whats wrong with my triple rec???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theturkey

Reaction score
the last few time that i have played my triple rectifier i have noticed quite a bit of difference in the power on my amp. it seems like im not getting the gain that i should be getting out of it. the volume is fine but its totally lacking in the power department with the gain on all channels. just last week i changed all of the preamp tubes from, all stock 12 AX7's to, 3-12 AX7's and 2-SPAX7's. the SPAX7's are in the 2nd and 3rd position on the amp. any help would be great, i am leaving on tour in the next couple of days and it would be nice to get everything back in working order before i leave. :x :x :x

Someone feel free to fact check me on this. I'm not an amp tech, but I know what amp techs have told me. The SPAX7 is just a 12AX7 that tests with lower microphonic noise than other 12's. The give it some extra shielding and then market it for the V1 (input tube) slot. Supposedly, this reduces your background noise when you're not playing. I've personally never heard of someone inserting an SPAX7 in V2 or V3.

But get a second opinion I'm not an expert.

WillShred

The SPAX7's have just as much (if not more) gain as a regular 12AX7, so using them in V2 or 3 should pose no problem. FWIW I'm using one in V4 (fx loop) and it seems to cut back on noise when the loop is engaged. Tried one in V1, but it seemed a bit bright for my taste. I have a JJ ECC803 in V1 now and it sounds excellent.

Back