What Features would you like to see in a future Express?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giorikas81 said:
I would not buy a mark V "just because it does those things...". I like to buy an amp for the sound first. I actually am planning to buy a second f-series amp and probably the f-100 head with another 1x12. I am not SO fond of the mark series as I used to be. I am really facinated with how the f-series works internally and the voicing overall and the express's modes/clean channel. I still have the studio preamp and the triaxis though if I ever need a similar voicing. I read somewhere that somebody wanted another 5:50 for stereo instead of a mark V. I could relate to that in many ways.

Anyway the mark V is redundant for me because it has the mark IIc+/IV voicings non-footswitchable in the same channel. I understand why boogie did this and they did add the solo boost, they must be variations of the same circuit so they are in channel 3 together. Channel 2 might be different enough. But still the ideal mark V would have them, as seperate channels, 2 and 3. And the clean channel to be a mark I type and nothing more!!!

To be tottaly honest I don't like having to employ a pedal to get your sounds. I hate almost every pedal distortion. Hate is a strong word. Distaste is more appropriate. Overdriving an amp is not the same with pedal distortion, but still is not the same as getting a seperate channel...Both f and express make me use some pedals to get more sounds at the same song.

I like many models "...as is" and versatility is in the ear of the user but functionality is very specific for how I like to play an amp especially live.

So how I feel stands. Mesa is doing it great soundwise, tottaly wrong function wise and especially for some simple features like the pressence, the loops and the solo boost/lead mode. Plus the thread asks about features for a future amp and not if anybody is happy with the express as it is now.

First of all, I'm the one who was talking about getting a 5:50 to use in stereo with my 5:25. I think that for my style of music, that could be an awesome sound, and I love the idea of having identical preamps so that one could be a backup.

I also think you should play through a Mark V. Set aside a couple hours at a dealer and really give that amp a try. I've played through one a couple times, and I've gotta admit that I really want one! Just honestly answer one question for me - have you ever played one?

Another idea: the Egnater MOD 50. Check that amp out. Using his modules, you can pretty much come up with any amp you want. Very cool!

It is a bit difficult to actually find an egnateer here in europe and in greece specifically!!! I'll give it a try. I haven't checked out the mark V yet, only one store can actually bring it and it needs an appointment. Because I work for almost the whole week an hour drive away it is a bit of a choire to do that but anyway. Several marks and even clones! are around and I cannot see exactly how much of an improvement will the V be sonically, although I will check it out eventually.

Funny thing is, I own many mesa stuff that if I sell I can take the V simply but I am still more interested in buying another f-series to have four channels and two power amps instead of getting another mesa. Or maybe a stero 2 x 1x12 mini stack one being the f-30 and the other power amp+studio pre. But I do want another f-series eventually

Ha, no its on the 50 watt setting, try yours everybody, put the clean channel on clean and put the mid right down for a vintage Fender sound, then fingerpick.
Its not loud enough for gigs, I mean unmiked with unmiked drums etc. My F50 is louder than my 5.50 on clean with the same settings BUT I found that even with the F50 I had to boost it with an EQ pedal to get enough volume and then it was distorting.

The 5.50 is not a budget amp, they are 3 times the price of a Fender hot rod deluxe which is the standard guitar amp worldwide today. A budget guitar amp is a line 6 spider or a Peavey Bandit, the peavey bandit was really the standard every day amp in the 80's when valve amps were not really available very much.

I borrowed a Recto from a shop but I didn't like it, I bought a Lonestar Classic 2x12, and sent it back, the 5.50 sounds better. The F50 has got a better clean sound than the 5.50, the 5.50 reverb is better.

Someone said they need an amp with 3 channels, I use the F50 on clean with lots of pedals, and the 5.50 aswell. So just use pedals, the overdrive is terrible on the amps anyway, the clean and driven gritty clean is where Boogie excell. Like a Vintage Fender but with big balls.

UKBoogieboy said:
Ha, no its on the 50 watt setting, try yours everybody, put the clean channel on clean and put the mid right down for a vintage Fender sound, then fingerpick.
Its not loud enough for gigs, I mean unmiked with unmiked drums etc. My F50 is louder than my 5.50 on clean with the same settings BUT I found that even with the F50 I had to boost it with an EQ pedal to get enough volume and then it was distorting.

Well I ain't gonna do your experiment cause turning the mid pot down to zero would just ruin the 5:50's clean tone IMO and I got no use for that - especially not at a gig. And I doubt there'd be many other people who'd find clean tones with no mids useful either. So you're on your own there UKBoogie. I've never seen anyone else use cleans with no mids and it's nothing like a vintage Fender tone IMO. Amps aren't designed for such extreme settings so that explains why you've had volume issues.

My mid pot stays around 11 oclock for cleans thanks and on 50w the loudest I've ever been able to get it at a gig is with the Master at 1 oclock. Haven't been able to get it even close to breaking up yet and can't see I ever will.

I luv the F-50's distortion like most people do but it's weak point for me is it clean tones. :mrgreen:

UKBoogieboy said:
The 5.50 is not a budget amp, they are 3 times the price of a Fender hot rod deluxe which is the standard guitar amp worldwide today. A budget guitar amp is a line 6 spider or a Peavey Bandit, the peavey bandit was really the standard every day amp in the 80's when valve amps were not really available very much.

I borrowed a Recto from a shop but I didn't like it, I bought a Lonestar Classic 2x12, and sent it back, the 5.50 sounds better. The F50 has got a better clean sound than the 5.50, the 5.50 reverb is better.

Someone said they need an amp with 3 channels, I use the F50 on clean with lots of pedals, and the 5.50 aswell. So just use pedals, the overdrive is terrible on the amps anyway, the clean and driven gritty clean is where Boogie excell. Like a Vintage Fender but with big balls.
to each his own. i really like the full on gain sound of these amps. i havent found a pedal that satisfies me. the clean pushed with an overdrive sound is also limited for me.
i also find fifty tube watts not quiet but not clean also in outdoor gigs. of course the design of the amp has much to do. there is a reason why twins or ac30 have that much clean headroom and others dont

Newysurfer said:
UKBoogieboy said:

Well I ain't gonna do your experiment cause turning the mid pot down to zero would just ruin the 5:50's clean tone IMO and I got no use for that - especially not at a gig. And I doubt there'd be many other people who'd find clean tones with no mids useful either. So you're on your own there UKBoogie. I've never seen anyone else use cleans with no mids and it's nothing like a vintage Fender tone IMO. Amps aren't designed for such extreme settings so that explains why you've had volume issues.

My mid pot stays around 11 oclock for cleans thanks and on 50w the loudest I've ever been able to get it at a gig is with the Master at 1 oclock. Haven't been able to get it even close to breaking up yet and can't see I ever will.

I luv the F-50's distortion like most people do but it's weak point for me is it clean tones. :mrgreen:

The amp is mid heavy, and even the settings in the manual tell you to set the mid at zero for a Fender sound, you need a hollow mid for the position 2 quack.
The 5.50 has got a funny mid sound compared to the F50 its not as flat, my pedals don't sound good through it, but they sound amazing through the F50.

The trouble is the tones on the amp are volumes!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOK at all the setting ideas in the manual! Sweet clean, and then later on in the manual Spankin clean, both show mid off, which is common sense when you hear the middly sound of the amp, you need to hollow it. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/ExpressSers.pdf

UKBoogieboy said:
Newysurfer said:
UKBoogieboy said:

The amp is mid heavy, and even the settings in the manual tell you to set the mid at zero for a Fender sound, you need a hollow mid for the position 2 quack.
The 5.50 has got a funny mid sound compared to the F50 its not as flat, my pedals don't sound good through it, but they sound amazing through the F50.

The trouble is the tones on the amp are volumes!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOK at all the setting ideas in the manual! Sweet clean, and then later on in the manual Spankin clean, both show mid off, which is common sense when you hear the middly sound of the amp, you need to hollow it. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/ExpressSers.pdf

ahh - right you are UKBoogie - there is one suggested setting in the Manual with mids cut to zero - the "Spankin Clean" setting. The Manual doesn't say anything about it being a Fender tone though. Spankin clean sounds better to me though thru my Strat with mids at 10 oclock and the bass rolled back to 10 also.

Do you use a Fender guitar for your vintage Fender tone or something else :mrgreen:

I think ASSIGNABLE MODE FUNCTION would be awesome.

I would love to use blues on 1 channel and burn on another.

I would love clean on 1 channel and crunch on another etc.

So yeah....assignable modes for channel 1 and 2.

I would also like to see a bit more gain on crunch and burn just for the sake that it's a mesa and in that price range it should please even the death deathly metallers.

I personally love the distortion it is thick and in a league of its own.

Back