What's The Difference Between Roadster & Roadking?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrake

Reaction score
i'm thinking of selling my dual rectifier and getting either a roadster or roadking? which one is closer to that rectifier sound and what's the difference between them?

Road King has more options. Switchable power section, 2 effects loops instead of 1. There might be more features, not too sure.

the biggest difference for sure is the progressive linkage option. on the roadster you dont have that (be able to choose which type and how many tubes will be on, separated for each channell).

Please check one out before you take the plunge. I returned a Roadster last weekend because I did not like the distortion channels as much as my DR or SR. Great , great cleans on the Roadster though.

RK is a whole new ball o'wax. Progressive linkage allows you to choose between el34s and or 6l6's----a very nice function. Neil Zaza used a RoadKing for maybe a year but he did not care for the sound when he rolled off the volume for quieter, dynamic passages.

Just dont trade up blindly and end up with buyer's remorse. The Roadster and RK are great amps but they have to be right to your ears......

I returned the Roadster but may pony up for a RK as my next purchase.

I had a Roadster with 2x12 cab, traded it for a RkII combo. The second channel on Brit with 2 EL 34s makes the RK II for me. From channel one with 2 or 4 6l6s to channel two with 2 EL 34s is two different amps,3 and 4 I'm still working on. :wink:

I've heard of several people unhappy at they're quest of "upgrading" to a Roadking/Roadster! It came down to the differences of aggressive nature between them, that "Recto" sound. :idea:

There are also 2 loops on the RK vs. 1 on the Roadster, as well as, speaker A/B switch to run two different cabs, or both.

I thought that the RK had an open back in the combo version and the Roadster is either a 2x12 closed back or a 1x12 ported back. Correct me, if that isn't so.

Oh ya, most people say another difference in that "Recto" sound would be: Not only are they less aggressive than a Solo head, but darker!

+1 on that....I had cash in hand (actually a credit card 8) ) and was all set to sell my ROV combo....and yet again the ROV combo bested my latest attempt at fulfilling my GAS attacks. The gain on the Rectoverb just seems a little more lush than on other amps.

stompboxfreak72 said:
Please check one out before you take the plunge. I returned a Roadster last weekend because I did not like the distortion channels as much as my DR or SR. Great , great cleans on the Roadster though.

Back