What speaker is similar to v30 with higher power rating?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliebert

Reaction score
What speaker would you suggest that has similar tone to a v30, but can handle 85 watts? I have a mark iva combo with a C90 in it right now, and the tone isn't quite what I want- the palm mutes are too loose and open, and the sound is kind of flubby. I find that I need to turn the treble and presence up to get the gain tone i want, but then bass is lacking, and dialing up the bass on the amp adds to the 'flub'.

I loved the sound of my 212 recto cab with v30s but I don't want to carry it around anymore. On a suggestion on this board, I've ordered a 1x12 recto with v30, but I'd like to try putting something into the 1x12 closed back with similar tone to the v30 with enough power handling that I can run it in full power/pentode/simul-class without worry. ( i don't want to run the combo speaker + extension speaker because I'd like to switch to a head + single 1x12 cab rig.) What would you guys suggest?

You can avoid "flub" by using the GEQ to bring in more bass, instead of the bass knob. Adding excessive bass (above 3) in the pre-amp on any Boogie adds "flub" to high-gain sounds.
The Graphic is after the pre-amp.
If you're going to run the MkIV at 85 watts, you need a speaker that handles about double 85 watts. Just a rule-of-thumb.
Anybody out there have experience with the high-power Eminence Red Coats?

you might try an EV.

aliebert said:
What speaker would you suggest that has similar tone to a v30, but can handle 85 watts? I have a mark iva combo with a C90 in it right now, and the tone isn't quite what I want- the palm mutes are too loose and open, and the sound is kind of flubby. I find that I need to turn the treble and presence up to get the gain tone i want, but then bass is lacking, and dialing up the bass on the amp adds to the 'flub'.

I loved the sound of my 212 recto cab with v30s but I don't want to carry it around anymore. On a suggestion on this board, I've ordered a 1x12 recto with v30, but I'd like to try putting something into the 1x12 closed back with similar tone to the v30 with enough power handling that I can run it in full power/pentode/simul-class without worry. ( i don't want to run the combo speaker + extension speaker because I'd like to switch to a head + single 1x12 cab rig.) What would you guys suggest?

Thanks for the tips guys! The EV is a little too clean and wide sounding for me- great for cleans though. While we're on this topic, I thought I'd share this useful info from the Mark IV Manual about settings and wattage:

Class A + Triode: 30 Watts
Class A + Pentode: 50 Watts
Simul-class + Triode: 70 Watts
Simul-class + Pentode: 85 Watts

What it does not mention however, is what effect if any, using 'tweed' instead of 'full' power has on wattage. Does anyone know?

quiet strangenote!

tweed cuts the voltage coming into the amp by ~20%. From about 120v to about 95v. it is a separate tap on the transformer.

so I'm sure the wattage changes, but in what way?

Latest posts

Back