What is the gain structure of the mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesanomad100

Reaction score
hello,I own a nomad 100 combo.it is loud,seriously load,too load.Iam selling her in about january to help raise funds a new amp,im torn between a mark IV,dual rec or a cornford mk50.I love the gain structure of the recs and the tone of the cornford,the only boogie I havent played is the mark IV.I really have a craving for more gain as the nomad sometimes lacks this is certain scenarios.Also the sheer weight of the combo is almost enough to sell it but it is a beautiful amp.The mark IV I am looking at is the short head version and running this through a mesa 1 12" cab.any suggestions will be much appreciated.This is a dilemma for me and time is running out before I have to buy myself a new amp.[/b]

cheers,the volume doesnt really bother me its more the gain,I would class the nomad as medium gain and something like the dual rec as high gain if you know what I mean.If the power isnt right ill just put an attenuater on the beast to try and tame it.Its more the weight and gain thing.thanx again

I have the MKIV and have had the recto's. I settled on the MKIV and really like it it for a 1x12 killer combo for any gig. I'm a classic rock guy and more into getting vintage blues and classic rock out of the MKIV. Still I think many metal bands use the MKIV. To me the MKIV has the metal and the fender blues some marshall all rolled into one amp. I guess I'm saying MKIV 1x12 widebody combo.

cheers jamme61,thats some great advice.My fav band is Dream theater so I do want that really high gain sound without comprimising on tone,Ive played several dual rec and find that even although there is a hell of a lot of unique tone there its just not unique enough for me.I like my tone and the rectos sound like every other metal band out there where as other mesas do not they all have an individual voice

I really didn't like the recto's, like you said the sound they make is cool but it's over played to death. You should try the MKIV before you buy. The only problem I have had with the MKIV was it's to loud (bought a Weber Mass lite) and dialing in channel 2. I love the 1st channel and love the 3rd channel. I really liked the Lone star and LSS too but they're 2 channels and less gain IMHO, so I went for the MKIV. Good luck

Back