What did I just buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesanoob

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7388938046

First off, that is a Mark III, right? I just noticed most other Mark III pics I've seen have an EQ, and some have an extra knob. The price seemed pretty nice, I've been looking to get a good tube amp for a while now(this will be my first!) and I've heard lots of nice things about the Mark III's and IV's. Any info you guys can give me is much appreciated.

Sure looks like a Mark III to me. I don't see a colored marker stripe on the back of the chassis (by the power chord), so I'm guessing it's a NO STRIPE (1st version of the Mark III). Also, my blue stripe logo says Mesa/Boogie, and the face plate reads Mark III, so your new amp must be a very early version for sure. Some do have EQ's, and some don't. Personally I like having the EQ, but you can always get an external one. To me every Mark III I've heard and played sound and feel GREAT (with or without EQ). I run mine in Simulclass (EL34 outside and 6L6 inside power tubes) MOST of the time. But it's fun to switch it to class A too.
GREAT PRICE...congratulations (& welcome aboard). :D

Thanks! I kinda just jumped on this at the last second, only had 20 minutes to decide. Then I started looking at other Mark III's that said "Mesa/Boogie" on the grille and had EQs and all that, had me a bit worried whether it's what I thought it was. I know the Marks are known for really nice smooth lead tones and some metal bands use the IV. Can the III pull of metal rhythm playing as well?

Ah, and I'll be needing a cab! Any suggestions for that?

You 'just bought' a first version Mark III.

The eq was only an option, all Mark series amps had the choice of having it when ordered. The logo was changed from "Boogie" to "Mesa/Boogie" during the life span of the III. There is a lot of variation in spec between any of the amps.

The III can definitely handle metal rhythm playing. For a cleaner rhythm sound, you'll want to use Rhythm 1. Rhythm 2 will give you a crunchier sound. Switching between the two Rhythm channels at even levels takes a lot of careful tweaking, so most users end up just picking the Rhythm sound they prefer and sticking with that and the Lead sound.

Another thing you should know is it's not a "simul-class 60/100" amp as it was described on the auction. It's a MK III simul-class model. In simul-class mode it's 75 watts. In class A mode it's 15 watts. The 100 watt version is 100 watts in full power mode and 60 watts in 1/2 power mode.
There seems to be a fair amount of confusion about this. I see this error on ebay a lot. I think people assume these are 100 watt amps because they have 4 power tubes. It's a cool amp. I think you'll enjoy it.

III's do have a TON of gain. With the presence up a lot I can get a really RAW, ultra saturated tone from the R2 and LEAD channels. To get that really scooped tone, I have to set my EQ to an exagerated "V". If that tone is needed, then you might want to check out an EQ pedal. But maybe not, you'll have to play with it to get comfortable with how they work. They have VERY sensitive and interactive controls, most knobs have some kind of boost or function for shifting tone. The III's do have some quirks, especially when trying to get all 3 channels to work together tonally. The reverb is kinda weak too. But I LOVE mine (no amps is perfect!) Their is a simple mod for getting the clean and R2 channel volumes to match. So currently I've set mine for clean, classic, and sustainging lead tones. But I've also in the past set it light crunch with the clean channel, Lead channel for medium "classic" crunch, and the R2 for a Van Halenesque (I&II) lead voicing. Their are a lot of tonal possiblities in them. The one thing I've found that the III's do really well is that they easily capture the raw British crunch tones with R2 AND Mesa's amazing lead tones with the Lead channel.

What speaker cabs? That's tough. I'm a celestion man myself. Though I believe that the stock EV12L in my combo is the best speaker I've ever played through (31yrs of playing). But they are $$$$!!
Hope it get shipped to you soon!!

"#1 - No mark or a little dot. Only a few hundred then some black marks or "+"'s .

- Lean and powerful amp with more output power than a IIC+"

I see a little black x on the back of the amp by the power cord, is that the "+" they're talking about?

EDIT: Also, the issue of how many watts it is, is there any way to confirm that this is in fact 15/75? Are you certain it's not 60/100?

simulclass can run either 4 6L6 tubes, or 2 EL34 and 2 6L6.
Yours happens to have 4 6L6 which will make it 85 watts in simulclass.
This is a gain machine, and a first version mark III. No EQ means you may want an EQ to put in the loop for now...
Nice amp, great price...
Good luck....
Get a great cab for it, closed back....
ax. 8)

In one of the photos there's switch on the front panel that says simul-class at the top and class A at the bottom. It's a simul-class amp. As far as I know all MK III simul's were 75 watts in simul-class mode and 15 watts in class A mode until the green stripe version. At that point the outside sockets were wired in pentode instead of triode and you get the higher power rating of 85 watts. I don't think it will matter much though because it will still be very LOUD!

What did you just buy? A BOOGIE! Congrats. Looks like a steal, too. 8)

Latest posts

Back