What's the best settings for a Studio Preamp / 295 Poweramp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japster

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently put a rack together consisting of a Studio Preamp and a 295 Stereo Simul Poweramp.

Firstly I was wondering what level to set the poweramp to ?
and the preamp outputs etc to get the best sound balance.

Also any settings for the Preamp channels appreciated :)

What foot switches are recommended also ?

I play rock and heavy rock

Cheers,

japster said:
Hi,

I've recently put a rack together consisting of a Studio Preamp and a 295 Stereo Simul Poweramp.

Firstly I was wondering what level to set the poweramp to ?
and the preamp outputs etc to get the best sound balance.

Cheers,

First welcome to the Studio Pre world!! I run my pre through 2:50 so......
having said that I don't run at very high volumes so my power amp knob is at about 9-10?? give or take
I tend to run my preamp volumes fairly hot and use my G-major to somewhat attenuate things
Settings:
Hmmm, frankly you'll need to tweak quite a bit but to get you started try something like:

Bass- 2 to 3 Mids- 1 - 2 Treble 7-9, eq in classic V with and adjust mids as necessary, lead fat and lead bright in.

Also try googling mesa studio pre then search images you'll get a ton to work from. Good luck have fun.

I find that putting the SP output level around 4 or 5 works best for most styles. The great thing about this preamp is all of the tones you can get by simply manipulating the volume, master volume, and guitar volume!

The manual as well as most everybody I've spoken with will tell you to keep the bass knob pretty low - I run mine at 2. The treble I keep at 6 & the mids at 4. I don't mess with these knobs much if at all. The lead drive I leave just short of 6. I leave the rhythm and lead bright switches engaged all of the time as well as the lead fat. Those are my
90% permanent" settings.

The rest of the stuff is always being messed with, however. 8) But not because I'm dissatisfied with the tone but because I'm having fun finding new tones, just exploring what this thing has to offer.

I got the same rig you got - SP & 295. Ain't it beautiful!? :lol:

Hey Guys,

thanks for your replies. Yeah the rig looks beautiful, weighs a ton though :D

As far as channel switching goes, do you just use a normal jack footswitch or switch by some kinda midi device ? Like Tiny amp gizmo or similar ?

Been wondering what effects units to go for, kinda narrowed it down to either the Line 6 M13, the TC Electronics G-System and the TC Electronics G-Major 2, all of which will allow use of the Pre-Amp's sound in the effects chain. The latter 2 also will control amp channel switching via midi.

Any other recommendations ?

Currently just using my old Marshall Guv'nor pedal to give me drive on the clean channel.

Any help appreciated, :)

Thanks

japster said:
Hey Guys,

thanks for your replies. Yeah the rig looks beautiful, weighs a ton though :D

As far as channel switching goes, do you just use a normal jack footswitch or switch by some kinda midi device ? Like Tiny amp gizmo or similar ?

Been wondering what effects units to go for, kinda narrowed it down to either the Line 6 M13, the TC Electronics G-System and the TC Electronics G-Major 2, all of which will allow use of the Pre-Amp's sound in the effects chain. The latter 2 also will control amp channel switching via midi.

Any other recommendations ?

Currently just using my old Marshall Guv'nor pedal to give me drive on the clean channel.

Any help appreciated, :)

Thanks

I use my G Major I to do my channel switching. I love the single stomp approach it gives me, except of course when I need the OD!! That requires one more stomp.

I had an opportunity to crank things up today in a very large room. I found that the best setting for the 295 was on 7. My Roadster cab could NOT handle things above 7. I ran the SP master volume at 8 and kept the outputs around 5. I lowered the bass to 1 on the SP and the mids to 3 with the treble at 3 as well. I played with the EQ throughout the day.

I was running a stomp box in front of everything for rhythm chunk - but I didn't use the box for leads. I still don't know what my favorite tones were - clean, clean w/ grit, rhythm chunk, or lead.

Crazy thing is I didn't run any effects and didn't even need to use the reverb as the room naturally took care of that.

I've had a Studio Pre for over a year now but have just got round to joining this forum so apologies for the resurrection of old threads!

Anyway...

japster said:

Me too, I've set up my pre for a very clean 'clean' sound and a very heavy 'heavy' sound (see below):

japster said:

My settings are:

Volume: 8
Master: 6
Treble: 8
Bass: 3
Mid: 3
Reverb: whatever
Lead drive : 10
Lead Master: 1 3/4

GEQ is set to 'Auto' and has the following settings

80Hz: on centre line
240Hz: just above centre line
750Hz: fully scooped out
2200Hz: under top line
6600Hz: halfway between centre and top lines.

Rhythm bright is OFF, Lad fat is ON and Lead bright is OFF.

japster said:

I use a Moen GEC-9. It has 6 loops hardwired in series and three independent ones that can be used for channel switching. The Studio Pre's channel switching socket is the 'other way round' from most, the GEC-9 can handle both, it's a great piece of kit!

Hi, r_cod_81, how did you get mesa channel switching working with the moen gec9? I can't do that, maybe problem with cables on something?

I use loop 9 to do the channel switching with a guitar lead plugged into the 'Normally Closed' ( I think) socket. Nothing else is attanched to loop 9. This ensures that when the loop is selected to be 'on', the lead channel of the preamp is selected. If the opposite proves to be true then swap the lead to 'Normally Open'.

Have fun,

Richard

Latest posts

Back