Which Boogie ????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speaking of ozzy...

randy rhoads, was an excellent guitar player, but had quite possibly the WORST metal guitar tone with that MXR distortion, so brittle and harsh sounding .. EWW!

paleamberglow said:
speaking of ozzy...

randy rhoads, was an excellent guitar player, but had quite possibly the WORST metal guitar tone with that MXR distortion, so brittle and harsh sounding .. EWW!
keep in mind his live tone was much different than the tone you hear on the records. but you gotta cut him a little slack, that level of gain was nearly unheard of at that time.

as far as randy rhoads tone goes you have to consider outside factors, such as how the records were all mixed then, the 80s saw the rise of the SSL console a very CLEAN, but great sounding recording console, and some crazy new horrible sounding but expensive and "cool" digital effects, so alot of the records sound thin, its the nature of the beast, plus this might be off color for some but if you think about that era, they were doing alot of cocaine and cocaine can make things sound warm and fat, which is cool unless theres a record executive breathing down your neck so you compensate by recording and mixing things thin... it sounds like a joke but its true i actually have heard a funny story about an SSL console frying out and when they pulled it apart they found some ummm "residue" that had been lying in its chassis had shifted when they moved it and now had spilled over some circuits and burned

i can name a lot of records made at that time and before that had much better metal tone.. black sabbath for example, tony iommi's tone on the first couple sabbath records is still great even by today's standards.. mercyful fate had some albums out around 1980 and 81 using modded marshalls with excellent metal tone... i think the SSL console can be blamed for some of the production values of the time, but i think that bad RR tone on 'blizzard of oz' can be traced to the MXR distortion. diary of a madman had a lot better production and guitar tone, and yeah i have heard randy on live recordings and his tone was much better there...

I dont think you can compare the tone. The Gillis tone was shred. Up to that time it was by far the cats pajama's. I am not a Night Ranger fan by any means, but Gills and Watson's tone was insane. Everytime I watch Sports Center on ESPN I realize that thats Brad Gillis and he is an insane shredder.

Latest posts

Back