Which amp has more gain the Lonestar or Stiletto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've played both, but haven't bought one or the other yet. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges. They have distinctly different sounds and are aimed at different purposes. I like them both very much.

The Stiletto's gain is high alright, but not just gain for the sake of gain, a la a Rexto. I played the Deuce, and it sounds to me like the Marshall of my dreams. Big and toneful, not brittle or piercing when it comes to gain.

The Lonestar has the classic small amp pushed tone, lovely and soulful.

The Stiletto had a little more gain than the Lone Star that I got to try out.

The Stiletto was a lot more like a JCM 800 with a little more gain and a lot more compression. I didn't like the Stiletto at all, but it may work well for others. I'll probably go back and give it another shot.

The Lone Star shot for more of that "boutique vintage high gain" voice. It felt real soft and round. I actually liked this amp a lot for what it did. I like smooth amps.

Dale

I love them both very much! Both are really great amps!
IMO the Deuce has more gain and sounds like a "boutique" Marshall. To compare with a Marshall, the Deuce is a bit more "polite" sounding, its distortion sounds sericeous.

Dale B. said:
The Stiletto had a little more gain than the Lone Star that I got to try out.

The Stiletto was a lot more like a JCM 800 with a little more gain and a lot more compression. I didn't like the Stiletto at all, but it may work well for others. I'll probably go back and give it another shot.

The Lone Star shot for more of that "boutique vintage high gain" voice. It felt real soft and round. I actually liked this amp a lot for what it did. I like smooth amps.

Yeah I know what you mean about the Lonestar being smooth, just got through playing mine. DAMM THIS THING IS JUST SO BEAUTIFUL!!! This thing just gives new meaning to the word tone in my opinion. For any of you guys or gals that are looking to buy this thing let me warn you now. THIS MOTHER IS OFF THE CHARTS LOUD!! I havent even turned it up past 9:30 and everything in the room shakes. As far as the Stiletto goes, if it has that JCM 800 sound I will keep looking. Cool sounds and all, but not my cup of tea. I am more for the Plexi sound. Cheers :D
Dale

The Stiletto may very well be able to cop a Plexi vibe. It's a real versatile amplifier in what it's able to do, but it still won't be a Plexi or any other Marshall for that matter. I just didn't like it when I played it. I think there are better amps out there for the money that you would pay for one of those.

Hey Rego the amigo, I need some help here, check my post from the other forum:

OK Guys, here's the deal .... since I'm not going to be switching tubes on my LS back and forth from 6L6 to EL34, and I want to replace my Marshall TSL 100 head, here are my options:

- Peavey JSX.
- Lonestar with EL34.
- Mesa Stiletto Deuce.

I need some help here, any oppinions of the Marshall sound against the amps above will be appreciated, thanks.

greggmetal said:

OK Guys, here's the deal .... since I'm not going to be switching tubes on my LS back and forth from 6L6 to EL34, and I want to replace my Marshall TSL 100 head, here are my options:

- Peavey JSX.
- Lonestar with EL34.
- Mesa Stiletto Deuce.

I need some help here, any oppinions of the Marshall sound against the amps above will be appreciated, thanks.

I have el34's in my Lonestar and it sounds killer.

regotheamigo said:

If you compare a Marshall with your LS w/EL34s,
do you think sound similar?
can you dial the same amount of distortion/overdrive?
is it more versatil than the Marsahall?
Is the distortion enought to play 80's heavymetal?

Sorry about so many questions :) , I just ordered my set of Svetlana EL34's to give it a try, but can't wait, besides I would like to hear oppinions. :)

"If you compare a Marshall with your LS w/EL34s,
Is the distortion enought to play 80's heavymetal? "

To answer all your questions.
Yes It sounds familiar to a plexi marshall
the overdrive is about the same. maybe the lonestar has a little more
It is a lot more versital than a Marshall
I don't really think there is enough distortion for 80's metal. That is easily fixed though with a overdrive, distortion pedal.
If it makes your decision any easier. I use to have a plexi reissue 100 head with the marshall cabs with greenback 25's and the Lonestar blew that peace of crap out of the water with tone. Way Way better sounding amp in my opinion. :D Cheers

greggmetal said:
regotheamigo said:

If you compare a Marshall with your LS w/EL34s,
Is the distortion enought to play 80's heavymetal?

Sorry about so many questions :) , I just ordered my set of Svetlana EL34's to give it a try, but can't wait, besides I would like to hear oppinions. :)

Call me crazy, but if you want Marshall sound, why not just buy a Marshall?

Sounds like you'd be better off getting a single channel JCM800 (not a reissue) and having it modded. For 80s metal it would smoke almost any mesa any day of the week.

greggmetal said:

- Peavey JSX.
- Lonestar with EL34.
- Mesa Stiletto Deuce.

I'd give the JSX a try. I did and sold my Mark IV for one. It's got awesome, awesome cleans and oodles of gain on both the Crunch and Ultra Channels. I run mine through a Mesa 2x12 recto cab.

regotheamigo said:
Just curious. I own the Lone Star and love it but just wish it had a little more gain.

Fuzzboxes can turn your guitar into a square wave generator. You can't get any more gain than that. They're cheap too.

Most people buy expensive tube amps because they don't want square wave generators.

I guess Randall Smith found a market for expensive square wave generators.

JazzRules said:
regotheamigo said:
Just curious. I own the Lone Star and love it but just wish it had a little more gain.

Fuzzboxes can turn your guitar into a square wave generator. You can't get any more gain than that. They're cheap too.

Most people buy expensive tube amps because they don't want square wave generators.

I guess Randall Smith found a market for expensive square wave generators.

:wink:

OK Guys, in any case, I'm not gettign rid of the Marshall TSL, I've read oppinions about it, and it just needs new tubes, I'll do that. But still want to search for complementary sounds, and get a new amp, but not Marshall brand, it's either Mesa or Peavey. Please continue sending me oppinioins about them, I'm still looking for a Mesa Stiletto Deuce to try it. I guess that on the Paevey JSX, I can trust on MF return policy. :)

I got yesterday a set of Svetlana EL34's, so I went to replace the tubes on my Lonestar, and give it a try.

I started testing at 50 watts, on the clean channel, it felt really really good, I loved it.

The I went to the 2nd channel, and it was good, but not exactly what I expected or wanted. I tried a lot of different settings, and found a lot of different useful tones, but not the ones in my head.

Then I remebered what Nomad said once, and went and change the rectifier to solid state and 100 watts. I believe this is the best sound for the EL34's from them all. Nice clean channel and the 2nd channel went pretty hot, I set the "Loop in" and control around 12 o'clock, I got a lot of really cool sounds, but still not what I'm after, but I'll keep inmind in my bag of tricks .

The amp is going back to the 6L6's , which I love the most in this amp. So right now my desicion is between a Stiletto Deuce or a JSX, and I think the Stiletto has better features, just with the 50/100 watts, 2 channels and 3 options on every channel, makes it killer. so we'll see

Latest posts

Back