What would you buy with $1200?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

So I've got some money. Long story short is that I sold a bunch of gear I wasn't really using to pay for something I ended up not needing.

I now pose the question: if you had about $1200 to spend on equipment, guitars, etc., what might you get?

Ha. Kidding. But personally, I'd buy a 20/20 power amp and deep mod it, then I'd buy an ART 2 channel 15 band rackmount graphic EQ. Have fun.

A Used PRS Custom 22 or Custom 24

Not quite enough cash for a Mark V, maybe a used VHT Sig X?

Express 5:50
Engl of some sort?

Lots of choices!

I was definitely going to say an Express (sweet sweet amps). I don't know. Any cabs you need? Maybe an Avatar or a Lopo 4x12 for about $750 with some bucks to spare. Maybe a used Mark series amp. P.S. Sorry for the awkward comment. I have a terrible lack of foresight...

EtherealWidow said:
I was definitely going to say an Express (sweet sweet amps). I don't know. Any cabs you need? Maybe an Avatar or a Lopo 4x12 for about $750 with some bucks to spare. Maybe a used Mark series amp. P.S. Sorry for the awkward comment. I have a terrible lack of foresight...
Haha, no problem! I think I knew what you meant -

Some great ideas; I've got a bunch of cabs so I'm set there. I love the idea of a Mark IV, but I'm also in the market for a 7 string - one that can do classic rock to metal and be able to solo with ease. Anyone play on an Ibanez Universe? I've heard good things, but that basswood body worries me a little; I'd wonder if something mahogany with a maple top might be better, since it's thicker, but I can't seem to find one that doesn't come with EMGs....

I dont recommend any 7 string with a floating trem.... although the Universe is obviously super cool!

I have an Ibanez Apex 2. It does the job. I've had other 7's (Schecters, Japanese RG's) and so far this is my fav.

TimeSignature said:
I dont recommend any 7 string with a floating trem.... although the Universe is obviously super cool!

I have an Ibanez Apex 2. It does the job. I've had other 7's (Schecters, Japanese RG's) and so far this is my fav.
How's the neck? It would definitely be a pain in the *** to tune the Universe, but I don't care. I'd buy it for tone and playability. I'm guessing I'd need to change the pickups for it to play metal with any sort of competence, but it would be worth it if the body wood doesn't hold it back. I'm guessing it won't; Ibanez probably wouldn't use basswood on a $2k guitar if they didn't think it was best.

Thanks for the responses!

Honestly, I've owned 2 UV's over the years (the black one with the mirrored pickguard and the multi-color swirl)... something about the combination of the Blaze pickups in a basswood body is magical... smoother and more versatile than I ever would've expected. Basswood's not a bad wood when paired with the right pickups.

That said, I sold my UV's and now have an EBMM JP7 (which you could probably score one of for around $1200)... to me, they "feel" more vintage than the UV's, perhaps because of the EBMM trem vs. the double-locking Floyd.

--B

How about a Carvin 7 string? You can go to their website and do a custom build off their base model which is like 800 bucks or around that range.

For $1200...I would buy an ounce of Gold or maybe another Colt 1911 45ACP.

Gearwise, I would probably pick up either a Grendel Dead Room or Rivera Silent Sister for stereo home recording with my 2:90.

Here's what I'm doing: I bought with the extra money a Rev. F Recto, and couldn't be happier! I then tried out a Mark V, and loved it. So now, I'm going to unload my JCM800 and Triple Recto and get the Mark!

I just hope my Triple sells... I've got it on eBay for $900; can't believe how much prices have dropped on them since I got it a couple of years ago...

Haha, I'd get a marshall head or maybe a Fender Strat or both, if we are talking about $1,200 american funds. I really would like the JCM 2000 TSL 100. I could get it modded to run at fifty watts (because high powered marshalls sound like balls unless they are cranked) and I'd run that with my rectocab for huge gigs! I'd maybe consider a used PRS as well, but I have two humbucking guitars already. In a perfect world, I'd have a wall of guitars with tonnes of pickup options for different styles. After all, guitars and amps are kind of like clothes for musicians and they really aren't expensive at ALL in comparison with symphonic instruments.

Back