What Tubes for 3ch Dual Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
Curious what others have found they like for tube choice in 3ch Dual Recs?
Preamp and power amp.
I just got one and it has all JJs in it. Might want to swap some things out, but have no idea where to start.

The Mesa Tubes in this head always seemed like the best. I have been a sucker for Groove Tube 6L6's in the 2 Dual Rec's I've owned so this one got em too.
I tried a high gain trio set of JJ 12ax7's from Dougs Tubes,but this head has so much gain, I put the Boogies back in.
I found a pair of matched new old stock USA groove tube 5U4G's that absolutly lit up the feel,but thats a prefferance thing (plus they cost $100 for the 2)
Give your post some time here. Theres alot of guys using different sets and they'll have good input for you .

For preamp and power amp, I've always considered the stock mesa ones to be good, but how about rectifier? I haven't tried anything else....I hear the JJ's are much tighter.....true? Anything else to try?

Here's what I've used in my Mesa Dual Rec:

Mesa Preamp (good overall)
JJ Preamp (very hot/gainy, would be too harsh with all JJ's in my mind)
Mesa 6L6 (Smooth, bassy (almost too much)
JJ 6L6 ( Tighter, even smooth high gain distortion)
Mesa EL34 (Weak, too much mid/treble)
JJ EL34L (Perfect compromise for EL34 crunch and tight low end)
JJ EL84 (with converter, otherwise it's a different pinout)
Mesa 5U4B Rectifiers (Mushy, inarticulate in my mind)
JJ GZ34 S Rectifiers (Tight, perfect sag)

The more I toyed with the preamp, the more I realized I like the JJ in V1 and the stock Mesa preamp tubes in the other 4. I prefered the JJ EL34L tube the most with the Dual Rec but it didn't have the thunderous low end of the Mesa 6L6 and the JJ 6L6 were.. so I alternate back and forth. The GZ34 is an awesome rectifier unfortunately I had a bad one and I had to switch back to the Mesas. I plan on putting the JJ's back at some point permanently.

There are lots of options in the tube realm, research your companies a little bit and find out what each tube offers, etc. Here are some resources:

http://www.dougstubes.com/
http://www.eurotubes.com

Also doesn't hurt to search for people who are running the set up you are going for.. a lot of times there are comments that might either sway you away from a choice or interest you more, etc... keep in mind tone is very subjective so look for the middle of the road responses.

I just JJ6L6 and ECC83s and play metal.

For awhile I was using a JJ integrated quad set 2x6L6 2xE34L. That was really nice for a hard rock sound, actually anything really.

I have a 2 channel dual rec and I use a quad of JJ KT77's, JJ 5 ECC 83 S's in the pre one being balanced for the phase inverter in the V5 position and the JJ GZ34's for rectifier tubes. I run it in EL34 mode and tube rectifier mode. I'm with platypus about the GZ34's. They tighten up the sag perfectly!

I have a dual and when i got it it came with brand new stock mesa rectifiers. I have been trying to tighten my sound up more and more emgs, eq,etc. I am almost there do u guys think the jj GZ34 (5AR4) would be worth it. They are only $14.00 on eurotubes.

dual rec said:
I have a dual and when i got it it came with brand new stock mesa rectifiers. I have been trying to tighten my sound up more and more emgs, eq,etc. I am almost there do u guys think the jj GZ34 (5AR4) would be worth it. They are only $14.00 on eurotubes.

Put it this way.. with the JJ rectifiers I turned my underwound passive covered humbucker into a tight crunch machine. Combine that with EMG's and you've got some dangerous potential :D

I use my EMG707's with them too and it sounds ridiculously huge/tight

Platypus said:
dual rec said:

Put it this way.. with the JJ rectifiers I turned my underwound passive covered humbucker into a tight crunch machine. Combine that with EMG's and you've got some dangerous potential :D

I use my EMG707's with them too and it sounds ridiculously huge/tight
Awesome! sounds like what ive been lookin for. Ive been wanting to change tubes just to see if i liked somethin better and in order to change power tubes I have to take my amp to nashville and that is 2 hrs away. Sounds like im goin to spend about 35 bucks. :D

Here's what i have in my Dual. Granted, it's a 2-channel, but this should work fine in a 3-channel as well.

Preamp tubes:
V1: RFT ECC83
V2: Chinese 12AX7
V3: Chinese 12AX7
V4: Chinese 12AX7
V5: RCA 12AT7 (adds a bit more clarity)

Power tubes: JJ E34L
Rectifier tubes: Philips Miniwatt GZ34

The Chinese 12AX7s sound good in the V1 position too, but they're kind of noisy.

Are the RFT ECC83s similar to Telefunken? I have a few Telefunkens and was thinkin about throwing one in V1 and then buying a few 9th Gen Chinese for V2 through V4 and a balanced 9th Gen for V5.
I may have an RCA 12AT7 laying around that I can try in V5 too.

+1 on the GZ34/5AR4 rectifiers...a HUGE improvement in how the amp feels

JJ 6L6, the SED 6L6's are nice too
I am constantly toying with the preamp, and keep returning to the JJ ECC83S (hi-gains). I would like to try the new Tung-Sol 12AX7 as well.

Hey Platypus,

Since you and I seem to have pretty much the same taste in tone for our DR's 8)

Specifically, what is your favorite/current combination of tubes in your DR. I'm getting ready to retube and want to go with JJ EL-34Ls and 84's, but I'm not quite sure whether I want to try JJ's in the preamp. I like the sound I've got with the stock Mesa's, but I don't know if/how much of an improvement the JJs would be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does your setup look like this?
V1: JJ
V2-V5: Mesa
Power: EL-34L and EL-84
Rectifier: GZ34

I use the mesa stock 6l6s

my amp came with them, and I love the tone.

Basically, I'm too scared to try something new b/c I'm scared I won't like it as much. I'm like that with everything in life. When I go out to eat at a restaurant, I'll usually always order the same thing b/c I'm scared to be disappointed

LOL! :lol:

In my case, I've always liked the sound of 34's over 6L6's. My younger brother gave me the EL-34's and the Yellowjackets as a Christmas gift. What I ended up with was a whole new amp that just flat blows me away.

Latest posts

Back