Where's my bass?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miguelk

Reaction score
Bought a Mark IV off a mate of mine a few months ago, and picked up a 1x12 thiele extension cab to go with it.

I love the amp, but find that the bass response is really lacking. They other guy in my band plays a fender blues deluxe, which positively booms over my boogie - even with the Thiele!

If I crank the bass - the bottom end loses all focus and just gets flabby. I'm pretty much stuck with the bass set to 5. Even the EQ can't really provide the low end I'd like.

This is the case with all channels, but I'd especially like to get the low end boost on R1 & R2.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have a bad tube somewhere. Every Mark series I have played (I reissue, IIc, IV) has had too much bass at about four. Uncontrollable anywhere above.

I usually set the bass on my IIc at 2 and give it a little push on the graphic for the dirty channel. This gives me a tight, yet profound bass response, even with a 1x12.

nocluejimbo said:
Sounds like you have a bad tube somewhere. Every Mark series I have played (I reissue, IIc, IV) has had too much bass at about four. Uncontrollable anywhere above.

I usually set the bass on my IIc at 2 and give it a little push on the graphic for the dirty channel. This gives me a tight, yet profound bass response, even with a 1x12.

I agree set the bass low like 1 or 2 so it doesn't flub out in the preamp section then push the bass in the EQ. This is what EVH did to if you care. Set a EQ going into the amp with a frown then set an EQ after the preamp going into a power amp with a smile. My MKIIC+ does a great scooped heavy metal bass.

What tubes are you running, and how old are they???
I can't believe that you're un-happy with the bass responce. Check on those tubes....
ax. 8)

axwielding1 said:
I can't believe that you're un-happy with the bass responce. Check on those tubes....
ax. 8)

Thanks a bunch for the advice - easy thing to fix. I am running all original tubes - probably 5-6 years old. Would it most likely be the output tubes?

miguelk said:
axwielding1 said:
ax. 8)

Thanks a bunch for the advice - easy thing to fix. I am running all original tubes - probably 5-6 years old. Would it most likely be the output tubes?

Definitely.

+1 output.. Stick with something high power....Really good Svetlana's...
They seem closest to the Sylvannias to my ears..

ax. 8)

Latest posts

Back