When to retube?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mexirican

Reaction score
I've owned my triple rec for about 5 years now and have only replaced tubes when they blow out. So far, I've replaced 2 pairs of tubes. Would there be a sound different or anything if I changed the remaining pair of 6L6 STR-440s even if they aren't blown?

Yes, definitely. Tubes should be replaced every 6 months to a year depending on how much you play. But, at the same time, if you like the tone of old tubes, there's no harm in keeping them in your amp. Just realize that the degradation of tubes is so slow that you likely won't notice unless you compare it with a new set of tubes.

On another note, it's always good to keep a spare set of tubes around should something happen, so getting a new set for comparison isn't a bad idea.

If your really into getting that nice new tube sound then yeah, I would replace every 8-12months. But you may want to replace sooner if you crank your tubes when you use them. If you push them harder each time you jam through your amp then they are going to wear out more quickly.

All tubes turn white on the top when they are completly dead. If you see that and the rest are the same age then I would replace them all. I also keep an extra set or two of 6L6s and a full set of EL34s just for variety.

Now get back to jamming-

TheMagicEight said:
Yes, definitely. Tubes should be replaced every 6 months to a year depending on how much you play. But, at the same time, if you like the tone of old tubes, there's no harm in keeping them in your amp. Just realize that the degradation of tubes is so slow that you likely won't notice unless you compare it with a new set of tubes

I wouldn't say they "should" be replaced. If you're getting a tone you like from your amp, I wouldn't bother at all. Only if I blow a tube or it starts sounding "bad" would I change tubes. I know guys with 40+ year old amps with original tubes that still love how it sounds, which is all that matters.

Silverwulf said:
TheMagicEight said:
Yes, definitely. Tubes should be replaced every 6 months to a year depending on how much you play. But, at the same time, if you like the tone of old tubes, there's no harm in keeping them in your amp. Just realize that the degradation of tubes is so slow that you likely won't notice unless you compare it with a new set of tubes

I wouldn't say they "should" be replaced. If you're getting a tone you like from your amp, I wouldn't bother at all. Only if I blow a tube or it starts sounding "bad" would I change tubes. I know guys with 40+ year old amps with original tubes that still love how it sounds, which is all that matters.
I think I kinda said that in my post...?

Talk about "your mileage may vary"......

I've seen tubes last for years, and some only months. Depends on the tube and the amount of use including how loudly they are played.

But it's always good to have a spare set, just in case..... :D

TheMagicEight said:
I think I kinda said that in my post...?

Sorta... :p You gave two answers, first saying they should be replaced every 6 months to a year or so, then also said there's no harm in keeping old one if you like them. I was just disagreeing with the first statement and agreeing with the second.

Latest posts

Back