what pedal to use for leads?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakewalkr7

Reaction score
I just got the 2 channel dual rect the other day. I absolutely love it, but to get the rhythm I like, I don't have a ton of gain. However, then I don't have enough gain for solos. I've played with od pedals before with my jsx and some other heads and none that I've tried have really sounded too good as a lead boost. I'm used to the 3rd channel on the jsx for my lead, so I'd like to find some type of pedal to throw in front of the mesa to get something close. But I don't have a bunch of money to just try out different pedals. Is there a pedal that most people use with this head for a lead boost? Thanks.

With my old DC 2 I loved a compresser. Had the level up a little higher than 12 o clock. Try one from Guitar Center, some are very cheap. If no good, take it back.

The compresser didn't change the sound much, but I set it to increase volume and it helped alot with sustain.

Doesn't your amp have a Lead or Solo mode?

not the 2 channel. just clean (which I can make a little gritty, but not enough for rhythms) and rhythm.

You may want to try the Boss GE-7 EQ Pedal. You can set it to boost your mid frequencies and overall level so that your leads cut through.

Try the compresser, you can boost all or most of the levels with the eq, and get a volume boost, but it won't do much for sustain.

kofasetic said:
You may want to try the Boss GE-7 EQ Pedal. You can set it to boost your mid frequencies and overall level so that your leads cut through.

Exactly what I was gonna say!

I've got a Boss EQ-20 that I use to boost the mids & then smack on a M/
B Bottle Rocket for O/D.

Works like a charm!!!! :D

Try this: dial in the lead sound you want for solos and then turn your guitar down a bit for rhythm. Don't worry about numbers--let your ears find the sweet spot. :idea: Volume knobs don't just go to ten--they also go to 9, 8, 7, etc. :wink:

mullet_king said:
Try this: dial in the lead sound you want for solos and then turn your guitar down a bit for rhythm. Don't worry about numbers--let your ears find the sweet spot. :idea: Volume knobs don't just go to ten--they also go to 9, 8, 7, etc. :wink:

Mine goes to eleven :lol: :lol:

ESPguitar said:
mullet_king said:

Mine goes to eleven :lol: :lol:

thats one better than 10 isnt it :p

The Digitech Bad Monkey was recommended on the HC boards so I tried that out and I must say I'm pretty impressed for a $40 pedal. It doesn't add the harsh grit to the sound that my DS-1 did. It adds just enough extra distortion so I can pull off the legato runs without having to really bang on the strings. I just wish it boosted the output a couple of dbs. Oh well. I may end up springing for the voodoo sparkle drive pedal. That thing sounded sweet... but a little too much $$$ for me right now.

I use a Maxon OD-9 with my Nomad. It does add a mid hump, which is nice for solos. Especially since I do have a somewhat scooped rhythm tone on ch.2.

I also have a Boss SD-1, but I prefer the Maxon unit as it is a little smoother sounding and has less noise. Also, the Maxon is true bypass and I don't believe the Boss is.

Sorry I bothered to respond. I mistakenly thought serious suggestions from players who actually take their gear out of the house might be appreciated.

rock on.

mullet_king said:
Sorry I bothered to respond. I mistakenly thought serious suggestions from players who actually take their gear out of the house might be appreciated.

rock on.

awwwww, you poor baby.
Cant take a Spinal Tap joke, or do you dare to call yourself a guitarist without having seen the movie?
:?

No Soul is right about the Spinal Tap movie, but......that being said, Mullet nailed it on the head about the volume knob on the guitar. I set my ROV on stun (gain at 2:00AM (pm is too harsh lol)) and with either of my guitars, the volume knobs clear up the gain for rhythm work. Heck, with my Ibanez AR2000, with the neck on 2 and the bridge on 10, the middle position sounds downright jazz-ey, not that I'd play any actual jazz mind you :)

no soul said:
mullet_king said:

rock on.

awwwww, you poor baby.
Cant take a Spinal Tap joke, or do you dare to call yourself a guitarist without having seen the movie?
:?

I really tried to scan the thread for the answers to these questions. I'm sorry if someone already covered any of this.

First off, do you need a clean tone? This might be a no brainer, but when I first got my DR back in '99 I didn't even want a lead tone!

So sorry to be tedious if this one was obvious but if you don't need a clean tone, you can just use the red for rhythm and the orange for lead (or vice versa).

Second, if you do need a clean tone and a lead tone, then you're dealing with the same problem as me: getting the most mileage you can out of a DR without a third channel, or the solo feature. here goes:

You can set up the effects loop as a to double as a volume cut ( or boost ). You can also add any compressor, verb, delay, ect. Another good idea is putting a graphic eq in your rack for a mid boost.

This way, you can run the rhythm tone as dry as you want (that's the way I prefer it), and you can still have a pretty saturated lead tone, complete with a volume boost. The part that gets complicated is if you prefer to have effects on your clean tone as well, and decide not to use the same effects for your lead. Such is the plight of the two channel DR owners. All in all I've not wanted to replace it in 6 years.

I dial my rhythm tone in around 7 on the guitar, then I turn up the volume for leads.

When I need more, I have an Analogman Beano. It turns my leads from singing to screaming.

I also sometimes use an EQ in the effects loop to give me a scooped rhythm tone, so when it's time for leads I bypass the EQ.

In the past I've also had good results with a Tubescreamer, and if your short on cash check out the DigiTech Bad Monkey.

Latest posts

Back