Which amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading up here, and figured I'd get some input from fellow Mesa users. I currently am running a Rectoverb combo, but I'm looking for something to use as a main amp for gigging (head version preferably). The main problem I have with the rectifiers is the saggy bottom end. I cannot get any form of tight bottom end from my single rec, and I know that others with dual/triple rec's have had the same issue/complaints. I've palyed with tubes, EQ settings, etc. I play mostly hard rock, occassionally some metal, but I'm really very broad with my style. Any suggestions?

I had a feeling that was going to be what I'd be leaning toward. I hear they are very versatile......

I was looking at the Stiletto line, but there seems to be some question of flubbiness on that one, also. I know that they have the series 2 out now, but I have yet to hear anything significant about its performance.

I used to have the flubbiness issue with my DR. This is how I solved it.

Retubed it with:
GT 6L6 GE's #4's
V1 - GT 12AX7-M
V2&3 GT12AX7C's
V4&5 JJ ECC83's.

Got rid of the Mesa Cab after swapping speakers like mad. Tried Marshall cabs with 75W speakers... Close but not what I needed. Settled on the Genz Benz G-Flex Cabs 2 x 12 and 4 X 12 . The bottom end has to be projected somewhere. With the ports on the GB the bottom is tight and I can't fart out the cab even with the bass completely dimed on the DR. I know I've repeated myself in other threads but this really does work. .02

Jak0lantern01 said:
I was looking at the Stiletto line, but there seems to be some question of flubbiness on that one, also. I know that they have the series 2 out now, but I have yet to hear anything significant about its performance.

As someone who's owned all the amps in question here (3CH DR, Mark IV, Stiletto Deuce I and Stiletto Ace), the flub is gone from the series II no question. That was my biggest complaint about series I's fluid drive mode.

You really cant go wrong with a Stiletto or Mark.. it comes down to personal preference. My stiletto is my british fix and my mark is everything inbetween 8)

So I assume the Mark IV can handle pretty much anything I thow at it. I was kinda bred on GnR sounding music, but lately my band has been playing some A7x and some other newer-type hard rock and metal along with some Wylde-era Ozzy. SO, this amp is going to be adequate? The recto has gobs of gain (I do pull it back these days and put a light boost in front for those necessary moments). Any other input out there? I was thinking of whatever amp I settle on, I'll be keeping the rectoverb as my backup.

The Stiletto might handle the GnR and Wylde moments slightly better because of the slight move towards a British sound. The Mark IV is probably the tightest amp you will find though. I find it difficult to dial in a flub while using it. This is not to say that you can't but it is the nature of the amp if not abused to be flub free. To be perfectly honest though, I usually will plug into one of my Marshalls for Marshall type tone. The beauty of the Mark IV is that you have so many options that you have no real excuse for not being able to find your tone except for impatience. Most everything is in there except the bottommost portion of the Rec and the sag of a rectifier tube. If you run EL-34's you can get a more British sounding amp from the Mark IV also than just running the stock quad of 6L6's. Then there is always other tube swap options as well. The Mark IV changed my life.

WOW! A life altering experience. I'm starting to think I may be set on a Mark IV. Just to clarify an earlier statement, though: I'm not looking to get a Marshall sound from a Mesa so much, I was more specifying the type of music I play and was wondering if this amp can handle the variety of music that will be thrown at it, especially in terms of gain, sustain, etc. I never realized how little sustain my recto had until I put a Zakk Wylde overdrive in front of it. I'd rather do without the extra tap dancing if it's not necessary (yes, I am aware of the Mark's pedal and all the functionality).

Jak0lantern01 said:
WOW! A life altering experience. I'm starting to think I may be set on a Mark IV. Just to clarify an earlier statement, though: I'm not looking to get a Marshall sound from a Mesa so much, I was more specifying the type of music I play and was wondering if this amp can handle the variety of music that will be thrown at it, especially in terms of gain, sustain, etc. I never realized how little sustain my recto had until I put a Zakk Wylde overdrive in front of it. I'd rather do without the extra tap dancing if it's not necessary (yes, I am aware of the Mark's pedal and all the functionality).

Have you played the Mark IV yet?

I have not yet tested one, that's why I was asking about its capabilities. The problem with testing them in stores is that you don't always seem to really hear the amp. I read a lot of people saying that the amp sounded great in the store, but it wasn't the same animal at home.

Jak0lantern01 said:
I have not yet tested one, that's why I was asking about its capabilities. The problem with testing them in stores is that you don't always seem to really hear the amp. I read a lot of people saying that the amp sounded great in the store, but it wasn't the same animal at home.

Find a place with a good return policy and take it home with you to play with YOUR gear in your place.

The Mark IV is one of those amps that even if it were on fire, smashed with a hammer, had a swarm of deadly bees inside it and finally was plunged into icy water would still sound fvcking ridiculously good :p

The Mark IV has 3 channels that are actually all usable. R1 has amazing cleans, R2 is great for a mid-breakup crunch and Lead is well, a face melter.

jbird said:
Actually, I've heard R2 to be useless!

That's a common thing I've read too, it just takes a little more time to figure it out. It's one of my favorite rhythm tones now!

It's the springboard for all my OD/Fuzzes too, it's perfect for that.

jbird said:
Actually, I've heard R2 to be useless!

When I had my Mark IV, I was unable to ever get the tone I was looking for out of R2. Granted, I was much younger (and stupid) at that time. :lol:

Back