Whats up with this c+ (weird)6-12ax7's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Leggs

Reaction score
I just got this 60/100 c+ long chassis.Serial # 1237X. It passes the loop test but it has 6 12ax7"s. 4 across the front, 1 directly behind v1 (thats the odd one) and 1 between the transformer (105) and the power tubes (4).Can someone please explain what it is I have. I'm new to B.Board and have been doing alot of reading here so I don't ask questions that have been covered over and over, but I have yet to see anything on this.THANK YOU FOR ANY INFO !!!

Buster Leggs said:
I just got this 60/100 c+ long chassis.Serial # 1237X. It passes the loop test but it has 6 12ax7"s. 4 across the front, 1 directly behind v1 (thats the odd one) and 1 between the transformer (105) and the power tubes (4).Can someone please explain what it is I have. I'm new to B.Board and have been doing alot of reading here so I don't ask questions that have been covered over and over, but I have yet to see anything on this.THANK YOU FOR ANY INFO !!!

Take out the chassis and snap some circuit pictures. Its hard to say without looking at the circuit.

Take some pics of the underside of the chassis (in case there's some tell-tale markings), some pics of the back of the chassis (in case a previous owner installed something unusual), and some gut shots (so we can look at where the preamp tubes "flow" to).

Thanks for the responces. I just talked to Mike B.at boogie (great guy) He remembers this amp. An employee of boogie that used to own some music stores, but then worked for M/B early 80's had Mike put in another 12ax7 behind v1. the purpose was somthing about cathode follower stages ( means nothing to me). to give it more head room . I gotta say this amps a mad man. Also Mike says it could be a factory c+ but cannot say for 100% sure. # 12379. A request was made to add the extra 12ax7 he said he can't imagine adding that to a non pulsed C. It left the factory as a new amp with the extra tube.
Also it was at boogie longer than the average production amp. Mikes initialed it 2/84 but month 6 was written on the side of the chassis
It's got HR 15" 6 on side eventhough it's a long chassis. It' got 2/84 with mb's initials in light marker. I couldn't get them to photograph.

Interesting story about that extra/ added 6th pre-amp tube.

If I am remembering things correctly:
You have a 60/100 watt with reverb chassis that was originally in a Widebody (Big Brother) combo.
H=60/100 watt
R=Reverb
15" = EV15L / 15inch speaker (these 15" speakers only fit in the widebody combo shells)

That's a very clean looking amp!

HPIM0749_zps5263f9e0.jpg

Thanks for the reply. It' reassuring that you feel that my HR is a clean looking amp. I appreciate the wisdom from you guys. THANKS AGAIN

Back