What do you do to keep your pick from slipping?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turumbar82

Reaction score
I was just wondering what other people do to keep their picks from slipping when they get sweaty from playing?

I've put scratches in my pick with a knife and that worked well and I've also took a lighter to it and that really makes it bumpy but almost too much.

I've heard of people using Gorilla Snot for rubbing into picks to make them tacky.

What do you guys use?

I've got the sweatiest, fishiest fingers around. B'lee me! I corrode my strings after a week. It's totally gross.

Anyhow.

I've tried everything (including Gorilla Snot!). So far, the best solution has been to play a LOT and sort of naturally learning how to not drop the pick. And keeping several around (mic stand, music stand, under pick guard, etc..) in case you do.

I haven't dropped a pick in years.

Strengthen your grip, if you need to, get one of these;

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gripmaster-Exercise-Tool?sku=429070

well here's the thing...I never drop my pick but it does start to turn sideways in my hand so that the point is no longer hitting the strings.

Turumbar82 said:
well here's the thing...I never drop my pick but it does start to turn sideways in my hand so that the point is no longer hitting the strings.

so.. uh.... straighten it? :?

Everly Star picks.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Everly-Star-Grip-Pick-Dozen?sku=110780

I hold my pic so that the text is on the top (under my thumb) which gives me something to feel that it's centered. That's enough for me to keep the pic where I want it and not drop it.

I use Fender 358 heavy.

I use a brand that only one out of 10 stores around me carry. They are called Cool Picks. The ones I use have this "cat tongue" surface and they look like slightly larger jazz III picks. I love em and grab a few every time I go to that store.

Wow are you serious?! The ones that say "COOL" on a blue patch on a white pick? I was going to tell everyone that as I was reading through this, because they've got great grip on both sides and are pretty sharp.

Well i don't use those exact ones but they are from the same people. Mine are light blue nyon picks shaped the same but a little larger than dunlop jazz III picks. The cat tong surface is a molded texture in the pick and nt something mearly glued on.

Latest posts

Back