When trying out a Boogie...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-5best

Reaction score
Hey Im on the search for a new amp and have a huge list of amps I want to try out, many of which are Mesas(DC*, Mk IV, Rec, Express etc.). My question is I know a lot of Mesa amps require a fair deal of tweaking in order to get he sound you want but to be honest Im no expert at tweaking quite yet. When you tried out an amp, say a Mark IV, were you immediately impressed or did you need time to play with it for a little?

Like I said Im no tweaking expert but Im not exactly an idiot either, what do you suggest I do when I go to try them out? I heard somewhere around here that I should start at 0 and then add each knob until Im happy with what it sounds like or something, any other suggestions?

For the record I want pretty good cleans and crunch and balls to the wall earth shattering metal rhythm and lead.

I was thinking maybe I should DL the manuals and then write down some of the suggested settings and then go to the store?

The MESA amp is almost more of an instrument than the guitar. The best thing I think is to get the manual of the amp you are looking at and get a handle on the way that the main controls interact. This is really the key to all MESA amps. On a Mark I it is the balance of Vol 1 and Vol 2 with the pres etc.

With amps like the Lone Star this is key to dialing in the tone. They are there, but if you have a good starting point you will be able to get a better idea which amp is your best fit.

BWK

This may not work for everyone but it does for me.

When trying a new amp out I allways set all the controlls half way then adjust from there.

Also I get my Clean Tone first then I go down the Dirty Tones I need.

Any Mk-based amp set your tone 7/3/3 T/M/B, Presence low to start. Any other amp 5/5/5. Mesa's generally sound best with less gain than you would expect, so start low.

One thing I've learned with Mesa's...they sound totally different when you're alone vs. when you play with other people...if you can get some guys at the store to jam with you, that would give you a better idea of what it will really sound like in a band setting.

ANY amp I tryout, I always set about the same starting point: bass ~ 6-7, mid ~ 5-6, Treb ~ 5-8, then work from there. Usually, if I cant get a decent sound out of these settings, I wont really like the amp. Now, I LOVE tweaking, but if I set the settings like above and it sounds like crap, no thanks.

The best tone tool I have found is a simple A/B box. If you can bring an amp that you are familiar with(or the store has one there) test the prospective amp by going back and forth with an A/B box. If you have never tried this, do it with two amps you have now. I can assure you, you will hear things you did not notice before. You don't have to take your hands off the guitar play the same thing through both amps, and you will zero in on the sound you want.

Ok so I guess Ill just set them up standard, treble and bass around 5-7 and mid around 3-5 or so? Any suggestions for like a basic metal, classic rock and clean sound? Like Metallica, AC/DC and then I guess just a decent clean tone, is there anything I should know that would make the EQ for these really different?

well, if you are trying a used Mesa - especially something non-current - your best bet is to get the manual downloaded. Mesa does a nice job with the sample settings. Also, search this website for sample settings ... like "Mark III settings" or something like that ... and bring that with you.

Many of the settings in the manuals were dead on for what I wanted to hear.

If you are trying out at a chain store (like a GC), do not let those guys set the amp ...most haven't a clue as to how a mesa works. My suggestion is to stick with either the clean or lead channel first, whichever is your primary tone, and stay there for a while.

Keep gain low, and start adjusting the tone stack from left to right (input jack side if you've got a head that's "upside down" like on a recto head), on many of the older ones that means treb to mid to bass. Less is more with most mesas. Start with treb at 3, mid at 2, and bass at 3, then go from there, understanding that mesa's treb and mid circuits on their older stuff has a bit of "gain" built in (DCs and Marks).

Once you get a tone you think you're liking, now try adjusting the gain knob incrementally as this will now alter the voicing of that channel, prompting minor changes from the tone stack.

If you're trying a boogie with a Graphic EQ (DC and Mark), keep the bass setting low on the knob (under 5 at first) as this adds bass at the preamp level. To add thump, you're better off adding bass at the GEQ slider as this is after the preamp and lends a much tighter and more authoritative bottom end. And with the GEQ, don't start with the "V" shape. Start flat, and notice the signif changes even small slider movements make in tone, especially the mid slider which can range from death-metal mid scoop to billy gibbons mid girth. :)

Finally, bring your own guitar if you have the chance ...it makes a big difference.

And as was already said, check out the manual if you have the chance, just so you're familiar with that particular boog.

Edward

lockbody said:
Any Mk-based amp set your tone 7/3/3 T/M/B, Presence low to start. Any other amp 5/5/5. Mesa's generally sound best with less gain than you would expect, so start low.

+1

nosajwp said:
One thing I've learned with Mesa's...they sound totally different when you're alone vs. when you play with other people...if you can get some guys at the store to jam with you, that would give you a better idea of what it will really sound like in a band setting.

This is also very true.

Most important thing IMO is to be careful with your bass setting on Mesas. If you get flub then back it off. Mark series especially does not like much bass. More than 4 and you'll hear some woofiness. A bass guitar should add your bottom end thump for you not the amp.

Back