What Kind of Speaker for My Mark III 60Watt Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg

Reaction score
Hey folks -

Newbie here! Looking for recommendations on a speaker for my Mark III 60 watt combo. I presently use an Eminence Delta Pro 12 (the EV was way to sterile in this open-back combo) and combine it with my 1x12 Boogie combo with an EV (much better in the Thiele cab).

I play blues & jazz in the style of Robben Ford adn Larry Carlton and was wondering what you'd recommend. I use humbucker guitars (Heritage 535 and 150-Les Paul types).

Thanks for all advice!

If you didn't like the EV then you don't need to listen to what a lot of people say. ;)

I have used a Weber Michigan ceramic 12", an EV 12L Classic, an original 12L, an Eminence V50, a Celestion MC90, an Altec 4178c, and an EVM SRO alnico in my amp. I like the 12Ls, the Altec, and the SRO the most, and in conjunction with the 12L thiele, I probably liked the C90 the least.

The michigan was very inefficient and quiet compared to the 12L thiele. When I would use them both, I could only hear the Thiele, and alone, I'd have to turn the amp up halfway(!) to get any reasonably rockin' volume. I have a feeling I got a bunk speaker, but I haven't tried another one.

The 12Ls are very nice IMO and I disagree with your comment that they sound sterile. I owned a Delta Pro for a week but I sold it to a friend who needed a speaker before I got a chance to try it. The Classic and the originals are virtually identical.

The Eminence V50 is a real nice sounding speaker but you'd probably want to use two as they're 50w rating. They sound more like a celestion, but better than the MC90 IMO.

The MC90 sounded pretty good by itself at low volumes but IMO it didn't sound very good loud. Also, while many people love the MC90-combo/12L-thiele combination, I didn't feel either speaker complemented each other very well. I lost the clarity from both 12Ls - it just sounded too blurry for me if that makes sense.

The AlNiCo speakers I have had the least amount of time. The SRO is even louder than a 12L and it sounds great by itself or alone. The Altec is :shock: :mrgreen: :!: wonderful but mine was pretty used and needs a recone now.

Latest posts

Back