What is the best small Mesa Combo amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMesa

Reaction score
I play heavy rock (Old Metallica, Disturbed, etc..) so I like a thick tight distortion. I am looking for a amp for the house and was curious what you guys think are some of the best combo amps available? I want to keep my budget under $1000 used so no Mark IV's for me :( Right now I have been checking out the F series, Rectoverb, and Express.

If you check ebay you see the rockets going for around $500 and the MKIII's usually go for about 700-1000 depending on condition and features. Are you looking for small and light or just under $1000? The DC-3,5,and10 should all be under 1000 as well as the F series. Rectoverbs pop up on ebay and craigslist all the time for 750-1000.

Recently the Mark IV's have been going for about 1000 so it might not be a stretch unless you don't really want one.

Greg

Well i play through a DR live and at practice but at home I have this crappy little Line6 toneport that I can't get the tone I want out of it so I want a bedroom amp for the house. It will never be used outside the bedroom so size doesn't matter. I have tried the F series but that is abotu as far as my experience with the combos goes. I have always heard great things about the Mark IV's but I've never seen one within my budget, I'll have to keep an eye out. Right now I'm leaning more towards the rectoverb so I can get a similar tone as my main rig, makes writing songs easier for me I suppose. Just want to get some opinions on other combos before dropping the cash.

So, what did you end up getting? I'm looking for a portable combo so I can take my Mesa tone with me without hauling my Roadster head and full size cab around...

F-30.

Do a search on this forum. I don't think you'll find a single person who doesn't like their F-30, no matter what style of music they play.

I had to cut my budget way back so I got a VOX AD30VT and I am very happy with it... Otherwise I would have bought an F-30 by now!

Quick overview I posted:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=140620#140620

Latest posts

Back