What would the ULTIMATE Holy Grail Mesa Mk III be ......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Reaction score
.....if you could custom build one right now ? :?:

Simul class? or not?

red stripe - green stripe - purple - none ? :?

EQ or no EQ?

Reverb?

Head or Combo?

Speaker?

:twisted:

The Dr wasn't stating the III was the grail he was asking what version of the III was the grail. Two different questions. Actually more needs to be asked of the good Dr. before we can try and answer the question. Let's assume it must have Simul, EQ, EV 200 Watt speaker and Reverb. Now the question of which stripe remains and since they all have different characteristics you should try and figure out what style you like best then choose. I have the blue and love it. Ronnie Wood has (or had) the same stripe amp and I love that sound so I am biased in that direction. From what i've been told the blue has a very nice R2 crunch tone in comparison to other stripes. This does NOT mean it is better just different. I think all the stripes probably sound great in the right hands. Good luck if you are trying to pick one up. They are great amps.

Green/simlu/Eq/rev/imbuya/wicker cane/ r2 mod/rev mod/ new set of 415's in a short head ontop of 2 matching 4x12 with EVM 200 speakers..

I am interested in this but would pose the question a little differently. Which stripe has the smoothest lead and which has the most agressive lead. Also which stripe has the best R1 assuming one is going after a Fender chimey type of clean sound. Any help appreciated. Hope this isn't covering too much old territory.

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
.....if you could custom build one right now ? :?:

Simul class? or not?

red stripe - green stripe - purple - none ? :?

EQ or no EQ?

Reverb?

Head or Combo?

Speaker?

:twisted:

Mine: Blue stripe combo, Simul, EV, EQ, Reverb, NOS Mullards in the pre-amp, ORIGINAL 415s and 416s in the power section (use your standby switch!) Sadly, no wood or wicker, but then I probably wouldn't have gigged it for 18 years.

Well I was trying to get a feel if Simul class was popular over the 60/100 for one thing. Second was the color of stripe. EQ seems to be a no brainer as well as reverb.

I just bought a red stripe Simul Class and am trying to learn more about these amps ..... what features are the most desirable. I come from a Classic rock non master kind of back ground, so don't know if the red stripe is the ticket or not. I do love the clean and R2 !!! good stuff :twisted: I've only tweeked the manual's suggested settings so far.

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
Well I was trying to get a feel if Simul class was popular over the 60/100 for one thing. Second was the color of stripe. EQ seems to be a no brainer as well as reverb.

I just bought a red stripe Simul Class and am trying to learn more about these amps ..... what features are the most desirable. I come from a Classic rock non master kind of back ground, so don't know if the red stripe is the ticket or not. I do love the clean and R2 !!! good stuff :twisted: I've only tweeked the manual's suggested settings so far.

Seems like the stripe thing would be difficult to compare unless one owned all of them. Everybody likes THEIR personal stripe the BEST! LOL
Hey, HAS anybody owned/played all of them?

phyrexia said:
well that's easy.

blue/simul/reverb/eq/short head
imbuya/wicker

WOW!...were you reading my mind? Please put away that grail-tone crystal ball! haha

blue/simul/reverb/eq/short head
imbuya/wicker...plus, intl. trans, elusive Mike B. R2 gain-boost mod and
matching imbuya/wicker cab with original EV200-watter
(IIC+ models hide in shame!) ;)
GuitarsandAmps.jpg

I am happy with my amp though. :) I wish I had bought a head shell and two thieles instead of a combo shell and a thiele though. One of the preamp tubes has 2 or 3 mm clearance from the speaker frame.

Shep said:
Green/simlu/Eq/rev/imbuya/wicker cane/ r2 mod/rev mod/ new set of 415's in a short head ontop of 2 matching 4x12 with EVM 200 speakers..

Shep wins though just for thinking ahead. :twisted:

Ah, But a head can be so versatile by mixing and matching different cabs and speaker combinations.

I've got a Blue stripe med. Head with simul / EQ / Reverb and 6 cabinet options to run it with. Each with different speakers or speaker combinations.

I've played different stripes but this is the only one I've owned. I make no claims to it being better or worse than other stripes. They all are great in their own way.

For example, I own the blue because I think it's high gain channel is equal to the red stripe and prefer it's Marshally R2 channel over all the others version's R2. Actually, my blue sounds more Marshally on it's R2 channel than my Marshall does. On the other hand I think the clean Fender R1 channel on the green or purple is better than the blue. I've never played the black / no stripe but imagine it's got some big pluses of it's own.

Honestly, I don't think any of the stripes can lay claim to having the best of all three channels. Thus, No grail.

But, before Mark IV owners start saying you should have bought a Mark IV I would like to add that I think the Mark III red or blue stripe comes closer to the grail high gain tone of the Mark IIC+ than the Mark IV does.

It's just my opinion. I'm happy. :D

For me it would be a Coliseum head with EQ. Don't really care which stripe (I've only played the blue stripe, which rocks).

Latest posts

Back