What Mesa Amp Used A 15 inch Black Shadow?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundchaser59

Reaction score
I saw a 15 inch EV "made for Mesa Boogie" Black Shadow, and wondered what amp did Mesa sell that used that beast? The label says "EVM" on it, does that mean it is not a bass speaker?

I own two 1 x 15 cabinets in cream tolex, which I ordered from Mesa in '85. They are loaded with unlabeled 400 watt 15" EVML's.
Here's one of them with my Coli sitting on top of it.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43565&p=322073&hilit=supersonico#p322073

Well, I just did side by side with Weber Texas 1x10, Weber Texas 2x12, Weber (hemp cone) Silver Bell, and the Big Ben.

The Texas speakers are absolutely my favorite of the day, smooth, creamy, clear, cutting but not edgy or ice picky, just right. The Silver Bell is a great clean, but too gritty on the over drive. The Big Ben is noticeably smoother and darker than I thought, and I wonder if it just needs to be cranked harder to sound full and clear? Just judging by these low basement volume tests, I would guess that I shoudl not get a second Big Ben. Maybe that EV Black Shadow would be the best compliment for a dark and creamy Big Ben?

Some of the Weber 15's and the Legend 1518 are still unknowns to my ears as well.

Back