what would you do??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonge

Reaction score
if you were in my shoes and you had a C+ that you love but you do not want to gig with it. I am kinda over the mark IV right now, seeing as I can turn the C+ on whenever, so I don't really want to get another mark series at this time. I still want a bit of versetility (which is a given with all mesa stuff now-a-days) a lot of chunk. And I was maybe thinking of getting a Recto; ya know something easy to dial in everytime, and something reliable and not too much money. So I figure the Recto is the way to go for me. I know this is probably the wrong spot to post this, but since I have been on this side of the board for so long..I tend to respect a lot of people's opinions here. So if you were me, which recto would you go with? and why? Keep in mind..I don't want a RoadKingSter. I have played them before...too many knobs and not enough tones. Single, Dual, Trippel. also what are the differences in the voicings, depending on the era? Thank you all in advanced!!

To me, the single dual and triple are all in the ball park as far as getting the "Recto" sound, I considered the single, but liked the idea of having three channels even though I stay on channel 2 98.8825% of the time. The main diff was being able to switch out the effects loop on the foot switch (Went through a vintage effects binge.) When it's all said and done I should of stuck with the single, but I think it's a mistake I can live with. Good Luck!

I would gig with a C+...why not? The only thing I'd be scared of at a gig is some idiot stealing it. In which case the amp comes out of the car, straight to the stage, and back again. You got to enjoy your amp!

Don't be fooled into thinking a recto is plug and play. Far from it. They are a b**ch to get a great tone out of, just like any other Mesa. The voicing is very different from the C+ and IV. For starters, don't even think about getting a creamy lead tone or Fender cleans. The tone on the Road King and Roadster are pretty much the Recto sound...except they have better cleans and a better brit sound. All the rectos sound similar from model to model. There are only slight differences between them, but nothing too major. The only major differences are found between getting a 2ch or 3ch. But it's still a Recto sound either way.

As for the eras, typically the older the better. Anything made before 1993 or '94 is gold. 1992 was their best year. The 3ch models came out around 2000. Unless you want versatility, I would personally stay away from those.

I gig with a '68 Plexi and basketweave cab and use my MkIIC with a Theile when I play at my sisters church on Sundays, and often I use my '56 Les Paul Custom at either place so I I'd probably **** can the idea of a recto and gig with the MKIIC, but that's just me.

I also have a 44 magnum in the truck though... :evil:

+1 on the gig with the c+. It's a shame that such desirable amps sit in people's collections and bedrooms when they should be out there sharing tone with the world. But I guess some should be kept perfect for recording...

trust me it has had its fair share of gigging. It is just time for something new. I have owned rectos before, and I found that I think the Tremoverb is something I want back. I have had all the marks except for the Original mark I. I mainly just don't want the thing getting all full of smoke and dirt and bullshit **** like it did last year. I mean, the amp may one day have to put my kids through college (even though they ain't gunna be goin' if it cum down to gittin' rid of dis sumabitch) LOL. No but seriously, I just would like to continue getting the use out of it at home. I still plug it into a 4x12 at home!! I really like markIVs, but my guitar player has 2 of them and if I want to get my fill - really I will just plug into his. That is why I think I am going to the darkside. Marks really are only for a Jedi.

The only reason I haven't sold my Mark IV yet is because I use it for gigs instead of my C+ as it's 90% there live.

The only amp I feel will sub for the C+ is a III.

Though I think after your last statement you are looking for something else to play.

A Rec might be cool or a Lone Star Classic plus a Ace might tweak your Marshall side.

Nomad said:
The only amp I feel will sub for the C+ is a III.

Though I think after your last statement you are looking for something else to play.

A Rec might be cool or a Lone Star Classic plus a Ace might tweak your Marshall side.

Actually, I want to eventually get a Stilletto Ace. I really love the look and sound. Considering the first amp I ever owned was a 50watt marshall that explains it. I am glad boogie finally decided to go with an all EL34 amp. But mind mind is set on a Tremoverb. The only thing I recall not liking about it was the FX Loop. C+s are much too precious to use night after night, beer for beer, loading gear. I don'at want another mark, I would rather have a different amp, instead of searching for something to match the C+..because you can't. At the end of the day and when it is all said and done, a C+ is the real deal.

Stonge said:
Actually, I want to eventually get a Stilletto Ace. I really love the look and sound. Considering the first amp I ever owned was a 50watt marshall that explains it. I am glad boogie finally decided to go with an all EL34 amp. But mind mind is set on a Tremoverb. The only thing I recall not liking about it was the FX Loop. C+s are much too precious to use night after night, beer for beer, loading gear. I don'at want another mark, I would rather have a different amp, instead of searching for something to match the C+..because you can't. At the end of the day and when it is all said and done, a C+ is the real deal.

If you want a Stiletto Ace to gig with, get a head version. The single V30 in the 1x12 combo does not have enough *** to keep up with this amp when cranked. The 2x12 combo, which has enough speaker capacity, is 80 lbs of hernia hell. Or get a Deuce and switch it down to 50 watt mode. You'll go broke buying tubes for the Trident. :lol:

Joey, I think the V30 works better in the Ace 1x12 than it does in a Rectoverb.

Are you only looking at boogies, Stonge?

yeah and it has to definately be a head!! LOL. to match the 580w cab. 2 90s and 2 EVs.

Stonge said:
yeah and it has to definately be a head!! LOL. to match the 580w cab. 2 90s and 2 EVs.

It's still just a 360 watt cabinet FWIW, you only add up the amount of the lowest rated speakers in the cab. If you had 2 EV's and 2 Greenbacks, it's still just a 100 watt rated cab.

Latest posts

Back