Which Amps Am I Overlooking?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundchaser59

Reaction score
I will be shopping around for a great sounding amp that can double as a top shelf practice amp. I just want a really nice but manageable second amp so that I dont have to tear down my recording rig (which is the 5.25 Express right now) whenever I go out to jam or play at small gigs or whatever. I have done quite a bit of research already, but I am convinced that I have missed something. I know there are things out there that I have not heard of yet, have not remembered to search for, or have simply dismissed without really knowing much about them, etc. So help me fill in the gaps in my list. You dont have to explain if you dont want to type much, just a name or a couple of names/models will be helpful. I will do the homework if you help fill in my list.

I have already combed thru the standard list, like Traynor and Mesa, and in fact I have a Mesa 5.25 Express. I am getting rid of the Vox Valvetronix practice amp because the more I play the Mesa the more I dislike the sound of the Vox ADxx amps.

Here are the conditions of the list....

REQUIRED TRAITS:

(1) Head Only, no combos unless it's a no-brainer, but then it must be a 1x12.

(2) Minimum 8 or 10 watts, prefer 15-30, but no 3 or 5 watt toy amps for $99 bucks blue light special.

(3) All Tube, no solid state.

(4) 8 ohm speaker out. (or selectable 4-8-16)

(5) Under $2,000 new.

(6) Made in USA, Canada, or UK - no China, Mexico, Korea, etc. manufacture.

DESIRABLE TRAITS:

(1) 2 (or 3) channel, foot switchable.

(2) Independent tone stack, tone controls for each channel, not shared, hopefully with at least Hi-Mid-Low.

(3) Master volume.

(4) Foot switchable boost.

(5) FX Loop or Send/Return.

(6) Loves Pedals.

And I should tell you that the standard against which this list is competing is the THD Flexi-50, which I can get for around $1800, or the THD BiValve which I can get for about $1200.

Thank You All in advance for your time and assistance!

Fuchs Lucky 7
Bad Cat Mini Cat
Dr.Z Mini Z,
Top Hat Portly Cadet, (Combo Only)
Mojave Coyote.
Divided By 13 (Super Good,Super Expensive)
Sigmund Amps (Custom Builder with exceptional work and reasonable prices)
Two Rock Opal and Jet.
Bruno.
Matchless has re-grouped and is offering some good stuff.
Star Amps
Baccino
Germino has some super stuff.
If you like the Express, look for a used F-30 or F-50 for that matter. You can find good pieces for screaming cheep. Same quality and options as all Boogies.

VHT (CL50, Pitbull 45)... Great souding amps that you can get at great prices used. They may not be for everyone though because a lot of people don't like how dry they sound (dry meaning very little sag).

Splawn Competition... One channel amp but has a footswitchable OD1/OD2 so it can be used like a 2 channel amp. If your into the hot rodded Marshall sound, this is the amp for you. Also the Nitro and Quickrod are amazing amps but they're both 100W.

Egnater Tourmaster... Awesome rock amp that sets up as a 100W amp that can go down to 20 watts (down to 10 watts on half power). The cleans are some of the best I've ever heard with gobs of headroom. The gain channels are a little looser than some other high gain amps, but to me this isn't meant to be high gain in the Recto sense but more of an all around rock amp. You can draw almost any tone you want out of that amp, and if you add an eq to the loop you can tighten it up into a somewhat MOP type tone. best of all (at least to me) is you can grab the head new for about $1400 at GC and the half stack for under $2000. Oh yeah and it's a 4 channel amp which gives you a very large palet to work with.

Bad Cat (Hot Cat/Panther/Wild Cat/The Lynx/Black Cat)... they can be pricey but they sound oh so good, especially the Black Cat and the Hot Cat. If you've ever heard Porcupine Tree, a lot of his mguitar tones are the product of Bad Cat amps.

Where is the Egnater stuff made? I saw that at GC today, but didn't have time to sit down and try it.....

Is Egnater a GC type amp? Or is GC a boutique type store now? :shock:

Also, there is a VHT Pit bull head at Music Go Round right now, haven't tried that yet either.

fishyfishfish said:
Fuchs Lucky 7
Bad Cat Mini Cat
Dr.Z Mini Z,
Top Hat Portly Cadet, (Combo Only)
Mojave Coyote.
Divided By 13 (Super Good,Super Expensive)
Sigmund Amps (Custom Builder with exceptional work and reasonable prices)
Two Rock Opal and Jet.
Bruno.
Matchless has re-grouped and is offering some good stuff.
Star Amps
Baccino
Germino has some super stuff.
If you like the Express, look for a used F-30 or F-50 for that matter. You can find good pieces for screaming cheep. Same quality and options as all Boogies.

Awesome list, Thanks!

The folks at THD, Fuchs, and Brown Note sure do have a knack for making very compelling sound clips!

I also spoke with the guy at Valve Tech today, interesting.

I thought about an F30/F50.......harder to find now than just a year ago, but I didn't have the money a year ago. I actually like the older Mesa sound just as well, I think the Contour control on the Subway Rocket was waaaaay better than the contour on the Express. They are not the same at all, but I do not claim to be intimately acquainted with my Express yet, either.....

don't want to break down your "Rig"...... A 5:25 and Rig I don't think are synonymous.

but alas..........just a head..how about a DC2.....or I know the combo was second choice but a Studio 22 or a subway perhaps

new...why not a 5:50 for your "rig" and bring the 5:25 home if you like the express and want new and want to be under 2

and of course an LSS head

Forgot to mention Bogner Metropolis Shiva and Duende and his new amp the Alchemist,and Victoria. Indoorstorm.com has some cool demo videos of misc. high end/working guitarist amps, as well as the link below. I did as much shopping as humanly possible before taking the plunge. http://www.steelbender.com/gear.html

soundchaser59 said:
Where is the Egnater stuff made? I saw that at GC today, but didn't have time to sit down and try it.....

Is Egnater a GC type amp? Or is GC a boutique type store now? :shock:

Also, there is a VHT Pit bull head at Music Go Round right now, haven't tried that yet either.

Sorry should have clarified. Eganter is the company and this particular amp i believe is made in China. Take that for what its worth but i found the amp to sound incredible when i played it at Guitar Center = GC. I wouldnt call GC a boutique store although most have some higher end gear depending on the store (VHT, Diezel, Bogner, etc.). If you see one I would check it out.

The VHT Pitbull is a killer amp. They just put out the Sig X amp which is a little closer to the sag you get from a Recto but retains its very tight high gain tone. Its a killer amp (probably something I'll add to my rig at some point) and its priced just under $2000. Also the Pitbull CL50 is another killer amp. Somewhat like a hot-rodded Marshall but definitely with its own voicing. Worth checking out also but its a love it or hate it amp. you have to like the VHT to get into them.

Also another amp to check out is the Peavey JSX (Joe Satriani model). A very lush lead tone and a very crunchy rhythm channel. Cleans are pretty good too and its very very affordible.

I hope this help.

woops i thought you were asking if GC was a boutique store. sorry bout that but egnater is the company and not a GC branded amp.

Try an Orange Tiny Terror (7 and 15 watts true Class A). Mean little bugger, goes for about US$550. Made in Korea though, but trust me, top knotch worksmanship there, I've manhandled it and it's pretty bombproof.

It can get as gainy as oldschool metal, and if you through a boost in front of it, it gets NASTY.

Id like to clarify that egnater could be considered a boutiique amp manufacturer that makes some of the most amazing amps on the market. The tourmaster however is manufactured under his name in china so that he can distribute it to guitar centers everywhere (and a few other retailers). He is located in Berkley, Michigan (about twenty minutes from me) and is very friendly and happy to answer amp questions personally on the phone. As good as the tourmaster amp sounds many believe that it does not compare to the amps which are built in his shop. This is an opinion which at this point I can neither confirm nor deny, I can say however that I have heard a variety of his amps that are amazing. He has worked with randall to manufacture their interchangeable preamp series of amplifiers and is working with a variety of other amp manufacturers and helping to produce some of their most desirable models. You can get a head and a few modules from him (all tube) and I believe you will find every sound you want and have a swiss army knife for practice and recording. If you want to make a trip and spend $1600 you can even build an egnater modified mojotone jcm45 model amp from scratch with a weekend course and recieve a manual for mods for the head (yes you get to keep the head).
hope this helps

check out www.egnater.com

The local used place here has a VHT Pitbull 50CL that I test drove today. Man that thing is pretty sweet. Made in the USA, very smooth, two independent channels, nothing buzzy or fizzyabout it, easy to dial in, etc. etc.....

I tlooked almost new, very little use, but I have no idea if it's worth the $1300 price tag they stuck on it....

Would love to have it though.

Man, there's a little Carr Rambler 1x12 on ebay right now, love to give that a whirl toooooooo! :lol:

Lou said:
don't want to break down your "Rig"...... A 5:25 and Rig I don't think are synonymous.

but alas..........just a head..how about a DC2.....or I know the combo was second choice but a Studio 22 or a subway perhaps

new...why not a 5:50 for your "rig" and bring the 5:25 home if you like the express and want new and want to be under 2

and of course an LSS head

+1. I might be very unpopular but to me the express is an amp for small gigs or rehearsal/practice. I suggest using the express as your practice amp and getting something else for your...rig. :lol:

Geeeez..... and I thought I was turning into a tube snob..... :lol:

When I use the term "rig" I am referring to a lot more than just this little Express amp, people..... I believe I used the word "recording" in front of the word "rig" and that entails more than just a little amp. I'm not that green......

Just because I'm no longer young enough or silly enough to lug around 5 guitars, 3 heads, four 4x12 monster cabs, 6 pedal boards and a 18 space rolling rack....... :roll: :shock:

But........ I digress......

Back