what exactly do these amps weigh

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieDown

Reaction score
i'm seriously thinking about getting a lonestar combo these days and i've heard negative reports about their weight. i'm downsizing from my marshall tsl 100 watt 212 combo and am looking at compact 112 combos. i know the lss (which usually comes as a 112) is usually considered lighter than the lsc (which often comes as a 212), but what's the difference in weight between the lss and lsc 112 combos? i don't have access to a car so transporting this amp will be a job for public transportation (subway and bus). it would be a challenge either way, but i know it can be done. i'd have the amp on some kind of dolly, but still. what am i in for?

BoogieDown said:
what am i in for?

A seriously buggered back? The LSS is 58lb and it's a hefty lump. I'm not a 9 stone weakling and I struggled to carry mine around, hence selling it and buying a classic head. I think I'd look at something else....

mesa lonestar 2 x 12 is around 80Lbs. In a road case it's 90.
but it comes with wheels!

I think if you're set on a Lonestar, see if you can find a short [19"] 1x12 combo. That would be my choice for your situation.

-dave

jaquetapus said:
I think if you're set on a Lonestar, see if you can find a short [19"] 1x12 combo. That would be my choice for your situation.

-dave

Anyone know what a short Classic weighs?

Edward

edward said:
jaquetapus said:

-dave

Edward

We had a narrow combo in the shop a few weeks ago and it was REALLY heavy. I did one of those things where you go to pick it up and its alot heavier than you anticipated and it pulls you back down. honestly if you love the tone that much the weight wnt be an issue however (most Mesas) are way heavier than they would appear at first glance

lerxst88 said:
edward said:
jaquetapus said:

-dave

Edward

We had a narrow combo in the shop a few weeks ago and it was REALLY heavy. I did one of those things where you go to pick it up and its alot heavier than you anticipated and it pulls you back down. honestly if you love the tone that much the weight wnt be an issue however (most Mesas) are way heavier than they would appear at first glance

Thanks for that! I am accustomed to Mesa weight with my DC5 combo (a widebody), but that doesn't mean I want another boat anchor ...especially as I , um, get more "mature" :)

I think the head route is the way for me. From what I understand, they make a short head that fits atop the older "widebody" cabs ...23" IIRC. Thanks for the input!

Edward

edward said:
I think the head route is the way for me. From what I understand, they make a short head that fits atop the older "widebody" cabs ...23" IIRC. Thanks for the input!

Edward

Of course, shaving a bit of wood off either end of a normal sized head isn't going to make a huge difference to the weight... :)

PS: Mesa's site should have all that info...if not there it's probably posted on a GC, MF, M123 or Zzounds type listing.

Do yourself and your back a favor. Try to go the seperate head/cab route.

I have a 1x12 LSC combo, and I don't take it out much just because of the weight.

If a "head shell" became available I would grab it, and convert my combo to a head/cab, just to be able to transport it more easily.

-Gary K

(edit) Ok, I just read you want to take it on public transportation. The weight of the head is just what it is, you can't reduce that. But maybe you could find a lighter weight 1x12 speaker cab. Even at that, or as the smallest possible combo, IMHO its still a lot to manage on public transportation. You might want to check out the different amp/cab modellers (floor units), and just carry that around (in a gig bag) and plug it in to the PA at your destination.

I'm in the same boat as you, currently have a 2x12 monster and looking to get a Lonestar combo which will probably be a monster as well, but as my dad has said many times "If you didn't want to carry stuff, you should have played the flute." The lonestar tone is worth the weight.

Latest posts

Back