean away from Mesa anyway, and you could get a removable back or a ported cab.

Cheers man, that was a very insightful answer :) Luckily I found a second hand recto 2x12 cab in the classifieds of my local paper so im sorted :D

I have two 3/4 enclosed cabs which are stand mounted and they work great. The only draw back is that they are pretty big for 1x12's.

Latest posts

Back