What Delay Pedal For Parallel EFX Loop??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Bill

Reaction score
I have several Mesa amps, some with SERIES LOOPS: some with PARALLEL LOOPS, like my DC-3 112 and my Maverick 212.

I know there's an issue running some Delay Pedals (like the Boss DD-20) in the Parallel loops of these amps.

What delay pedals will give me the best results with ALL of my amps? I need something that will work well with both the SERIES EFX LOOPS and the PARALLEL EFX LOOPS.

TIA,

Bill

Well I found that de DD-3 and DD-6 work well. The trick to getting any pedal to work is to set your FX mix to 90% and then tweaking the volumes. It worked for a Rocktron delay as well as for those Boss units. I using a GT-8 now and it works real well for the GT-8 as well.

The most important point when choosing a delay pedal for use with a parallel effects loop is that the pedal be analog instead of digital. Digital effects have a slight lag as the signal travels through their circuit path. This lag produces a noticeable difference in phase between the digital signal and the faster analog signal coming through the unaffected side of the parallel loop.

leather_face666 said:
Well I found that de DD-3 and DD-6 work well. The trick to getting any pedal to work is to set your FX mix to 90% and then tweaking the volumes. It worked for a Rocktron delay as well as for those Boss units. I using a GT-8 now and it works real well for the GT-8 as well.

This is just the oppsite of what Mesa says to do in the manual, LOL! I think it recommends using only 10% mix from a totally wet device.

I think I willl have to think outside the box, and give this a try!

Bill

Chris McKinley said:
The most important point when choosing a delay pedal for use with a parallel effects loop is that the pedal be analog instead of digital. Digital effects have a slight lag as the signal travels through their circuit path. This lag produces a noticeable difference in phase between the digital signal and the faster analog signal coming through the unaffected side of the parallel loop.

Surely you mean that the dry signal in the delay unit is analog?

And if it isn't (the usual case), setting the wet mix on the dealy to 100% and using the parallel mix setting to control the amount of delay signal added to the all-analog dry signal is the solution.

Boogie Bill said:
phyrexia said:
I have heard this argument before but I never had a problem with my DD20 while using my F50.

So how much of the delay do you mix in? Are you closer to 90%, or to the 10% that Mesa recommends?

Thanks!

Bill

i too have used a DD20 in my parallel loop. i set the pedal to line level (+4 db) and use the effect only output. the loop blend knob on the back of my amp is like 20% or so. haven't looked at it in a while though.

phyrexia,

I have a DD-20, too, and it is completely unuseable through the parallel effects loop of my Triple Rectifier. It produces a phase squeal that is like a constant sine wave, completely covering up all of the guitar signal.

tiktok,

RE: "Surely you mean that the dry signal in the delay unit is analog?". No, I mean that the unaffected signal in the parallel effects loop remains analog, while the delay signal is completely digital.

RE: "...setting the wet mix on the dealy to 100% and using the parallel mix setting to control the amount of delay signal added to the all-analog dry signal is the solution.". No, it's actually not...and that's my whole point. Any digital effect will experience varying degrees of lag in the circuit compared to the analog signal in the unaffected pathway of the parallel effects loop. This lag can produce anything from phase noise to flanging to white noise to a piercing, positive feedback whine.

I can't comment on the seies part of of your question, but as a DC-3 and F-50 player, I can't speak highly enough of the T.C. Electronic Nova delay. I max the FX level on the effects send, and still get completely clean tone and superb response.

plumptone said:
I can't comment on the seies part of of your question, but as a DC-3 and F-50 player, I can't speak highly enough of the T.C. Electronic Nova delay. I max the FX level on the effects send, and still get completely clean tone and superb response.

I just returned my TC Electronic Nova Reverb. I really liked it.. sounded good, variability & emulations were there... I just wanted something simpler so I got the Van Amps Sole-Mate (Accutronics Type 8) tank instead.

if you have the money to spend jump all over the new eventide timefactor stompbox.... you will not be disappointed

jdurso said:
if you have the money to spend jump all over the new eventide timefactor stompbox.... you will not be disappointed

Couldn't agree more.Unbelievable quality for short money.The new TC pedal stuff is great.Heck I just got a digitech RP250 which has Lexicon reverb in it.FX pedals are high quality/low cost these days.
Happy hunting 8)

Tweeked said:
jdurso said:

Couldn't agree more.Unbelievable quality for short money.The new TC pedal stuff is great.Heck I just got a digitech RP250 which has Lexicon reverb in it.FX pedals are high quality/low cost these days.
Happy hunting 8)

yeah eventide does there **** right.... i would love to get an eclipse but i'm both intimidated by the price and not sure if i would utilize the unit to the fullest extent to justify the price.... i'm more into delays and reverbs and i think that 400 bones for a unit for a unit that delivers those with the eventide quality is a steal.... especially since its priced a little above the dd-20, the new memory man, or the nova delay and does a lot more (midi capable), its a steal

I used a DD20 for a few years and never could get clean delays sounds from it and my triple channel DR. It was always a big muddy mess and if I turned the delay amount on the fx unit up too much I would get this awful oscillating sound. It also took up way too much real estate on the old pedalboard.

I switched a year ago to a Tc Electronics Vintage Delay. These have now been discontinued and replaced by the Nova Delay. I love the Vintage Delay in the DR loop. Keep in mind that your Master Volume also will dictate the overall performance of the fx loop. If you are playing your amp at bedroom volume then your delay will not come through like it does at higher volumes.

Ive been using my Analogman dd-6 for quite a while through different boogie amps both parallel and series and it always sounds great.
Ive never noticed any difference in sound between the different types of loops.

I use DD-20 but i only have rk and deuce which are series loops...
Thats said, if you wanted to use the DD-20 in a parallel loop you should be changing the output mode to wet only giving you only the delay repeats (still patch storable at the effect level) coming out of the unit and the amps dry signal as normal... this way set the level to whatever you want as a mix, you will simply store your delay volumes in your patches...

am i making sense? ... sorry if thats got nowt to do with what you were talking here. 8)

I use a Maxon AD808 reissue in the loops of my DC-3, DC-10, DC-5 when I had it, & my Heartbreaker with absolutely no problems.

I have also used a G-Major in the loops of all of these amps with no problem.

I don't give a flip what the book says, or what anybody else says, turn your FX Mix knob up.

It's your amp, set it to your tastes, not somebody else's. It doesn't matter if somebody has a PHD in Bunk Ampology.

I don't think I've even read the manuals for most of my amps.

I used a DD20 in the loop of a Dual Rectifier today at work and didn't have any problems, from TV volumes to gigging volumes. :?:

Latest posts

Back