What should I Do? Wrong Tube in sale

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strat N My Stuff

Reaction score
Looking for advice. I bought what was to have been 4 60's vintage Raytheon 12ax7's, black plate which were listed as testing 58-50-40-58 w/ 32 being Good. The Mfg./Date code was listed as 280-60, though Balwin was printed on the tube itself.

I checked and 280 was Raytheon's mfg code.

I received three Baldwin 12ax7's. All of them very dirty. Numbers varied as follows. One with P28060-45C (horizontally) and 25BO (vertically); P28060-37C and 9BO; 28060-45C and 10BO. These very well may be 12AX7 A's as there is a faint "A" under the 12AX7.

Along with a note that says "when packing I noticed one of the 12AX7's was 12AU... my mistake. I include some extras to make up for it. Hope that works for you, Thanks".

Three 12AU7's that I have no need for. Two Baldwins with green writing (the others have yellow) that are 12AX7 grey plate. Made in USA with AKF under that. Numbers on both are 30 over 15 over 22, which I guess could be read as 312, next to o52???? That would make them Sylvania's. I don't need/want grey plate Sylvania's.

I don't see how the listing can state that they were tested and that not reveal he had a 12AU7 since it is such a lower gain factor than the 12AX7. Maybe I am unclear on what that actually means, but I am convinced I don't need any of them.

Am I wrong to say lets cancel the deal, refund my money, I'll return the tubes. I am inclined to give negative feedback, but I'd rather undo the deal. That leaves other's exposed to the same thing though. Seems that a 100% feedback should have sent a message before sending anything! Let me know what you think, Thanks. Jeff

Try to get refund. if not, file Paypal claim, if not, leave negative feedback. In whatever order you feel comfortable.

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards refund myself. I hate leaving someone with a 100% feedback after the feeling this gives. Seems it is a planned "mistake". Jeff

Jeff -

It sounds to me as if the seller made a mistake, and is trying to make amends for it. From the seller's point of view, he may feel his attempts were quite generous. Since you don't feel you'd use the 12AU7, you are left with three Raytheon and two Sylvania 12AX7(A) - not a bad deal, in my opinion.

Personally, I would roll with it, and move on to another seller next time. I would also refrain from leaving negative feedback, as it seems the attempt to please was genuine. But you have to weigh this out in your own mind. If it does not sit well with you, you should arrange to return all the tubes for refund. Or perhaps just the tubes you don't want, keeping the three Raytheon 12AX7A, and get a small partial refund.

No matter what you decide, communicate directly, and respectfully with the seller. Try to be as simple and factual as possible, without projecting any interpretations about the seller's intent. I'm sure you'll reach a mutually agreeable solution in this manner.

Best of luck!

- Thom

Good advice is why I posted here. I'll admit I'm quick to loose my temper. To my credit, I've learned not to respond with my first instinct, which is typically one of flames on full blast. Perhaps it is my insecurity in this area that makes me feel as if I am being taken advantage of. I see the "effort to make it right" as one which should have been discussed prior to it being made. He could have sent the three tubes and agreed upon a partial refund, still in possession of the tubes I am not going to give any credit for.

I'll hold my temper in check for the time being, as the feel I get from the Board is I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks, Jeff

Strat N My Stuff said:
Perhaps it is my insecurity in this area that makes me feel as if I am being taken advantage of.
Jeff - It takes a lot of courage to look at oneself, and come up with an idea like this. I think you nailed human nature with that statement, as it can be applied to nearly every situation where rage arises.

Best Regards,

- Thom

I agree with you that the "effort to make it right" should have occurred before shipping, and that he should have contacted you as soon as he discovered his error to find out what works for you rather than make a unilateral decision.

It's obvious he did not want to delay shipping, whether that was for your concerns or his own, that's unknown.

Since he writes, "Hope that works for you, Thanks," just let him know, "Sorry, it doesn't work for me. This is what would work for me___________."

goodwill559 said:
I agree with you that the "effort to make it right" should have occurred before shipping, and that he should have contacted you as soon as he discovered his error to find out what works for you rather than make a unilateral decision.

It's obvious he did not want to delay shipping, whether that was for your concerns or his own, that's unknown.

Since he writes, "Hope that works for you, Thanks," just let him know, "Sorry, it doesn't work for me. This is what would work for me___________."

+1

After reading this, I can only say one thing:

Buy tubes directly from Mesa. It's worth the extra cost to ensure you're getting the right tubes.

audiofreud said:
After reading this, I can only say one thing:

Buy tubes directly from Mesa. It's worth the extra cost to ensure you're getting the right tubes.
I understand your sentiment, but I strongly disagree. Mesa's service is top notch, but their tubes are, well... not so great :roll:

- T

+1 for the Wolf.

There are far better sounding tubes than the ones Mesa currently labels available. I get mine from eBay. The scores of preamp, rectifier, and power tubes I have collected from many different makers from up to decades old production say so.

Mesa has been doing the very best that they can to serve their customers by procuring and grading tubes for a loooong time, better than nearly all other amp makers. Some of their tubes from the very earliest days would now be considered old stock tubes, those tubes that came in their first amps are not the same as what they are getting nowadays. Better tone, build quality, and longevity from the old stuff.

Audiofreud, the vast majority of my 300+ eBay tube purchase transactions have been very good values. Less than 10% have been unsatisfactory. That is certainly better than the quality of tubes coming out of the E.I. factory nowadays, for instance.

Peace. 8)

To my surprise, I mailed him a note and no response at all. I'm not terrible dissatisfied with the three tubes, though they aren't special in any way. I suppose I quickly became a tube snob? I'm inclined to contact paypal and see what they can do on a percentage refund? If I can't get anywhere I'll leave bad feedback on the failure to even reply, as well as the poor handling of the issue. I appreciate the advice given. I merely advised that the substitute tubes were of no value to me, and would he consider 25% refund.

BTW, what can I use the 12au7's for anyway?

Give him a few more days, if he does not follow through then just let it go. Not enough worth the trouble. Lots of great tube dealers on eBay. After a while you will start to find the better ones.

But for right now go ahead and get really pissed off and try to find something to smash and break into a jillion pieces OR... pick up that axe and play some music with some real feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeling!

Keep the faith.

I came across this link from the TubeStore about the 12AU7.

http://thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html

It appears that the seller in my transaction was a noble and upright person. My paypal was refunded the total amount, including shipping. I'll be sending the tubes back. I'll be out of pocket a few dollars, but my feeling as to the transaction is much better. For whatever it is worth, Thanks to all who were the voice of reason. Jeff

Latest posts

Back