What OD pedals work well for you with the MArk series??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rispsira said:
rispsira said:
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations guys!!

What about the TS pedals. Should i go for a maxon or a keeley modified pedal? Also when keeley adertises the flexi as having the baked mod AND the standard one is it really tru? In other words would it differ if i got a keeley TS9 (the regular mod i forgot the name) and the "standard" (non baked) mode on the flexi??

Im always scared when it comes to EXTRA options or features! sometimes they affect the original feature you wanted but bought the complex one to have more "options"...

Anyone can answer this for me???

The Keeley TS9's are excellent with both of my Boogies. I have the Flexi and it has both the "Mod+" and the "Baked" mod available via toggle. Keep in mind that pedal starts as a Turbo TS9 that has 4 modes of its own, so you really have 8 total platforms with that one pedal. Yes, it's a great pedal, but if I were looking to keep my cost down and my options at a maximum, I would find a used TS9 turbo on one of the forums, and have Keeley do the Mod+ on it. Many, many excellent tones to be found within through my Boogies. That one pedal will take you from cleanish Jazz/Blues through fairly hard rock. I will never be without one.

There are many pedals that are excellent through Boogies...ie., Zendrive, Jetter Red, Jetter Gold, RATs, MI Audio Blue Boy. Those are some of my faves. Still haven't tried the BB Preamp, though. TS9 (and get a Turbo...it has the TS9 within + 3 other modes) is still an excellent contender.

Thank you for the info!! my only concern was that the mod+ mode on the flexi wouldnt be the exact same as a mod+ pedal due to additional parts/components

but i guess you are quite satisfied with it!

rispsira said:
Thank you for the info!! my only concern was that the mod+ mode on the flexi wouldnt be the exact same as a mod+ pedal due to additional parts/components

I had a regular TS9 Mod+ along with the Flexi and I couldn't hear the difference. Again, I strongly recommend the Turbo TS9 with the Mod+ (unless you can get a great deal on the Flexi). For the price of a Flexi, I would rather have 2 pedals with Mod+ (at least 1 Turbo) for stacking purposes. If you want deeper explanation, call Keeley.....they will help you.

LonesomeSheik said:
I'm using an Analogman King of Tone which is just THE OD pedal for me (wether with my Caliber50+ or my Mark IIB ) ; go to Analogman web site ! The only drawback is the loooong waiting list and you can't say it's cheap , but everything of quality 's got to be paid for !
Enjoy :wink:

I havent heard of that pedal before cool ill check it out!! thank you!

Snottyboy said:
rispsira said:

I had a regular TS9 Mod+ along with the Flexi and I couldn't hear the difference. Again, I strongly recommend the Turbo TS9 with the Mod+ (unless you can get a great deal on the Flexi). For the price of a Flexi, I would rather have 2 pedals with Mod+ (at least 1 Turbo) for stacking purposes. If you want deeper explanation, call Keeley.....they will help you.

Great advise thank you! So you have a use for stacking TS9's? isnt it too much with the boogie? im interested in your experience

Also i have heard great things about the MI audio blue boy as you mentionned and the zendrive.,

I was planning on purchasing a zendrive but cant make up my mind between the original and the zendrive 2. I asked the company because i wanted more details about the perceived musical differnces but all i got as a reply is that for reference petrucci uses the zendrive 2. which doesnt help much. Also i have heard that the presence of a tube in a pedal is useless because it isnt driven high enough (must be an electricity issue i dont know) and i dont know if thats true either

Any advise?

Thanks again!

rispsira said:
Snottyboy said:
rispsira said:

Great advise thank you! So you have a use for stacking TS9's? isnt it too much with the boogie? im interested in your experience

Also i have heard great things about the MI audio blue boy as you mentionned and the zendrive.,

I was planning on purchasing a zendrive but cant make up my mind between the original and the zendrive 2. I asked the company because i wanted more details about the perceived musical differnces but all i got as a reply is that for reference petrucci uses the zendrive 2. which doesnt help much. Also i have heard that the presence of a tube in a pedal is useless because it isnt driven high enough (must be an electricity issue i dont know) and i dont know if thats true either

Any advise?

Thanks again!

I had an MI Audio Blue Boy and a Zendrive at the same time. I really like the Blue Boy and for what it costs, I won't part with it. The Zendrive was probably a little sweeter, but not enough to justify keeping it (at the time). Having said that, I got a Zen 2 a few months later. Great pedal...very spongy, but still tight...a great OD.......I won't sell it as I see it as an absolute classic. Keep in mind, all these pedals are right out of the TS vein...different in their own rights and better at certain things, but none are exact clones. I personally love the how the midrange is voiced in the TS9, and nothing else exacts that voicing. As for stacking TS9's, here's how I do it.....Guitar > TS9 @ medium gain > TS9 @ low gain > clean amp. This gives me clean, low gain, medium gain, and singing lower gain when stacked. I will sometimes use a pedal with the higher gain channels for leads and runs, but not stacked.

Oh, and re: tubes in a pedal being useless......I disagree, at least with the Zen 2. I've used different tubes in my Zen 2 and the difference in tone is distinguishable.

Hope this helps....not to say I'm right about everything.....it has just been my experience.

quote]

I had an MI Audio Blue Boy and a Zendrive at the same time. I really like the Blue Boy and for what it costs, I won't part with it. The Zendrive was probably a little sweeter, but not enough to justify keeping it (at the time). Having said that, I got a Zen 2 a few months later. Great pedal...very spongy, but still tight...a great OD.......I won't sell it as I see it as an absolute classic. Keep in mind, all these pedals are right out of the TS vein...different in their own rights and better at certain things, but none are exact clones. I personally love the how the midrange is voiced in the TS9, and nothing else exacts that voicing. As for stacking TS9's, here's how I do it.....Guitar > TS9 @ medium gain > TS9 @ low gain > clean amp. This gives me clean, low gain, medium gain, and singing lower gain when stacked. I will sometimes use a pedal with the higher gain channels for leads and runs, but not stacked.

Oh, and re: tubes in a pedal being useless......I disagree, at least with the Zen 2. I've used different tubes in my Zen 2 and the difference in tone is distinguishable.

Hope this helps....not to say I'm right about everything.....it has just been my experience.[/quote]

Getting the TS9 is my priority but i was asking about the rest just to have more possibilities, and i guess you have me convinced on the Zendrive 2 instead of the original since you perceived a difference in tone when swapping tubes.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my silly questions!!! i really appreciate it! thank you

Latest posts

Back