What tool is used to clean the tube socket contacts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sludgenutz

Reaction score
I have seen the recent post about cleaning the pots/and tube sockets with Caig Deoxit products (great stuff, I have used Caig's older line of product). I need to order some Caig for home use.

My actual question has more to do with the tools (disposable or otherwise) to get into the tube sockets...without leaving strands of cotton or other debris. I would rather not use a purely aerosol product that could spray all over for this application.

Thanks in advance!

As for tools i don't have a clue. I have heard about just using the prongs on your tubes, by putting them in and out a few times to clean em up.

An old tube is indeed a good tool for the job. Spray an electrical cleaner (deoxit is great, but radioshack stuff would suffice) on the pins of the old tube, dabbing off most of the excess. Take this tube, and gently work it in and out of the tube socket a few times. Wipe any junk that comes out off of the pins, and repeat process for all your power and preamp tube sockets. Wipe up any drips, then wait for like ten to fifteen minutes to let the stuff dry. Now is also a good time to check for loose pin holders, and push them closer together; I like to use something non conductive since I know very little about electricity and want to make **** sure I don't get a zap! Throw some new tubes in, fire her up and let her rip!!

Power tools in an amp sounds scary. I would go with the old tube route and a product like Deoxit. Then, to tighten the sockets I would use a non-conductive (plastic is good) tool such as a small screwdriver or similar shaped instrument. Just be sure that it whatever you stick in the socket itself is non-conductive. Small adjustments are the key to tightening the socket. If you close it too much you will not be able to get the tube back in and will risk damaging the socket when you try to get the tube in. Also, it is not a good idea to adjust them too often or you will cause metal fatigue and the socket's contacts will get weak and break.

Thanks for the responses, guys! I think I will remove the chassis from the cab, clean it with the sockets with the tube prongs, and flush the area sparingly with Deoxit, and some absorbent cotton cloth around the area to keep it the chemicals from spraying/migrating all over.

Be careful when removing the amp from the cabinet. First either remove, or be mindful of the tubes. Inverting the whole head during the process helps too, use a stool or something to set it on so you can still acess the four main screws to remove them. Second, once the amp slides out of the cab the top will be open exposing the inner workings of the amp. Do not let your fingers pop in there by accident when trying to manipulate the amp. Touching a capacitor could kill you deader than dead in .02 secs flat, NO JOKE! As long as you are mindful of these things, you will have no problems at all.

JamesD said:
As for tools i don't have a clue. I have heard about just using the prongs on your tubes, by putting them in and out a few times to clean em up.

That's all you need to do. Does the trick every time!

Mike K
KCA NOS Tubes
www.kcanostubes.com
World's Largest Selection of Guitar Amp Tubes.

Back