Which 2x12 Cab? Advice needed!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently using a Custom Audio OD-100+ (on its way) through a 4x12 Mesa traditional recto cab. However, the 4x12 has been increasingly impractical to keep, so I'm selling it.

I may be trying/buying various other amps in the near future, so ideally, I need a cab that's suitable for them all. Said amps include: Diezel VH4, Bogner Ecstasy 100B, maybe a few others like Elmwood Modena, ENGL SE, I dunno.

Possible cabs I'm looking into:

2x12 Mesa recto cab
1x12 Mesa Thiele + Electrovoice EVM12L speaker
2x12 Earcandy Buzzbomb
2x12 Genz Benz G Flex
2x12 ...ENGL, Diezel, Bogner, Custom Audio, VHT, etc etc etc

I know that Mesa cabs are reliable and not too expensive, but there are countless other great cabs out there. For some reason, loyal Diezel fans think that only Diezel cabs can handle the low-end frequency response of a Diezel amp, so... Bogner claims to build spectacular cabs as well. Everybody loves Custom Audio, VHT, etc.

So basically, what I'm saying is, I'm open to suggestions.
Let's hear 'em! :)

(Oh, and just in case, I'm using a PRS Custom 24 for now.)

probably cant go wrong with any of those but i picked up a g flex for 300 dollars and it definately can handle low end

probably cant go wrong with any of those but i picked up a g flex for 300 dollars and it definately can handle low end

Visualrocker69,

Have read quite a bit of your posts, and gained the impression you know what you want, are discriminating, not particularly willing to blindly follow the perceived Mesa herd, and not shy about expressing your feelings for better or worse. Awesome.

A speaker cabinet is pretty easy to build or in some cases modify yourself. That will give you what you want and it will be all yours. You have purchased an amp with certain very special capabilities, to get it to it's maximum potential for your use you will likely need to hands on personally research and experiment, for better or worse. If you stop and think about the tones you like to play than you can narrow down the cab choices by what cab types you have personally seen work for what tone types you like. Then you can start doing cab and speaker brand research and selection. Have also found that speakers and cabs are more tone impact than tubes and bias, and I'm a vintage tube collector for what that's worth. Don't expect perfection on the first try, don't be afraid to mix speaker brands/magnet types in multi speaker cabs. I like running a cab set up for higher or equal ohmage to the amp's highest output ohm selection available.

Speaking from oersonal experience, I bought a very special boutique amp and it took a gradual sorting process of two years to get some cabs and speakers that worked with it to it's top potential. It's harder to tune up the suspension, wheels and tires on a Ferrari Testarossa to get it's best than a Volkswagen. The necessary parts are more costly and are in some case custom made. Same for speakers and cabs for very top end guitar amps in my humble opinion.

Sometimes the output transformers used in those very top end production or handmade boutique amps have wider range of frequency response than most other guitar amps' OT's, this amp was like that and it was a real ***** to get it to reach full potential. Tried several 12 and 15 inch cabs and speaker types, not instant gratification at all.

The result was worth the effort. Best of luck. Peace.

www.Avatarspeakers.com -- best kept secret in guitar cabs!!

Well made cabinets loaded with just about any speaker you like for half the cost of most comparable high-end brand names. Seriously - about HALF the cost. I have 2 of their cabs.

They're a small outfit in Boise, ID that doesn't waste money on advertising and nonsense.

Avatar is good stuff, for sure. But - especially for the OD100 - try Ear Candy.

http://www.earcandy.com

At LEAST give them a call and talk about what you want. Best cabs made. Period. I've owned almost everything and played everything else. EC is the clear winner. Hands down.

Call them!

Ahh I've been researching this for way too long.. here's what I thought.

Being in Australia, I considered the available: Orange, Avatar, ENGL & Genz Benz G-flex.

I ended up with an ENGL 2x12" vintage (v30s) for less than the others though, so I did pretty well.

The orange ppc212 is a bloody tank (around 40kgs), so it's smaller, but not a great deal more portable than a 4x12". It actually weighs more than a Marshall 1960A

An avatar bogner or orange copy would probably be the most cost-effective choice. These are oversized compared to regular 2x12s, but a bit lighter than a genuine orange 2x12.

I've never tried the g-flex, but a mate of mine found the tone too 'sludgy' & 'bassy'.

I've heard good things about diezel, bogner, vht cabs.. but buggered if I could find/afford one in Oz.

I can vouch for the Engl 212 Horizontal. From what alot of people say about Engl amplifiers they seem to excel at high gain metal tones. However the thing that sold me on this cab was the quality of the clean tones (it has a pair of V30's in it).

ML

Latest posts

Back