What Ohm V30's come stock in the 2x12 Rectifier Vertical Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I purchased this cab new in December last year and immediately had it put in a "live-in" type ATA Case.
It's a PITA to get it out to open the back of it, so being lazy, I only wanted to remove it once when I replace the speakers.
I don't like the sound of the V30's and am replacing them with an EVM12L on the bottom and a G12T-75 on the top.
I just need to know if the stock V30's inside are 8 ohms or 16 ohms so I can do a quick swap and not have to change the wiring to keep the cab at 8 ohms.
I know I can call Mesa, but I'm east coast and nobody is there yet. I am itching to know ASAP. LOL!

Thanks!

Well, you can either run a 2 x 12 cab with series or parallel wiring. Since you have an 8 ohm cab, if the wiring is series, the speakers will be 4 ohms each but if it is parallel, they will be 16 ohms each. My guess is that the wiring is parallel and the speakers are 16 ohms each.

YellowJacket said:
Well, you can either run a 2 x 12 cab with series or parallel wiring. Since you have an 8 ohm cab, if the wiring is series, the speakers will be 4 ohms each but if it is parallel, they will be 16 ohms each. My guess is that the wiring is parallel and the speakers are 16 ohms each.

+1
This is the far most likely scenario as I do not think V30's were even made in 4 ohms.
To be ABSOLUTELY certain, though you may need to call Mesa....or check if their website has a downloadable manual for that cab.... you can get those 24/7.
Good luck! :D

my Mesa 2 x 12 vertical recto cab has 2 G12 16 ohm speakers in it...Wired to be an 8 ohm load

Thanks guys!
I've been calling MESA all afternoon and keep getting xfrd to voicemail, they must be busy today.
I ordered the 2 speakers in 16 ohms. I trust the advice from this msgbrd.

My 2x12 recto had 16ohm v30's. Get a G12t-100 instead of the 75. You can read about them on celestion's web site.

I'm an old Marshall guy. My favorite speaker is the old G12-65, but I also like the 75.
I was playing my Mark IV thru a Marshall 4x12 cab loaded with the 75's and liked the tone a lot, so for now,
I stuck with the 75 to put over the EVM12L Classic.

I will definitely check out the 100 if I end up not liking the G12T-75 / EVM12L Classic combo.
I've read a lot of folks recommending that speaker. I'm going to test it with the V30 as well, since it's already in it.

You might be interested in the third speaker down: http://www.warehousespeakers.com/products.php?PHPSESSID=ac69c9c37989e72c9de309812a752864&cat=18&pg=2 - it's a T-65 clone by Warehouse, and I was reminded of it.

Good luck with your speaker swap!

Awesome! Thanks for the WGS link.
Much better than the $199 price Celestion is pushing for the reissue G12-65.

Yup. It is pretty likely that both speakers are 16ohms. In the absolutely strange event they are not, it is really easy to require a cab with a parallel wiring instead of a series wiring.

Made the speaker swap today, everything is perfect!
I really like the way this cab sounds now with the EVM12L Classic under the G12T-75!
IMO, much fuller, rounded single notes and better sounding lows.

Thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

Back