which 4x12 for the Mark IV head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalheadgreg

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a new Mark IV medium head on order and was wondering what 4x12 and/or speakers would sound "best" (subjective, I know) with this amp? I'm open to any brand, but would be happy to go with a Mesa.

If it helps any, I play old-school thrash and speed metal (Megadeth, Annihilator, Metallica, King Diamond, etc.)

Thanks 8)

without a single doubt, the traditional sized cabinet. it will give you all the tight lows for those styles or riffs. you may try vintage 30's, EV12s, or GT75's. This is similar to a marshall cab, but most agree it has better construction.

Elpelotero said:
without a single doubt, the traditional sized cabinet. it will give you all the tight lows for those styles or riffs. you may try vintage 30's, EV12s, or GT75's. This is similar to a marshall cab, but most agree it has better construction.

I totally agree . I own one of the traditional cabs and its great .

if you want a cab that sounds as big as a 4x12 without ths hassle to log around sucha big thing, try the 2x12 Bogner oversized cab.

What kind of sounds are you looking to achieve with the Mark IV???

MC90's are very good with it, since the amp was designed for those.
The V30 might be a bit too harsh if you don't eq a bit, and the 75 will scoop the sound a bit.
The cleans on the other hand with the v30 and the g12t75 together is awesome.Big and heavy, since i cannot find another word for it.

I am running this litle thing here with one mc90-30-and a 75.
Haven't had the chance to really open it up and let it sing yet.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but the MARK IV is one great little girl(and that is her halloween dress, since she is really a Big bad Wolf!!!)

DSCF0132.jpg

thanks for the replies 8)

I just came home with a used Marshall 1960 4x12 bottom loaded with EVM12L Black Label drivers (the Zakk Wylde sigs). this is a 1200w cabinet!!! :shock: can we say "zero cone distortion" heh

anyway, I paid $180. this cab has definitely seen some action; scuf marks and cigarette burns galore. (it also has the pleasant scent of maryjane) but the grill is clean and intact, and I opened it up before buying and saw that the wiring, jacks, and rear plate are brand new...just like the seller said.

I have no idea what this 4x12 will sound like with the Mark IV. if it's a no-go, I have a friend with an old Marshall 2203 whose dying to take it off my hands :)

cheers

I believe a single one of those speakers alone costs nearly that much! Good buy! You could even make money off of it!

metalheadgreg said:
thanks for the replies 8)

I just came home with a used Marshall 1960 4x12 bottom loaded with EVM12L Black Label drivers (the Zakk Wylde sigs). this is a 1200w cabinet!!! :shock: can we say "zero cone distortion" heh

anyway, I paid $180. this cab has definitely seen some action; scuf marks and cigarette burns galore. (it also has the pleasant scent of maryjane) but the grill is clean and intact, and I opened it up before buying and saw that the wiring, jacks, and rear plate are brand new...just like the seller said.

I have no idea what this 4x12 will sound like with the Mark IV. if it's a no-go, I have a friend with an old Marshall 2203 whose dying to take it off my hands :)

cheers
PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!

metalheadgreg said:
Hello,

I've got a new Mark IV medium head on order and was wondering what 4x12 and/or speakers would sound "best" (subjective, I know) with this amp? I'm open to any brand, but would be happy to go with a Mesa.

If it helps any, I play old-school thrash and speed metal (Megadeth, Annihilator, Metallica, King Diamond, etc.)

Thanks 8)

I played a Mark IV on top of a Mesa 4X12 tradtional cab today at my local Mesa dealer . They fit like a glove. IMHO

Back